Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread - Page 64 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #946
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
It just doesn't get better. My #2 at number 5
Born to Run was my #2, too.

It could have easily been #1 even. This album makes me feel good about living and being alive.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #947
The Male

Local Time: 09:14 PM
#4 - The Beatles - Abbey Road

Should have been #1. I'm absolutely serious about that.

Quote:
This is the #1 rated album on this entire site? Give me a break. The Beatles are undoubtedly the most overrated musicians that have ever existed. All or almost all of these songs are insipid, boring, vocal-driven, and far too repetitive. I have never, at any time of day, or at any point in my life, no matter how I was feeling, been able to get into these songs, and many of them are somewhat annoying. The instruments are also far too simplistically played.

I never understood how people could revere an album this much when the vocals and lyrics are the driving force behind the music. Even if one likes this type of music, how can one not think that most of these songs are just filler? Even "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", what some say is the best song on the album, puts me to sleep after a minute.

There are so many artists and albums in the world (of any genre) more deserving of the sheer amount of reverence that this album has accumulated. Other circumstances aside, this album would probably warrant 1.0 or 1.5 stars from me. I give it 0.5 stars because it is the most overrated album I have ever heard.

That said, I now await hilarious, creatively written hate mail (which is hopefully more creative than this album).
Quote:
it's not bright eyes
Quote:
The Beatles is the most overrated band in the world and 'Abbey Road' is the most overrated of their albums.
Yes, I hate rock'n'roll as it's monotonic and predictable. It suits fine for musicians who lacks creativity.
'Abbey Rode' lacks originality in any aspect. Bass is great example of that. Every sound is predictable, every part can be played by newbie. None of instrumental parts could be call virtuosic or even tough to play.
They tried to be artists with 'I Want You' noise, but it only shows how far they are from Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin.

While 'Revolver' is nothing but easy listening, simple but good in its genre, this album is a piece of crap.
Quote:
Abbey Road? More like Abbeystupid Road

I heard the Beatles album "Rubber Soul", the one with their one hit "Norwegian Wood". That song was good and the other filler songs were...eh...(flipping my hand around like to say "ehhhh", you know?)...I always saw these guys as a one hit wonder. But someone said, "You gotta hear 'Abbey Road' by them." And, I was like. Okay. Apparently this band was an influence for great bands like Herman's Hermits and New Order and stuff, so, I thought, okay...if I can find it, i'"ll chekc it out. I found it. Checked it out. Uh...Ever heard of a word called "Porduction", lads? They...I don't know when one song ends and the other stops. They have different lead singers for every song. The songs have no thru line or melody to speak of. I see here that some people gave this thing 5 stars. Hello! What? There's a reason you never hear of these guys any more. They're probably all living in a shack trying to live on their little checks for "Norwegian" Wood.
Quote:
I cannot believe that this album is even on par with any of the great Rolling Stones albums. I mean the song "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" could have been written by a child. The Beatles survive on silly little love songs, not good blues-based rock and roll. They were not a "true" band because they rarely played live. It is sad that albums like "Abbey Road" are considered great. The Beatles were simply products of a studio. Listen to Lennon play with Yoko at Madison Square Garden- they sound like a band I knew in high school- "Nobody Goes to Sweden"! Listen to the Stones. The song "Indian Girl" is better then "A Day in the Life". I am glad the Stones are not sell outs like the Beatles. This album stinks.

Now.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #948
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Born to Run was my #2, too.

It could have easily been #1 even. This album makes me feel good about living and being alive.
It was a lot further down for a while there, but that was because I hadn't given it a good liste in a while. As soon as I did it shot right back up to #2
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #949
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 12:14 AM
I really dislike the album but I'm surprised it is only #4.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #950
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
If TUF was my #1, and BTR was my #2, does that technically mean that BTR is EXACTLY half the album that TUF is?
Your list is exponential?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #951
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
It is a big honking cliche, sacred cow though.
That's probably my biggest issue with it. You hear how mind blowing and amazing it is for so long, that every time I listen to it I just think, "this is it?!" It's definitely a good album, but not a fav.

I probably would have had The Wall in my top 100, believe it or not.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #952
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
it's not bright eyes
You created an alter on RYM didn't you
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #953
Refugee

Local Time: 03:14 PM
3. OK Computer
2. Achtung Baby
1. Joshua True
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #954
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
I kind of have just an uncomplicated hate thing.
haha
Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #955
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:14 PM
Damn, I haven't slagged off Abbey Road on RYM yet.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #956
Blue Crack Distributor

Abbey Road, if anything, is underrated. The thing even made MY list
Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #957
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Your list is exponential?
At least when it comes between the distance TUF is above the rest of the list?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #958
The Male

#3 - Radiohead - OK Computer

My #2 at #3. Nice.

Quote:
boring album for boring people
Quote:
This album blows, plain and simple. For a real listening experience, and a singer you can actually understand, listen to Achtung Baby by U2.
^ Rob33.

Quote:
Frankly, I didn't understand what all the hype was about. I picked up this album about the time it came out, a friend of mine recommended it to me. I've never listened to Radiohead before, but i am a fan of Pink Floyd and the Beatles, and i have no idea how someone could comment that Radiohead has the same style. Even with Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's sound was never so...slow. Even on their most mellow CD's (the wall for example) you still have tracks which speed things up, tracks like "another brick in the wall" or "run like hell" pick up the pace. EVERYTHING on OKC is slow and mellow. By having that slow a tempo, OKC just goes on and on... i think this would be okay if they interesting lyrics.

Actually, i think this album would be alot better if i could understand what Yorke was singing. It sounds like he mumbled the entire album in his sleep. Even the lyrics booklet was unreadable. When I first listened to it i thought, "no problem I'll just read the lyrics instead of listening to them" but when I opened the book, the lyrics were almost as incomprehensible as yorke's voice. Half of the lyrics look like they came out of an E. E. cummings poem! I didn't even know it was a concept album until i read the reviews.

Although some of the guitar work is interesting, and the sound effects are cool. Lyrical incomprehension(I don't mean understanding the words, I'm talking about trying to figure out what they said) brings this album way down. And its slow pace does little except to make Yorke's voice even more annoying. I don't even know how other people managed to understand the lyrics, perhaps they found them on the internet(which, according to you reviewers who think this is a lyrical work of art, is exaclty what the album was criticizing).
Quote:
What's wrong with this disc? The sci-fi/alien overproduction and the awful sobbing vocals from that hybrid between a human and a retard orc called Thom Yorke. Fake plastic music.
Quote:
he cant sing and writes pathetic lyrics

Now.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #959
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:14 AM
If Joshua Tree is number 2...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #960
Blue Meth Addict

hallelujah for computerz