Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Coldplay really have any fans? Most people I know like them but hardly obsess over them at all

I read an interesting review once that made that very claim: no one wants to admit to being a Coldplay fan. Personally, I like them, but do not find them to be anything particularly noteworthy.

So, in summary, I really need to look into getting some Flaming Lips' albums?

Yes.

Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, Clouds Taste Metallic, The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi..., and At War with the Mystics are the keepers, the rest is optional, I'd say.

Coldplay have made a couple of great albums but they're never really made an outstanding album. Still good band even if it's cool to hate them

Nice.

The Soft Bulletin still has a chance of showing up, I would say.

That's what I was thinking too. :up:

I was torn between putting Clouds or Transmissions on my list, but I ended up listening to Transmissions on repeat for a couple days and connected to it quite a bit. They're all classic albums.

So, in summary, I really need to look into getting some Flaming Lips' albums?

Yes. :drool:

Yes.

Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, Clouds Taste Metallic, The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi..., and At War with the Mystics are the keepers, the rest is optional, I'd say.

They've been on my list for a while, haven't gotten to them yet. I think I'll start soon.

Noted. I think I had four of those already listed as necessary.

Coldplay have made a couple of great albums but they're never really made an outstanding album. Still good band even if it's cool to hate them

They've made 2 solid albums, a decent one, an absolute piece of shit, and have a few notable tracks that will probably stick around... but nothing to warrant the kind of popularity that they currently have, I don't think.

#34 - Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde

51BP3WK1X2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I can only take so much Dylan. Usually, 50 minutes is plenty. 75 minutes would be manageable if not for Temporary Like Achilles and its ilk. I like this album quite a bit, but it's near the middle of the pack for me as far as Dylan goes.

This is the album that receives the accolades? This? Uninteresting generic melodies taking turns with 12 bar blues crap???

NAUSEA MUSIC f..k Dylan

I get so pissed when I hear an album by a living legend and it's just full of crap! I know that I'm going to hell for this but Blonde on Blonde is just a lame, boring, useless piece of shit that has almost destroyed my believe in the human race. Okey, maybe it's not THAT bad but I'm truly and honestly disappointed and I probably won't listen to it for the next couple of decades. However I will give this album one point but that's only because of his hair on the cover. Thank God for Blood On The Tracks and Desire.

"We must stop all blonde-on-blonde violence!" - Al Sharptonsson.

Forget blonde-on-blonde violence. It's this music that's violent. Violently awful.

"Blonde On Blonde". That must be a clandestine message about his fans: blonde in the head from the day they were born...

Love that cover. Out-of-focus Dylan. "Out-Of-Tune Dylan" would have been a good title to match that...

And what's that bird's nest doing on Bob's head? Is that some new "deep" symbolic image whose meaning we're all failing to grasp as fast as we should? Does it represent the chaos that torments the human condition, or is it merely a representation of a guy who refuses to comb his hear so that he can look like an "artiste"? And why is that damn nest empty? Is it because the birds and their eggs all died from having to listen to Dylan rehearse for an entire 15 minutes?

I was torn between putting Clouds or Transmissions on my list, but I ended up listening to Transmissions on repeat for a couple days and connected to it quite a bit. They're all classic albums.

Awesome.

I saw this movie The Promotion the other day, and not only does it have Pam in it looking as hot as usual, but "Turn It On" started playing during the last 5 minutes and I smiled.

It's a pretty good movie overall, too.

Blonde on Blonde is one of my favorite Dylan albums. I can't listen to "I Want You" without having a big grin on my face... it's like Lennon's "Oh Yoko!"

Awesome.

I saw this movie The Promotion the other day, and not only does it have Pam in it looking as hot as usual, but "Turn It On" started playing during the last 5 minutes and I smiled.

Jenna Fischer is fantastic. I don't think it can get much hotter than Blades of Glory for her, though.

Speaking of which, is a new Office on tonight? Season five has been pretty good, better than I expected (and season four).

#33 - U2 - Pop

c83d90b809a0bf48cc167110.L.jpg

Pop is the template for all of U2's post-Achtung Baby schlock. Not that Achtung Baby was all that great, either, and god knows what the fuck was up with Zooropa. Pop, though? Blech.

How does a band go from being relevant and interesting to completely obnoxious as thoroughly as U2 did? These guys were on top of the world in 1985. By 1992 or so they were absolute wankers, and with the release of Pop they'd become complete and total narcissistic assholes. How does that happen?

I absolutely loathe Pop. The band is trying to have it both ways on these songs. They want to be taken seriously one moment, the next they're begging off and just making pop music, often within the same song. It comes off as flippant and arrogant. I find myself getting tense and frustrated listening to this album. It's not real. It's not fun. It's not passionate or articulate. It's commercial schlock. It's product. It's a way to make a lot of money.

I suppose I take it all a little too personally. I liked the band quite a lot in the early eighties. They seemed to stand for something. I guess I feel jilted in the way a lot of kids in the sixties felt when Dylan went through his first of many transformations. The big difference was that Dylan always fought the moniker of being spokesman or an icon for any for any given cause while U2 fostered it. I suppose to me Pop represents U2's ultimate fuck you to anyone who took them seriously in the early days.

Well, fuck U2.

The first, worst and definitely the last U2 album I'll ever own.
I don't even have the courage to listen to it once again in order to write a proper review.

Oh, don't get me started on this piece of shit!

WTF is this garbage? Honestly I didn't like this at all. Leave the techno for The Prodigy, Bono!

The musical equivalent of a "You've Been Framed" clip.

This album is the worst ever by U2. Some of the songs give me a headache or a stomach ache, literally. Staring at the Sun is good, but the lyrics are creepy. Gone is the only good song. Wake Up Dead Man is ok. The whole Pop era was a disgrace to an otherwise impressive career.

Bloody awful album. I like most U2 albums but this one is where things started going horribly wrong (or perhaps the nadir). Bono's voice sounds crap, the lyrics are lame, and the music benign. Poor.

Good music for: playing in your garden shed. When you're miles away in your car.

Awesome.

:hi5: "Turn It On" is a great song. How's the movie?

Blonde on Blonde is one of my favorite Dylan albums. I can't listen to "I Want You" without having a big grin on my face... it's like Lennon's "Oh Yoko!"

:yes: It was the highest ranked Dylan album on my list.

Ha. U2's best improvement from studio to live, but still, not a very good studio effort aside from a few tracks.

Jenna Fischer is fantastic. I don't think it can get much hotter than Blades of Glory for her, though.

Speaking of which, is a new Office on tonight? Season five has been pretty good, better than I expected (and season four).

:yes: Toby returns! :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom