Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be kind, now - "Strange Days" and "Waiting for the Sun" are excellent as well.

As for Bowie, why no appreciation for "Aladdin Sane"?

I prefer it to Station to Station, actually, but I'm still not the biggest fan of it.

The title track, however, is loads of awesome.

Be kind, now - "Strange Days" and "Waiting for the Sun" are excellent as well.

As for Bowie, why no appreciation for "Aladdin Sane"?

Fourth or fifth for me. I enjoy that album, just not as much as some others.

I think that's how a lot of people feel.

Non-linear storyline for the fail. A semi-interesting idea screwed up by rare pretentiousness by Bowie.

Not a bad album, some good tracks in there.

Non-linear storylines can work for film, since you know, it's a visual medium, but how anyone can think it will work in the album format absolutely baffles me.

Surprisingly, Bowie's step into the pretension pond came when he was involved with David Lynch. See how that works?

I've spent the last hour plus reading this thread :crack:
I skimmed most of the reviews (comments) unless "noted".
Wow. I need a computer break. I was supposed to be working this last hour :shifty:
I'll be following along when I return.

Didn't submit a list for this, though I think hubby did. I'm not a Bowie fan, that's fo sho.

\carry on!

Non-linear storylines can work for film, since you know, it's a visual medium, but how anyone can think it will work in the album format absolutely baffles me.

Surprisingly, Bowie's step into the pretension pond came when he was involved with David Lynch. See how that works?

Never fails.

#25 - David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

41mBHs6VjLL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

No arguments here, though I prefer a couple of his albums to this.

Another alarming case of the overrating pest. Only Mick Ronson is to be saved here. Nothing to do with the best Bowie as you can find in his period from David Live to Lodger. Overrated

Four tracks on this record, "Starman", "Lady Stardust", "Ziggy Stardust", and of course "Rock'n Roll Suicide", are surely among Bowie's best songs ever. But the rest is unfortunately much weaker (and partly even unbearable, I think). That really shouldn't be for a RYM top-twenty contender.

Try Hunky Dory for a much more consistent one.

David Bowie can most accurately be described as 'overrated'. Although his cocky 'concepts', stage antics and esoteric flirtations are interesting and even vaguely enjoyable..... the music doesn't do it.

David Bowie is one of these artists either you really like or you wonder what the big fuss is. I'm in the fuss group. I have never been into groups where guys act or dress up like girls.Here, he is at his glam and drag best, but for me no thanks.

Okay I'm off to a holiday party with work people! which means I will not be at a computer for another 2 hrs at least. I will have to catch the rest of this thread later. :(

:wave:

Ziggy was on my expanded list, but it didn't make the final cut since I already had three Bowie albums.

#24 - The Beatles - The White Album

21IVvn7zGAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Not their finest album, but it has its moments.

This album would be good if it wasn't full of trashy filler songs which drag the album down. This is the equivalent to Pink Floyd's "The Wall."

1/10

One of their best.

I DON'T KNOW WHO THESE GUYS ARE, BUT THIS IS DEFFINATELY THE WORST ALBUM THAT I'VE EVER HEARD. THIS BAND HAS ABSOLUTELY NO POTENTIAL FOR COMMERCIAL SUCCESS!!! YUCK!!!

Dear people who have rated White Album as one of the best records ever made, please go and pull your heads out of your asses. This collection of unimaginative, moronic and disgusting pop songs should be the best world has you to offer? Especially the bluesy and wo-hoo-have-a-fun-time-rock n' roll - songs are all clumsy and embarrassing to the extreme. "Honey Pie" must be the worst of the bunch. If all these songs were made by a lesser band it wouldn't matter half as much, but as this record, among the other Beatles records, is so revered and even worshipped by so many people around the world in many generations there really should be something worthy in them. Of course lots of this religion-like blindness has to do with not only nostalgia but being the most famous band in the galaxy creating a vicious cycle of neverending admire of mediocrity and worse. People believe the art of The Beatles really has to be marvellous as everybody else says so and they have heard the songs so many times in many occasions it becomes the unshakeable truth. Naturally The Beatles has an important place in bringing some nice ideas to the mainstream with their psychedelic records and most of all encouraging young people to form bands. But as creators of at least decent records they are incapaple of. They can't even fill that cap of talent with their singing and playing, as those have never been anything special either (if you don't count specially annoying).

Besides "I Will" (having heard a much better cover of it before) and "Helter Skelter" listening this the whole way through was a complete waste of time. It was pretty much what I suspected, so I should have just stuck to my gut instinct. Well I got what I asked for for being curious, but the good thing is I have no need whatsoever to hear this again. The only way I could pretend this to be a great record in the slightest way, is to hit my head with a basebal bat a few good times. Well actually hitting myself with a baseball bat would be more enjoyable than listening this audio diarrhea ever again.

This has got to be the most overrated album of all times. There is only one really good song on the album: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". I will never get bored with hearing that masterpiece. The rest of the songs though are either mediocre or - excuse my french - pure scheiße.

What I think has happened here is the "Metallica phenomenon". People who didn't like heavy metal music back in the 80's, still said they liked Metallica. Only 'cause it was cool to like Metallica. Same thing here. People think that this must be a really good album, since so many people like it. Or at least claim they like it. Well, you can't fool me, because I have listened to this album several times over the period of the last 20 years.

Or - at the age of 35 - maybe I'm still too young for the world's most famous double album. Only time will tell...

Wow. The Beatles are human it appears. I was blown away by Sgt. Pepper's, Revolver and Rubber Soul, but this absolutely sucks. There are a few keepers here, but nearly everything else is horrible. Keepers include, "Back in the U.S.S.R.", "Dear Prudence", "Glass Onion", "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill", "I'm So Tired", "Blackbird", and "Rocky Raccoon." Other than that everything else is either mediocre or totally blows.

I mean, if this was a normal Beatles album with only 14 songs, and the ones that I like were in it, and there were five sub par ones then you'd have a good album. But thirty songs that's not a concept album? That's just way too much. Skip this shit.

What about Heroes? (Genuinely curious if it's going to be there, it was pretty high up on my list)

I doubt it, to be honest.

"Heroes" is probably his finest track, but it's kind of uneven apart from that.

Bowie had a good run, I'm surprised he had two in the top thirty, but very pleased.

I reaaaallly reallly don't like the White Album. I know I may act like I don't like the Beatles, but for the most part it's simply that I think they're overrated, and I do really like some of their stuff (there, enjoy that confession), but I truly, truly do not like the White Album.

The White Album?

Should I be happy that half of a great album made it or sad about it being made out of so much filler?

I'll settle for both, I guess.

I love The Beatles, but there's too much I don't like on The White Album for it to be a favorite of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom