Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #106
The Male

Local Time: 09:48 PM
#71 - U2 - Zooropa

My favorite U2 album. Unbridled creativity and fantastic tunes.

Quote:
i heard the cosby kids made the album cover
Quote:
This sucks aside from Stay.
Quote:
Owning U2 albums is neccessity in my profession but doens't mean I actually like them. I'm so sick of this band that I'm not sure that they could have released an album that would have appealed to me at this time. Zooropa is one of those bizzare pieces of shite that bands supposedly as great as them should never release. When the very best track on the entire long player is sung by your guitarist in a monotone voice you should see the signs. I actually like "Numb" and I think its one of the bands best tracks.

But nothing else here is memorable, fun, catchy, exciting or intriguing. So of all the U2 albums available this is one you can miss.
Quote:
Tracks too wacky for Achtung Baby. Oh joy. You know, there's a reason that cutting room has a floor ...

Now.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #107
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Holy Crap! Experienced made only #73??? I expected Top 20 at least if not Top 10!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #108
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

I think I just hurt myself holding in the laughter...

awesome album
Old 11-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
You didn't even include it, did you?
Old 11-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
#87 - The Strokes - Is This It

The Velvet Underground reincarnated or just a shitty garage band? Neither. Listen and make up your own mind.
Fixed the cover.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #112
The Male

#70 - R.E.M. - Out Of Time

Ha. One of my least favorite R.E.M. albums, to be honest. It has its moments, and Shiny Happy People isn't as bad as so many say, but this isn't their finest hour. Maybe three classic tunes here.

Quote:
I hate "Losing My Religion". Most of REM's tunes are sentimental to a certain degree, but this weepfest is downright whiny. And they should have been taken behind the barn and beaten for "Shiny Happy People". "Radio Song" is decent, but doesn't make up for the teeth-grinding badness of these two, and the other songs are mediocre at best. I was 14 when this album was released, and I had had no previous exposure to REM. This CD made me despise them as self-pitying blowhards for years. I have since come around, but the scars linger.
Quote:
Never has a band taken so long to achieve superstardom, never has a band become irrelevant so quickly. This was their eagerly awaited breakthrough album but it came at too high a price. Desperate, it seems, to do the unexpected for their first Warner Bros release the group diluted the distinctive sound of Life's Rich Pageant, Document and Green, anxious not to be seen to cash in on a winning formula. The result is an album whose first side is unlistenable, its second requiring use of the programme button to select `Half a World Away' (just), `Country Feedback' and `Me in Honey'. Oh, and for a band whose covers were always pretty ropey (think Fables of the Reconstruction), Out of Time plumbs new depths of banality.
Quote:
The melody of “Losing my religion” sounds like it was written expressly for 8-year-olds to learn on the recorder when their ability only extends to the first four notes. Either that or Michael had a fit of creativity when the only instrument to hand was one of those crappy Fisher Price pianos. Confinement within half a scale is what makes this off-limits for buskers with any self-respect, and where Stipe really shows his singing chops. Pretty terrible album, though.

Now.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:48 AM
I fucking love Out Of Time almost as much as Automatic! I think they were both inside my Top 20.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, classic quotes for some of these.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
You didn't even include it, did you?
I'll do you one better Zoots, I didn't even like it .

Ok that's not entirely true. Half of it is VERY VERY good.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #116
The Male

#69 - Television - Marquee Moon

Punk rock with brains and musical talent.

Quote:
This album (along with The Clash) is on every rock critic's "best albums of all time" list, but Television and the Clash are both on my "1001 Things You Must AVOID Before You Die" list (unfortunately, too late for me, my money, and my brain cells, but at least I can warn you not to make the same mistake).

I really don't know what all the critical acclaim is for. I guess you had to be there at the time or something.
To "new" ears (i.e. someone with no personal-history-related nostalgia) this sounds unimaginative, murky and boring.

I wrote a negative review about this before, but Amazon apparently thought it "offensive" and didn't publish it.
Perhaps what their censorious employee was truly offended by was somebody's ability to think for themselves and not cave in to the critics' "dictatorship of taste". Punk WAS about rebellion not conformity, right?

I say: Save your brain cells (and money) for better things.
You want classic punk? Try Blondie, Ramones, Iggy Pop, Stranglers, Damned and Sex Pistols. They deserve to be remembered.
Television and The Clash deserve a big bonfire.
^ I Blondie being mentioned above.

Quote:
IVE always been convinced THAT TELEVISION were REALLY no better than a HIGH SCHOOL SEVENTY PSYCEDELIC, third rate amateaur bar band like AWFULL.
Quote:
Terriblely overated "Critic Rock". I bought this when it first came out based on the hype and I was extremely disappointed. I can't believe the high rating on this site. This album wasn't even certified "Tin".
Quote:
The most overrated album of [respected musical website] it makes Tom Waits sound like a genius.

Now.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Fuck, I forgot about Marquee Moon.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #118
Blue Crack Distributor

IVE always been convinced THAT TELEVISION were REALLY no better than a HIGH SCHOOL SEVENTY PSYCEDELIC, third rate amateaur bar band like AWFULL.

Too much good.

I'm off to get some lunch. I expect to eventually see another of my albums make this list
Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #119
The Male

#68 - Elvis Costello - This Year's Model

Those first two albums were unbelievable.

Quote:
After all these years, I've finally listened to Elvis Costello for the first time.
Now, thanks to listening to this album, I think I have contracted AIDS.
Quote:
Most of the songs are near the three-minute mark, and yet I found myself reaching for the "skip" button at each and every one of them. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for pop music, y'know. Really. But this is Costello throwing a geek pride parade, the kind of thing I wouldn't want to go near to, not even to throw paperballs at him.
Quote:
I didn't like this album. It could sound new (new wave?), but I think it is a bit as the borning of Lenny Kravitz. Except for two or three moments the rest is kinda a pitty.

Now.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #120
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Fuck, I forgot about Marquee Moon.
How is it possible when it's always slapping the music world in the face with its apparent greatness?