Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #691
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Animals? Finally, we return to good albums.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #692
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:25 PM
For those keeping score, Coldplay is now the Presumed Hot But Really Plain Chick finally getting her due while Radiohead is the Hot Girl Who Just Took Off Her Glasses, Let Her Hair Down, and Is Sexing Us Greatly.

Great success!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #693
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post

Coupled with Animals makes me happy.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #694
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 08:25 PM
Only 17?!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #695
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:25 PM
A gal I know at work who is also part of our musicians' group wants to work on a whole slew of songs with a handful of other chick singers at work. One of them is "Great Gig In the Sky."

My reaction to hearing this was pretty much: UGH.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #696
The Male

#16 - The Clash - London Calling

Zoots, where is your George Michael now???

Quote:
London Calling is a shit.

My hate on The Clash is something I cannot even explain, It's something actually very illogical, it's like that bitch that you see at the school, always showing off shit that she might not even have, yeah, this might not be a good example, but you know, there are things that one's always afraid of, something irrational, like those dudes that are scared of spiders, even those little ones, or people who are afraid of mustaches or wigs, google it if you do not believe me.
Yeah, this is what happens to me with The clash, just replace fear with hate. Hate is not a word I'd like to use, but It's the closest thing to what I feel about this record or any record in general, every little second of this is such a bloody mess, they tried too hard to make this some sort of super guide of 100,000 genres that they failed hard. It's not good pop, It's not good punk, It's not good reggae, It's not good ska, It's not good in general. There are the things that London Calling is: boring, overlong and too bland.

Listening to 'wrong 'em boyo' gotta be of one the worst experiences I've had.

I think I'll stop here.
Quote:
Not to waste too much proverbial ink on an album that doesn’t warrant another review, but I need to vent. This album is boring to the power of 10; it genre hops, but that’s about it. Reggae, punk, dub, ska and rock are all touched upon in the most eye-wateringly bland way possible, ripping apart what makes each genre so great. The lack of imagination from TV crews soundtracking shows set in London has completely destroyed my chance of enjoying the title cut, but only about 3 of the other 18 make up for lost ground (I dig "Spanish Bombs" and "The Guns of Brixton", plus some other that I can't recall right now). Yeah, it’s true, I wasn’t around when this was released. I may be completely missing the genius of this record due to my age, but a true classic should rise high above context and sink its claws deep into anyone who listens, regardless of personal history. This just drifts by, and always makes me wonder why I’m not listening to Dead Kennedys or Crass instead.
Quote:
its bold, its hip, its in your face, its punk, its wild, its rock, its junk, its crap!

The punk rock era was one of the worst forms of music, it started with the Velvets and ended in the late 70s with this album!
Quote:
I'm really sorry about this, but London Calling was and is a complete mystery to me.
In January 1980 I was listening to more new music than at any point in my life and I'd give anything a listen. I found London Calling boring, it just sounded like yesterdays music.
Twenty years later and London Calling is hailed as a masterwork etc in many publications. I've tried several times to get into this Lp, but to date fail to see what all the fuss is or was about. There are plenty of late seventies/ early eighties releases that out shine this - everyone forgets the fantastic first Pretenders LP which was so exciting and "new" sounding.
If you must listen to London Calling do yourself a favour and ignore all the "Best albums" list bollocks and judge it on it's (un)musical merit.

Now.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #697
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:25 AM
I once heard someone sing along to Great Gig in the Sky when it came on in a restaurant over a jukebox
Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #698
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
For those keeping score, Coldplay is now the Presumed Hot But Really Plain Chick finally getting her due while Radiohead is the Hot Girl Who Just Took Off Her Glasses, Let Her Hair Down, and Is Sexing Us Greatly.

Great success!
Yes, indeed.

To those of you who spent over a year convincing me Radiohead was worth it ... thank you. Thank you very much.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #699
Blue Crack Distributor

I can take or leave The Clash.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #700
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
I once heard someone sing along to Great Gig in the Sky when it came on in a restaurant over a jukebox
Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #701
Blue Crack Addict

London Calling does not deserve to be in the top 75 let alone top 20; it's half filler...
Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #702
Blue Crack Supplier

Number four on my list, London Calling. Fantastic.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #703
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Yes, indeed.

To those of you who spent over a year convincing me Radiohead was worth it ... thank you. Thank you very much.

I just don't see why a band should take THAT MUCH effort to get into. I'm not quitting mind you, I just don't really like that aspect of them.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #704
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I was so not the person who put it on

Dani thought I was insane
Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #705
Blue Meth Addict

16? I'm leaving Inference for ever.

Of course if I'd had done my list, the #1 place it would have received would have pushed it up some. Maybe I'll begrudgingly stay.