Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
#47 - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

51jaJ3ZbJ8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I'm surprised that it's this low, honestly. Wilco's best album, and you can't convince me otherwise.

A watery thin gruel simmered from the great albums of the late 1990s - e.g. Elliott Smith, Sparklehorse, etc. It grates, it simpers, it blathers. And yet somehow we are still shocked at just how underwhelmed we feel by the end of side 4. Oh ok, you got me. I haven't ever made it that far. And I spent a fair chunk on this too. You'd think I'd sit through it all, if only for financial reasons. But no. Not a bit of it. The thing is, there simply aren't any tunes. I mean really though. No fucking tunes whatsoever. And if you argue with that, fine - but know one thing. You have no ear for melody. In fact, you're basically tone deaf. Actually, that's what this whole record is - tone deaf. Despite its heroic efforts to the contrary it's exceedingly unmusical. Summarily then - a very, *very* overrated record.

Maybe a little bit better than I expected, but not much. Sounds like it was written with at least half an eye on the TV incidental music market. Not unpleasant on the whole (though it has its moments, like the quiet reversing vehicle beep at the start of "Poor Places", and most of "Radio Cure"), but not obviously remarkable, either. The whole thing sounds too keen to avoid offence; sampling a numbers station and making it unthreatening sums up the record's questionable achievement.

Great - if you're into shit music

I'll die laughing if he's stringing you guys along...

then I'll feel like and ass and say "sorry about that, guys" :(

#46 - Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

31VNRBXN6AL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And there you go. Don't hurt yourself in your excitement.

Can we all say "no talent Kate-Bush ripoff" kiddies? Yes, I thought you could....

The second release by dear Myra. I bought this one day, and I still regret it. "Tear in your Hand": _"I bet you're not leaving me because Charles Manson and I like the same taste of ice cream…"_
Somebody should've made her shut up in 1991. They could've smashed her piano, nailed that… horrible box she's in (on the LP cover) shut, and then they should've sent it to Antarctica (but not to the Cocteau Twins' Victorialand of course). Myra's just an American, whiny, jangly, ageing woman.

On the one hand you have The Office (UK): that smart, original, deeply moving and brilliantly funny sitcom by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

On the other hand there's The Office (US), which is painfully stupid and amazingly unfunny.

On the one hand you have Kate Bush, that lovely, highly original and gifted musician from the UK.

On the other hand there's Tori Amos.

#47 - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
I'm surprised that it's this low, honestly. Wilco's best album, and you can't convince me otherwise.

I really didn't know where it would fall so I guess I'm glad it's here at all. Would've been top 10 on my list, although in my head at least 20 records are top 10 so, I dunno. :reject:

On the one hand you have The Office (UK): that smart, original, deeply moving and brilliantly funny sitcom by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

On the other hand there's The Office (US), which is painfully stupid and amazingly unfunny.

On the one hand you have Kate Bush, that lovely, highly original and gifted musician from the UK.

hehe

on The One Hand You Have The Office (uk): That Smart, Original, Deeply Moving And Brilliantly Funny Sitcom By Ricky Gervais And Stephen Merchant.

On The Other Hand There's The Office (us), Which Is Painfully Stupid And Amazingly Unfunny.

On The One Hand You Have Kate Bush, That Lovely, Highly Original And Gifted Musician From The Uk.

On The Other Hand There's Tori Amos.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaa!

#45 - Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town

51gCBWu7y3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Let's see if we can get everything Bruce ever recorded on the list! :hyper:

If this slow, monotonous collection of ditties about nowhere people who have no reason to live doesn't make you want to lock up the razor blades, then you truly have a career ahead of you taking care of terminally ill patients. I listen to this album when I'm depressed, and I feel MUCH worse.

Though many rate it highly for its hard-rocking and supposedly dark qualities, in reality Darkness was as overblown and pompous as stadium-rock ever got. On songs such as "Badlands", Springsteen - who could be brilliant as a folk singer - sounds like he wants to play dance-rock so typical of 1970s radio. Even if his voice is not generic like most stadium-rock singers and is still recognisable from the masterful The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle of five years before, his players, no matter how much they try to rock, cannot overcome the pomposity of the sound.

Hey, what happened here? Where did all the energy go? On Darkness on the Edge of Town, Bruce Springsteen sounds like he’s asleep on most of these songs. I really, really don’t like most of this album.

That ill-thought-out argument goes nowhere fast with me. Ha.

I love them both, though.

Great list.. great albums.. great work lemon Melon..

Btw.. listening to Chinese Democracy on myspace at the moment (it does exist).. oh boy..
Not very good.. to say the least

#44 - The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

61E4972sPxL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I fucking love this album. Good job, guys. :up:

I had heard great things from friends about this album so I was excited about hearing it for the first time. How dissapointed I was. For starters, Ian Brown`s singing is so bad it`s beyond words. There is little or no distinction between songs and they go on too long. I do concede that I like "She Bangs the Drum" and "I am the Resurection". Other than that, this album is one of the poorest I`ve heard and is certainly not ground breaking in any way.

I should have taken heed per Alan Williamson. I'd heard this band could be like Led Zeppelin. I was hoping for something like that or maybe a Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam or Nirvana.
If you're looking for the kind of music I've just referred to, the Stone Roses aren't going to do it for you.

When Mike & The Mechanics ushered in the `Madchester' scene with The Living Years it was only a matter of time before these jokers attempted to jump on the bandwagon. If you want to be adored you should write some decent songs lads!
Verdict: don't waste your money.

Dear British people: You know how you feel about Springsteen? Yeah, that's pretty much how the rest of the civilized world feels about the Stone Roses.

And influence? Fucking Oasis.

Most overrated album of the 20th century

:hmm: I think I had two from each, but I have a feeling that we're going to see an overload of both, especially Radiohead, who I love a couple albums from, but not nearly most or even all of their albums are great to me.

#43 - Nirvana - Nevermind

514q1roTpwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Speaking of the most overrated albums of the 20th century...

Hey, being good is boring, how about we try sucking for a change!

One of those CDs that seemed like a good idea at the time. Looking back it was all hyped up sub-average crapola. Thanks to the miracle of garage sales I was able to recover $2 of my purchase price.

I'd rather listen to people dying then this shit

The absolute worst fucking album of all time. If had a copy I would let my dog shit all over it then piss on it.

Nirvava = A guy who can't sing or play guitar writing a bunch of songs that outcasts and losers identified with.

The musicianship on this album is horrible. They would have been nothing without MTV cramming them down people's throats. One of the most overrated bands of all time.

So damn overrated. Apparently, you can achieve Nirvana by hanging out at the intersection of Rehash and Dullard streets. I wish that squirrels would hibernate.

Band:

Kurt Cobain: Vocals, Guitar

Krist Novolesic: Bass

Dave Grohl: Drums

True, when this album was released in 1991, the music world was in pretty awful shape. Hair metal ruled the airwaves on both radio and television, and the alternative scene wasn't very promising either; Bono's Jesus-complex made most punk-rockers sick. So when Nirvana's first major label album, along with its landslide hit single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" hit the streets, America changed overnight. In one sweep, the rock landscape went from bloated solos and teased hair to no solos and uncombed hair. It also went from bad to worse.

Throughout this album, one understands that Kurt Cobain, singer, guitarist and songwriter, has a problem writing lyrics that makes sense. Read any mainstream review of this band and you'll see descriptions like "angst-filled," "angry," "depressing," "bored," etc. and yet not a single example from the album to support these descriptions. Why? Because the truth is that this album says nothing. I could give a bunch of excerpts proving this, but the point is that none of it makes sense, so giving examples of some songs that make no sense is a nil point indeed. Fans waste hours and indeed, lifetimes trying to determine what exactly Kurt Cobain was trying to tell us all. I can say I've already figured it out. Hint: nothing, because he couldn't articulate a thing.

Of course, lyrics are only half the music, so you must weigh the musicianship behind the album as well. And instrumentally, it's pretty clear that these guys suck. Dave Grohl can play fast; so what? It's generally the same beat, with same lame, generic surfer-rock fills as intros from time to time. Krist Novolesic's bass lines are annoying and whimsical sounding, as if a kid had just got an effects pedal for his bass he never learned how to play and made some cool new sounds that he put behind a song. Kurt's singing could be good but unfortunately he wastes it, opting to usually either shout or scream instead of hold a proper note. The guitar playing is pathetic as well; the solo to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is as good as this guy's playing ever got, and that is a 100% true statement. Let the laughter begin.

The sad part is that you get the sense that these guys could play well, they just choose not to because they're too busy trying to be all "punked out." Dave Grohl can play drums; so why doesn't he do it? Krist Novolesic can play bass; why doesn't he do it. Kurt can sing; why doesn't he do it? Kurt can play gui-- well, never mind.

It's interesting that an album that says nothing and means nothing became the cornerstone of an entire generation.

No wonder the 90's was so terrible musically.

True, Nirvana started a revolution with this; a revolution of incredibly crappy music. Like Creed? Thank Nirvana. Like Nickelback? Thank Nirvana. Like Tool, one of the worst rock bands today? Thank Nirvana.

Anyone who can stand listening to this Godforsaken album all the way through deserves a reward. And anyone still under the wrong impression that this band was anything more than stoned out piss-poor musicians and a guy who liked to mix up random lines out of his "poetry books" to make pathetic excuses for lyrics is naive.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom