Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those keeping score, Coldplay is now the Presumed Hot But Really Plain Chick finally getting her due while Radiohead is the Hot Girl Who Just Took Off Her Glasses, Let Her Hair Down, and Is Sexing Us Greatly.

Great success!

A gal I know at work who is also part of our musicians' group wants to work on a whole slew of songs with a handful of other chick singers at work. One of them is "Great Gig In the Sky."

My reaction to hearing this was pretty much: UGH.

#16 - The Clash - London Calling

51wGbZX-GWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Zoots, where is your George Michael now???

London Calling is a shit.

My hate on The Clash is something I cannot even explain, It's something actually very illogical, it's like that bitch that you see at the school, always showing off shit that she might not even have, yeah, this might not be a good example, but you know, there are things that one's always afraid of, something irrational, like those dudes that are scared of spiders, even those little ones, or people who are afraid of mustaches or wigs, google it if you do not believe me.
Yeah, this is what happens to me with The clash, just replace fear with hate. Hate is not a word I'd like to use, but It's the closest thing to what I feel about this record or any record in general, every little second of this is such a bloody mess, they tried too hard to make this some sort of super guide of 100,000 genres that they failed hard. It's not good pop, It's not good punk, It's not good reggae, It's not good ska, It's not good in general. There are the things that London Calling is: boring, overlong and too bland.

Listening to 'wrong 'em boyo' gotta be of one the worst experiences I've had.

I think I'll stop here.

Not to waste too much proverbial ink on an album that doesn’t warrant another review, but I need to vent. This album is boring to the power of 10; it genre hops, but that’s about it. Reggae, punk, dub, ska and rock are all touched upon in the most eye-wateringly bland way possible, ripping apart what makes each genre so great. The lack of imagination from TV crews soundtracking shows set in London has completely destroyed my chance of enjoying the title cut, but only about 3 of the other 18 make up for lost ground (I dig "Spanish Bombs" and "The Guns of Brixton", plus some other that I can't recall right now). Yeah, it’s true, I wasn’t around when this was released. I may be completely missing the genius of this record due to my age, but a true classic should rise high above context and sink its claws deep into anyone who listens, regardless of personal history. This just drifts by, and always makes me wonder why I’m not listening to Dead Kennedys or Crass instead.

its bold, its hip, its in your face, its punk, its wild, its rock, its junk, its crap!

The punk rock era was one of the worst forms of music, it started with the Velvets and ended in the late 70s with this album!

I'm really sorry about this, but London Calling was and is a complete mystery to me.
In January 1980 I was listening to more new music than at any point in my life and I'd give anything a listen. I found London Calling boring, it just sounded like yesterdays music.
Twenty years later and London Calling is hailed as a masterwork etc in many publications. I've tried several times to get into this Lp, but to date fail to see what all the fuss is or was about. There are plenty of late seventies/ early eighties releases that out shine this - everyone forgets the fantastic first Pretenders LP which was so exciting and "new" sounding.
If you must listen to London Calling do yourself a favour and ignore all the "Best albums" list bollocks and judge it on it's (un)musical merit.

For those keeping score, Coldplay is now the Presumed Hot But Really Plain Chick finally getting her due while Radiohead is the Hot Girl Who Just Took Off Her Glasses, Let Her Hair Down, and Is Sexing Us Greatly.

Great success!

Yes, indeed.

To those of you who spent over a year convincing me Radiohead was worth it ... thank you. Thank you very much.

Yes, indeed.

To those of you who spent over a year convincing me Radiohead was worth it ... thank you. Thank you very much.

I just don't see why a band should take THAT MUCH effort to get into. I'm not quitting mind you, I just don't really like that aspect of them.

I once heard someone sing along to Great Gig in the Sky when it came on in a restaurant over a jukebox :lol:

Whoaoh oh woooooooooooooooo! Ooooooooooooooh! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOHOHOHOHOHOHWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! YEEEOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! WHOO! WHOO! OH OH OH OH OH OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I hope you threw mashed potatoes at them.

16? I'm leaving Inference for ever.

Of course if I'd had done my list, the #1 place it would have received would have pushed it up some. Maybe I'll begrudgingly stay.

16? I'm leaving Inference for ever.

Of course if I'd had done my list, the #1 place it would have received would have pushed it up some. Maybe I'll begrudgingly stay.

Really fucked that up, didn't you, scumbo?

I had it at #4, I did my part.

I just don't see why a band should take THAT MUCH effort to get into. I'm not quitting mind you, I just don't really like that aspect of them.

I think that if you need to be convinced a band is worth it, then it's actually not.

#15 - Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

51SsjO-%2BUwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Classic. Just a little below Highway 61 Revisited in my eyes.

The most swearing I've done all year was while listening to this record, which is tedious and has fuck awful words. Look: just because the guy knows how to use a rhyming dictionary doesn't make him the greatest lyricist since Pindar. "Time is a jet plane: it moves too fast". Woah. That's fucking deep. Cos, like, jets, they're really fast, yeah? Man, this guy blows my mind!

Probably a 3 star but the overall rating is way to high. Bob gets way to much praise for very little.

Embarrassing foray into 70s singer/songwriter coffee rock. Soulless, ugly, and not well-written. Hey, I wrote this same review for Desire!*

* 0.5 stars awarded for the final two tracks.

Heartbreaking ballads about erectile dysfunction and what it means to be white.

Blood on THE Tracks. Double sweet. This is Bobby D's greatest moment. And the best breakup album everz.

Whoaoh oh woooooooooooooooo! Ooooooooooooooh! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOHOHOHOHOHOHWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! YEEEOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! WHOO! WHOO! OH OH OH OH OH OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I hope you threw mashed potatoes at them.

It wasn't that type of restaurant...I can't even remember what it served

I remember the top played songs on the Jukebox were I Kissed a Girl and Disturbia

Someone had to teach those people decent music, of course when one of the workers walked over and said "Let's get this party started" and Rihanna came on we left as quick as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom