Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
picture-10.jpg

Hey there, it's your old pal John Stamos! Or, Uncle Jesse, for you aging housewives with nothing to do all day but sit around and watch ABC Family. I was the best celebrity my good pal LemonMelon could find out on the street on a last-second notice, and I will do my best to do add pizazz (do people still say that?) and charm to an otherwise boring list that nobody cares about. So many marquee celebrities have done countdowns such as these, so I have a lot to live up to.

Today is a very special day on...uh...inter-(what the fuck does this say?)...something...dot com, as we're about to announce what 36 of the nearly 50,000 of you think are are the 100 greatest albums of all time. Now, I have a bit of experience in the area of music. Heh. I even had multiple hits with my band Jesse And The Rippers, like "Forever" and...uh...anyway...just remember, I don't NEED to do this, I'm as famous as ever. Anyone who gets the honor of doing a voiceover in Farce Of The Penguins and gets name-dropped in The Benchwarmers doesn't NEED to do anything ever again...but that damn kid just HAD to go near my cardboard box. Fucking out-of-court settlements.

Anyway, we'll be back after a short break with your #100.

You started this thread RIGHT as my class is getting out and I have to go take an exam.

Damn you, Mr. Mel.

Hey fuck you, ad! I don't need no telephone add-on that tells me my secret crush, even if it does come with a free Pink ringtone! I got all that already!

#100 - Led Zeppelin - I
1c6b820dd7a09a0f6d00e010.L.jpg

Hailed world-over as one of the first and greatest examples of hard rock and blues becoming its own genre of sorts, I hasn't aged a second. Even Rolling Stone loves it....now. Here's what leading musicologists have to say:

This album and band make me laugh, just about everything on it is plagiarized. I don't trust listening to Zeppelin anymore, just about every riff and melody and lyric was stolen. I'll admit they do make plagiarism sound half decent. Not.

Audio excrement, May 31, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Led Zeppelin I (Limited Edition) (Audio CD)
You Americans have made yourselves the laughing stock of the world by describing everything as "awesome", "cool", and "gnarly". And ,oh yes , I think that Led Zeppelin are the most overarted band of all time , even more than u2 and Pink Floyd.

Man, when all the frat boys in the US started listening to Zep instead of The Lettermen and The Dave Clark Five it must have been one weird week.

Hailed world-over as one of the first and greatest examples of hard rock and blues becoming its own genre of sorts, I hasn't aged a second. Even Rolling Stone loves it....now. Here's what leading musicologists have to say:

<cut hilarious quotes>

:lmao: Nice.

I don't think I even care about the list now. I just want to read excerpts from reviews by leading critics!

Leading musicologists :wink: I think that's what got me...cause it's kind of what I'm going to school for, and those quotes are so not representative of the stuffy people that can be musicologists. :lol:

#99 - Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

0438225b9da0b6ebdbbcb010.L.jpg

Melding a billion samples with bizarre rhymes and some actual beats of their own, making this album would get anyone imprisoned in the year 2008. However, it still kicks ass and you should stick it to the man. Here's what professional critics have to say:

6 of 52 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars OUTRAGE!, January 4, 2000
By Norman Noodleman, Esq (Djibuti, Djibuti) - See all my reviews
I am personally outraged by the flagrant use of silly words and funky rhythyms in this song. What are we teaching the youth of America? If you must buy this CD, please do not expose it to any young people. It is VERY naughty. - Norman

1) I'll admit that the production and beats are really high-quality here. Higher-quality than anything else I've heard by the Beastie Boys. Though the Public Enemy/KRS samples should give you some insight into where their inspirations come from, to put it politely.

2) Their voices annoy the piss out of me. I have trouble listening to this crap. It sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks doing a Run-DMC impression. The only song where I can hear past their annoying annoying screeches is "Three Minute Rule" which I'll admit is pretty awesome.

3) I was actually discussing this with my sister last Christmas: Every Beastie Boys fan either of us has met has said something like this: "I hate hip-hop... ok except Beastie Boys". Coincidently (?) this is the only hip-hop album RYM has ever recommended me. Frankly I get a weird Amos and Andy vibe and I don't want to touch it with a ten-foot pole. Sorry guys.

Really Not Feelin' This One.

#98 - Neil Young - After The Gold Rush

09e9228348a01e0b69bae010.L.jpg

Classic album. I have no words. But these people do:

Bland country and folk with abysmal, forced singing. The subject seems to be also love and relationships gone wrong. The song titles are enough to make me cringed. There is nothing interesting about this album.

Still, people seem to love it. So, if you like country and folk accompanied by pretty singing you might like this.

wow, i consider myself a fan of neil (maybe not a FANATIC, but), but man, this is totally overrated. i'll take the title track and "southern man", and you can keep the rest....

Somebody gave me this album. Whatever. Neil Young isn't so bad, except when he sings[...]

#97 - U2 - War

57a89330dca02df8941c5010.L.jpg

U2, back when they cared about things, even when it was really none of their business, and it was embarrassing to hear them talk about it. Come to think of it, nothing much has changed. Still a good album though.

Those two hits are great songs. Remember that the rest is just pretentious were the greatest band in the world crap.
Ever see the South Park on Bono's record of biggest crap?

Marks the infamous turning point where U2 went from unspeakably terrible to something even worse. These ponces ought to be disgraced for claiming to be influenced by Joe Strummer.

What an awful album, sounds dated as hell with a horrible drum sound and Bono's pretentious wankery in full flow. I find it impossible to sit through this album in its entirity, it's worn my patience through by the 4th track. Hard to believe this band has such a big following, just shows you the majority of the world's population has no taste.

#95 - Nick Drake - Pink Moon

85e7a2c008a08530628b9010.L.jpg

Gorgeous music. One of the most beautiful, haunting albums of its time. Still, it's 28 minutes long and costs $19 on Amazon. WTF?

A dull very boring "cry" athon, plenty of disjointed ordinary chords. No value for money as far as I'm concerned with only 30 minutes of so called "music". People that listen to drake usually think they have a far "superior" music taste... It's all just a wank. Boo.

Sorry I just really don't get this, it's just so dull. I actually feel physically sick listening to it, the guys voice gives me a headache. Dylan is the only folk artist who ever mattered and that was because he realised how lame the genre was and that it needed a shot in the arm to make it worthwhile. For this guy to make a record post Dylan is unnacceptable and makes me hate it even more. I'll give it another listen but I doubt my opinion will change...no I tried but as soon as I hear that voice I could literally blow my brains out. I agree with aflickerings review.

6 of 49 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars a bore..., August 23, 2001
By couchgrouch "couchgrouch" (cochise, az United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
this record is all myth, no songs. after having heard about it being "haunting" for so many years, I finally picked it up. I played it over and over again looking for what others see in this album. here's what I heard: the kind of "poetry" that high school juniors write after reading about Sylvia Plath in English. this is mumbled while strumming the simplest guitar possible. the fact that the guy offed himself figures in much of the music's praise. to me, that's irrelevant. there's just no strong songs here. it's been a week since I've heard it and I can't remember a thing about it. this is after dozens of listens. it's utterly forgettable.

#94 - Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

41K357JJ3SL._SS400_.jpg

Some seriously disturbing shit. Great guitars though.

1 of 24 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Try Oasis instead, August 23, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Holy Bible (Audio CD)
This album is not much of an album at all. It's scattered lyrics are so incoherent that they are a perfect compliment to the horrible instrumentation. This album is barely listenable, and it is far too dark for anyone who wishes to stay sane to listen to repeatedly.

Is this the magnum opus of lyricists Wire and James? Their greatest meditations on depression, self-loathing, culture and politics? But it's all name-dropping, sloppy slogans and cheap morbid imagery! The music is the crowning turd in the water-pipe. It's so utterly flat and boring you'll hardly notice it at all.

Oh man, what an embarrassing record..they try so hard it's laughable. I think I have never heard a Band that is more pretenious than them.

#93 - Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life

28e1b2c008a0d1672b8d8010.L.jpg

There are about a thousand good songs on this.

An abortion.

Imagine listening to a blind man sitting there talking to himself. Now imagine the same blind man having the same conversation with himself every day. Now imagine the same blind man with the same conversation with himself every day, except in the background on the radio there's some soft elevator music playing. Now imagine recording that and putting it on a double album. That's what listening to Songs in the Key of Life is to me. Only 3 or 4 tracks escape the tedious trend that is Stevie's songwriting, and it's hard to enjoy those in the sea of snore-inducing music that is the rest of the album.

[...]listening to this album I soon get very bored[...]

#92 - Pink Floyd - Meddle

2184224128a060c4b3dd7010.L.jpg

I love pretty much every second of this record. Even the dog barking is kickass.

Once again, Pink Floyd manage to get away with this drivel of delivering five original songs and calling it an "album". Just making one of the songs 23 minutes long doesn't give you any excuse.

Just like Animals and Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd have over-indulged themselves in their droning ambient epics, while frustratingly showing glimpses of absolutely stunning talent.

Unfortunately, this album just bores the shit out of me.

You know what? I said I would never rate an album I hadn't heard but fuck it: This popped up on my recommendation list. I hate Pink Floyd. I have been disappointed again and again and again and I want to punch them in the throat.

Einstein said something about not doing something again and Einstein is right: I will never listen to another Pink Floyd record again.

0 of 10 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars music for retards and paedophiles, October 7, 2008

#91 - Crowded House - Together Alone

ecc6a2c008a09387c0988010.L.jpg

Too bad Axver isn't here. He'd go nuts.

Proof that people will buy any old shit!!

This one is not for me i'm afraid. the spark appears to have deserted Crowded House at this point. The songs are dull and lifeless in the main and the sharp tunes are missing. One to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom