Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
#81 - Michael Jackson - Thriller

51VRdpYNU9L._SS500_.jpg

Surprisingly fun stuff, even for a jaded indie douchebag such as myself.

.5 for Paul McCartney's performance, 0 for Jackson

so overrated it's a joke. does anyone actually still listen to this crap?

I use this album to scare stray animals out of my neighborhood.

I wish the tiger was a full grown,hungry tiger.And freakman was wearing a meat suit.

Total crap. MacDonalds Music for the MacDonalds Culture. All saccharine and sweety pie. Michael aint my main man. Just look at him now! Adulation has festered inside Peter Pan and turned into plastic surgery pizza face. The boy can do no wrong - except when you can't see everything. Posters of him on your bedroom room led him to take chillen into his private chamber. No excuses for this poser. Who actually gives a damn. Of course he made it big. Radio loves this crap. Safety for the Masses. He tried to scare us next time by being Bad. He don't cut no crap with me. This album always made me wanna puke. Michael where are you now? Disco moves mean loser grooves. I DON'T WANT MORE EXCUSES. Ronald Reagan now has ALZHEIMERS coz he loved listening to elevator music for sheep. Ronald loved Mike, except Mike even out weirded Ron. Hell Mike outweirded everyone. Abuse in his chamber and the $$$$ you spent buying this rekkid helped kids get abused???????????????????? Long Live Rock'n'Rolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

#80 - Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love

c7d292c008a09bdc2885b010.L.jpg

Yes, guys. It made the list, fair and square. Don't hate.

ugh-I didn't like this at all. Pretentious tinny sounding techno disco from the 80's. The ninth wave is just a bunch of obnoxious noise.

I just don't get this album.

A LOT of people compare Kate Bush to Tori Amos (one of my favorite artists ever). Many people compare Kate's "Hounds of Love" to Tori's "Little Earthquakes". But I sometimes wonder if people listen to albums before comparing them. Because in reality, besides both have women sing on them, and both having 1 solo artist, "Little Earthquakes" and "Hounds of Love" couldn't be farther apart.

But I really didn't go into this expecting something as good as "Little Earthquakes" because that is one of my favorite albums of all time, so it would silly to expect another to be that great. Nonetheless I was still really excited for this, I love poetic women singers!

But Kate Bush isn't near what I expected. Sure she is a women, and she is a solo artist, that part I expected. But I didn't expect the fact that Kate Bush would sound THIS DATED!

Kate Bush's album must have sounded dated the moment it was released, because I can't imagine when this was actually not dated.

The album offers you everything from complete filler (such as "Waking the Witch"), to songs that are just totally annoying (such as "Under Ice). But yet the album offers hardly any real standouts (besides "Running Up that Hill (A Deal with God)" of course).

In addition to the fact that this album hardly has any standouts, it has no real lasting emotions or anything either. Is kate angry? If so she is terrible at showing her anger. Is she sad? If so she is terrible at showing that too. No emotions are really shown here.

This is an album I just don't understand. Its INCREDIBLY dated, old, and meaningless. Sorry Kate, but your no Tori Amos!

A solid two stars. Liking this album depends entirely on whether or not you're sold on her new age / celtic influences. And whether or not you can stomach her self-conscious 'eccentricity'. Although I seem to be in a minority on this count, I don't really enjoy anything on this album beyond 'Running Up That Hill'.

#79 - Prince - Sign ‘O’ The Times

2a11224b9da062c77248b010.L.jpg

What a fucking awesome record. One of the few double albums that's actually entertaining all the way through. It's also what silence looks like.

I used to think I knew a fair bit of artists who tendeed to drag songs on to the point where you thought they were never going to end, but Prince blows them out of the water. I mean seriously most of theese tunes feel like its time for the end after a minute and a half, but go on for another four. Apperantly in Prince's mind, you can make a song entertaining for 5 minutes or so by repeating one catchy little hook 18 trillion times until it starts to piss you off (case in point, "hot thang") and occasionally throwing in some corny as hell 80's sound effects and vocal treatments (What the fuck was he thinking with the World Series of love monolouge on "U Got The Look!?)

"Starfish an Choclate" and "The Cross" are the only two songs on this shitfest I could ever see myself listening to ever again. The others either start off ok but get old FAST or just plain suck ass. What is so genius about this? All I hear is why people think the 80's sucked so much.

This album marked the beginning of the end of Prince's days as maker of high-quality music. The narcissistic dwarf went on to make only crap afterwards, and then rounded off his career with a fitting joining of the Jehovah's sect.

The difficulties I have with this album are far too many to enumerate, but let me have a go. (1) It is needlessly sex obsessed (2) it sounds dated (3) the lyrics are by and large trite, only occasionally rising to something like the standard Prince can achieve (4) why don't people use drummers instead of damned machines (5) Prince's voice is at its most irritating on several of the tracks; he has used too much vocal production (6) the album is far too long (7) the majority of the tracks have no commitment to them by the artist (8) Prince seems to be living on his reputation rather than trying to build on it (9) I find the use of the O’ instead of the full word a pretentious affectation. I could go on, but I won't.

#78 - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

4b294310fca065e9e8d46010.L.jpg

The original cover was better.

Now this dude is TOTALLY professional:

Ya know, its been nice knowing you folks at RYM. And its been an absolute blast, wasting my time whenever I'm bored on the comp. But I fear that I may not be around much longer. Why? Well you see, I'm not ONLY going to give "Electric Ladyland" one of the most acclaimed albums ever, a mere two stars and call it a piece of self indulgent shit, I'm ALSO going to rant on and on for six hundred or so words why. So before some Hendrix fanatics call to my house, stick a pinecone up my ass (I've used that one before I know) cut me up, and feed be to a bunch of starved pigs, I just wanna say.....

I love you guys.

Too be honest, this album DOES look good on paper. Jimi Hendrix! He’s cool! I dig his afro! What’s even cooler is that he’s like the best guitarist EVER! And omfg, he’s made a double ALBUM! AND THERES NAKED LADIES ON THE COVER!!!!! (not my copy unfortunately, and yes I am a horny guy)

See, the problem is, at this point in time, Jimi has become a self indulgent prick. And when you’re a self indulgent prick, you believe your shit smells like strawberry ice cream. And when your a self indulgent prick, you stick TWO meandering and fucking stupid fifteen jam things onto a double album, one of which I HATE with a passion, and the other I fucking love (for about five minutes) before Jimi fucks EVERYTHING up with this SEVEN MINUTE noisefest. The rest of the album? Dated 60's psychedelic with Jimi wanking off on his guitar.
You thought Dream Theater wanked around on their instruments? Oh boy, they’ve nothing on Voodoo Child. A fucking shitfest if there ever was one, it just drags and drags. Dont get me wrong, I like guitar solos. When they go places. Or when they’re played passionately. "Voodoo Child" is a guitar genius saying to himself, "I am the fucking BOMB" and wanking off for fifteen minutes. God I HATE this song. And the bit where the guitar disappears and you’re just left with the keyboards is one of the worst things that Jimi EVER did, let alone this album…. Bllleeeeccccccch..…

Side Two is packed to bursting point with shitty generic soul/psychedelic songs that our pal Hendrix could pull out of his ass a couple of years before. And the wanking! The wanking! "Come On" is a fantastic rocker, sleazy and groovy until its fucking RUINED by Hendrix wanking off for about two minutes on his guitar. "Rainy Day,Dream Away" has more jamming, proving the point that this album is more of Hendrix jamming around in the studio rather than writing songs you know songs with no WANKING. If only Jimi could combine his incredible guitar skill with good songwriting. Wait! HE DID that on his debut, didn’t he?

Eleven songs until I find something here I enjoy. ELEVEN FUCKING songs, bar "Crosstown Traffic" which is a heap load of fun innit? I just love Jimi’s sort of half rap, and the ridiculously entertaining falsetto vocals that come at the chorus, classic Hendrix. 1983(A Merman I Should Turn To Be) is the other long jam thing,but its actually really good! The first five minutes are PERFECT, Jimi lets loose with a fantastic and beautiful bass solo and the vocals! Jimis vocals echo and vibrate to and fro each headphone and the bit where Hendrix sings" And they said its also impossible for a man to live and breathe underwater", rules cause this fucking pretentious but ORGASMIC little military drum beat kicks in. NEVER fails to move me. Until Hendrix pulls the plug on the whole thing and turns potentially the best song of his career, into a fucking noisefest. Whoop de doo.

Side four is BY FAR my favourite part of the album and the reason the fucking thing gets two stars. Firstly, it closes off with VOODOO CHILD (SLIGHT RETURN) ONE OF THE COOLEST SONGS EVER. The amount of sheer balls to the wall rocking power in that one song is unfathomable. "All Along The Watchtower" is the famous Dylan cover and it deserves every bit of praise it gets, Jimi letting loose with a non noodling, non wankfest solo that just KICKS. Why in gods name am I working backwords? Maybe I'm going crazy with what’s going to happen to me (I don’t LIKE pinecones)"House Burning Down" is a cool song as well. Not GREAT mind you, a tad overrated, but its the only song that I can call "just a cool song" if that makes sense.

Jimis cool though. He’s cooler than The Eagles. And he’s funny. My friend thought he was Chinese. He’s in rehab now (well he SHOULD be, he’s always going on about how Blink 182 are the funniest band EVER) ...

Twenty or so minutes of this album are Grade A classic rock.
The rest?

/O\

In case you didn’t know, that’s an arsehole.

And yes,I used the word "wanker" in its many different shapes and forms many many times during this "review" .

And yes, I'm slightly drunk.

#77 - Sigur Ros - Takk...

5438a2c008a03ec69eacb010.L.jpg

I prefer Agaetis Byrjun, but what the hell. BOTH are good.

I used to like this until I found better music.

What a frightful din!

Some goblin, gnome or whatever they have in Iceland, was listening to Brian Eno's Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks while his child was hitting the toy xylophone and his misses came into the room singing like that Nordestran person. He then wondered if he mixed these sounds with some imitation strings and the banging noise one hears when a boat's keel bangs against the jetty - it might actually sound credible.
"Se Lest" my cat waling sounds more attractive - neither can I understand
"Andvari" sounds like The Blue Nile.

Given my tastes in music I ought to like this, but I don't.

Thank you Nige for letting me hear Takk without having wasted groschen.

BORING
Highlights: BORED

Only one of mine has made it :tsk: this list sucks :wink:

Hey elmel, please tell me one of Axver's AMAZING RYM reviews is going to make an appeareance.

#76 - Pixies - Surfer Rosa

efa29833e7a05b9760191110.L.jpg

The more pissed-off, drug-crazed older brother of Doolittle. Still very fun.

Surfer Rosa is what it would sound like if Mike Tyson, Helen Keller, Pauly Shore, and a random homeless guy picked up instruments for the first time and decided to record an album. Was there a single actual musician in this band? I have never in my life heard a band that was so utterly, apocalyptically devoid of actual talent.

It doesn't matter how influential this band was or how popular they were (or are) in college frat houses. Stupid music is stupid music, period, and The Pixies' attempts at writing 'music that's so bad that it's actually kind of good' failed miserably. Unless of course you think lyrics like "This song is about a superhero named Tony!" are the stuff of brilliance.

Silliness is not an art form. This band was a crime against rock.

Only one of mine has made it :tsk: this list sucks :wink:

Hey elmel, please tell me one of Axver's AMAZING RYM reviews is going to make an appeareance.

Oh, totally. I don't think he cares enough to do a Prince review, so I haven't really seen his name pop up yet. Soon though.

Oh, totally. I don't think he cares enough to do a Prince review, so I haven't really seen his name pop up yet. Soon though.

I love listening to a new album, then going to see if Axver's reviewed it or not. It brings joy to my day :cornflakes:

Surfer Rosa is what it would sound like if Mike Tyson, Helen Keller, Pauly Shore, and a random homeless guy picked up instruments for the first time and decided to record an album. Was there a single actual musician in this band? I have never in my life heard a band that was so utterly, apocalyptically devoid of actual talent.

It doesn't matter how influential this band was or how popular they were (or are) in college frat houses. Stupid music is stupid music, period, and The Pixies' attempts at writing 'music that's so bad that it's actually kind of good' failed miserably. Unless of course you think lyrics like "This song is about a superhero named Tony!" are the stuff of brilliance.

Silliness is not an art form. This band was a crime against rock.

:love:
And that is EXACTLY why I love the Pixies. That review is so true, except for the last two lines. And for the record: "This song is about a superhero named Tony!" is fucking brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom