Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated Kid A from the moment I heard it (other than the opening track), but somewhere along the way, I've come to kind of dig it. I checked out a copy from the library last year and was amazed at how much I liked it.

Still can't get into OK Computer, though.

That's pretty surprising, but at least you like one of the two.

I dig the Smiths a decent amount, but not too much. Same with The Cure.

Damnit, and here I was, thinking The Smiths might miss out on making the list.

I know, right? I pull out OK Computer at least once a year and give it a whirl, waiting for it to grow on me. I love Karma Police .... yeah, that's all I got so far.

Which means you love "Sexy Sadie." :)

I dug the first half of OK Computer right off the bat, but it took some time to get into the 2nd half. Now I love the head... the tail... the whole damn thing.

Kid A is still underwhelming to me (the first three and last two tracks are just brutal for me), but How to Disappear Completely and Idioteque are great tracks.

This little project will probably spur me on to check out some of the albums I'm unfamiliar with. Probably not the classic-rock types (although I might dig deeper into Bowie), but ... uh .... *looks around furtively* .... I've never heard a Smiths album that wasn't a singles collection.

I learned how to play Thom Yorke's part on Paranoid Android on guitar.

My greatest guitar achievement. Ever.

#18 - Radiohead - In Rainbows

4358793509a0cca608f67110.L.jpg

The 18th greatest album of all time was available for free on the interwebs and I missed it? Really???

The first true victim of the internet hype machine.

As the old lady said in the Wendy's commercials, "where's the beef?". This is largely a work of derivative, half finished ideas.

Radiohead has been treading the same old ground starting with the release of the self indulgent Amnesiac. Thom's vocals have become a bit tiresome due to the band lacking vocal balance like the truly great rock acts (Beatles, Pink Floyd). The best song(Reckoner) is largely taken from Sebastien Tellier:

YouTube - A Scanner Darkly / La Ritournelle mashup

"Faust Arp" is blatant wannabe Beatles, and the only real rocker(Bodysnatchers) sounds like dated leftovers from 90's alternative.

Hopefully the next album is up to par, and not too far away.

Thom Yorke is still hung up on his gimpy eye, he's made a career out of it since 'Creep' - an ugly little man in his mid 40's acting like an insufferable 20 year old student at a polytechnic college, studying uninteresting forms of Art, going on meaningless protests to ban the creation of Nuclear weapons yet pussies out when Tony Blair offers to debate him. So out of touch reality and after his stupid 'experimental' phase where he just added some boring computer sounds to his dull soft rock tracks, there is a "return" to something - to old B-Sides because the Waitrose-shopping old timer is too busy being a 'Dad' to future victims of bullying 'Noah' and 'Agnes'

Yet this is somehow relevant today, what has happened to our world? This is what amounts to "musical genius" in 2008, the year America are about to elect a communist into the Whitehouse out of misplaced liberal guilt, when only a couple of generations ago we had real works of the divine from true artists like John Coltrane, Miles Davis, John Mclaughlin - who didn't take 5 years to perfect their masterpieces. Why does it take Thom Yorke that long to add a few synth pads to his old B-Sides and pass it off as "new" and "daring" just because he put it online for free?

And what a scam as well, all you delusional Radiohead fanatics fell for it hook, line and sinker - reeling you in with the crap quality mp3 as a generous "gift" then saying you can have the extra goodies for 60 pounds.. only to announce after you wasted your money that they will release the extra crap on CD for a tenner.

Pathetic, I'm glad you all wasted your money on shit like that and I hope you all donated your life savings to Obama's campaign too. You deserve everything you're gonna get.

This album is excruciatingly boring and laughably bad. Literally laughably bad. Less than 30 seconds in to the first track, and I was laughing out loud at how much of a cliche mess this sounds like. The music is dated and it's been out for only two days!

I'm not a Radiohead fan. I only checked this out because I could legally get it for free and the hype was inescapable. If I'm going to be bombarded left, right, and centre by "OMGZ IN RANEBOEZ", I might as well have an idea of what people are talking about. If the previous Radiohead material I've heard hadn't convinced me that they're a really painfully boring band who don't deserve any of the praise they receive, then this did the job well. The cliches abound on this album. The strings to provide the impression of emotional depth are particularly insincere and repulsive. There is nothing unique or original here, barely any creativity whatsoever, and vocals about as painful as the sound of three cats being mercilessly strangled. Whoever thought it was a good idea to let Thom Yorke near a microphone was a complete idiot.

I don't know why anybody would listen to this trainwreck. Sure, there are worse albums, that's why this has just managed to escape the land of my 0.5 rating, but wasting your time on this album is akin to drinking petrol for fun. No good can come from it even if you do get high off the fumes.

ignorant fucking prissys just help to make online downloading the way to go well fuck your self radiohead your not even rock n roll anyway vinyl or cd is ten times superior in sound quality. and the music on this release is mediocre at best. Radiohead is nothing but a cash in

Can YOU guess which one is Axver?

I know, right? I pull out OK Computer at least once a year and give it a whirl, waiting for it to grow on me. I love Karma Police .... yeah, that's all I got so far.

OK Computer was a weird one for me. I didn't like it much when I first heard it and put it on the shelf for a long time. Then, all of a sudden when I threw it on after hearing "Karma Police" and "Paranoid Android" again and loving them, I understood the love for it. Now it's in my favorite albums.

Still can't get into Kid A though...

I like how Axver's review calls it a cliched mess during the part of 15 Step when it's just Yorke singing over the drum machine beat.

This album is excruciatingly boring and laughably bad. Literally laughably bad. Less than 30 seconds in to the first track, and I was laughing out loud at how much of a cliche mess this sounds like. The music is dated and it's been out for only two days!

I'm not a Radiohead fan. I only checked this out because I could legally get it for free and the hype was inescapable. If I'm going to be bombarded left, right, and centre by "OMGZ IN RANEBOEZ", I might as well have an idea of what people are talking about. If the previous Radiohead material I've heard hadn't convinced me that they're a really painfully boring band who don't deserve any of the praise they receive, then this did the job well. The cliches abound on this album. The strings to provide the impression of emotional depth are particularly insincere and repulsive. There is nothing unique or original here, barely any creativity whatsoever, and vocals about as painful as the sound of three cats being mercilessly strangled. Whoever thought it was a good idea to let Thom Yorke near a microphone was a complete idiot.

I don't know why anybody would listen to this trainwreck. Sure, there are worse albums, that's why this has just managed to escape the land of my 0.5 rating, but wasting your time on this album is akin to drinking petrol for fun. No good can come from it even if you do get high off the fumes.

Axver

In Rainbows!

I had a feeling people liked this more than they thought they would. Or at least, speaking for myself, when I tried making a list and choosing only 3 Radiohead records..In Rainbows turned out to be one of them. No one was more surprised than me.

drinking petrol

Dead giveaway that this review came from Aussie scum. Consider me not amused.

IN RAINBOWS is gorgeous, a nearly flawless record...but I'm surprised that it's ahead of KID A and THE BENDS. It's also got to be the most recent album to make the list.

#17 - Pink Floyd - Animals

c08da2c008a0b1cccdf9b010.L.jpg

:rockon:

Even Rolling Stone magazine and classic rock radio hates this album.

Ohh a factory and a pig and dirtiness. What a compelling symbol of modern alienation. The track listing looks like a complete catalogue of goth animal-name insults (except even goths would be too cool for this by far), but if you asked me and I hadn't seen the sleeve I would have guessed it was all one big long track because *the whole fucking thing sounds exactly the same*.

You know I lived in a factory district and it wasn't so bad (except the smell and everyone had rotweilers). I doubt Mr. Fancy Pants Art School Student/Millionaire has even seen a factory so stop coppin my hood for your moody snob pity-me symbols, jerkoff.

Well, this is the album that turned me off from Pink Floyd. Sure it is well-written but only in the direction of degrading the human race. Think about who you are when you listen to this and you will understand.

OVERRATED ALBUM,COME TO THINK OF IT PINK FLOYD IS OVERRATED.

IM ROGER WATERS AND ONE NOTE FOR FIFTEEN MUNUTES IS MUSCICAL!

no darkside, terrible music.

This is an over-rated musically decent sequel to Wish You Were Here with half of the concept of that album and half of the emotion. Say all you want about Welcome to the Machine, that shit meant something. Animals means nothing, it's only redeeming factors are Pigs on the Wing (parts 1 & 2), and those songs don't have any sort of repercussions like Wish You Were Here does, and they definitely don't serve as great intro/outro pieces like Shine on You Crazy Diamond.

Really take Wish You Were Here, remove everything that made the music special (not listenable), flip it inside out and you get a concept album with little to no concept or consequence. Pink Floyd would make another great album, and they had already made quite a few, but for some reason they became self-conscious and turned out Animals.

To those that are thinking, "Well it is based on Animal Farm." Ask yourself at what point during Dogs, Pigs or Sheep do you feel like you did the first time you read said novel. At what point are your emotions even similar?

It isn't as if this doesn't work for me, it just doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom