Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, some of those comments could have been made by me for Dark Side. I have a love/hate thing with it. I've been on both sides of the fence, and not even sure what side I sit on now. I guess I think it's good, but not remotely the "masterpiece work of mindblowing art" Pink Floyd fans think is.

#5 - Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

019c53a09da0acfe54346110.L.jpg

Great album. And I'm sort of cheering for it, considering #5 all time is borderline absurd.

I certainly know what it's like to be born to run. I was born to run away from primitive blue-collar rock such as this. Bruce is strictly peasant material. His face shows it, his music shows it, and his fans show it.

Maybe one of the worst albums i have ever heard. Maybe the lyrics are good but i couldn't even listen' to them. Why does he have to raise his voice everytime.
It was like when I'm listening to R&B, why do they always have to make they're lyrics so dramatic?

The album goes downhill midway through "Thunder Road" and never recovers. The most saturated-sounding rock record I have ever heard, bombast or not. I did like "Meeting Across the River," though.

Overrated shit!
The album was saved due to the popularity of the single Born To Run but is there anything else on the album other than a Bob Dylan wannabee bastard who is wining and trying too damn hard!
A credit must be given for 2 songs other than the overplayed single, Jungleland was pretty decent until the 4th listen when it then becomes too long and the song Thunder Road!
If you are new to bruce, get the Greatest Hits package, you don't need anything else!

American trash, strong anglophile orientation. I'll stick with Bob Dylan, thanks. Gets two starts because, whoever produced this album, did a good work. Sadly, it's like Schumacher driving a Beetle. But americans also won't have a clue of what I'm talking about, since they don't know who Schumacher is, (and probably don't know what is a Beetle either).

Haha, some of those comments could have been made by me for Dark Side. I have a love/hate thing with it. I've been on both sides of the fence, and not even sure what side I sit on now. I guess I think it's good, but not remotely the "masterpiece work of mindblowing art" Pink Floyd fans think is.

Yeah, I have a love/hate thing with all of Pink Floyd's stuff really. And especially DSOTM. But right now they're on my good side. I think I even slipped DSOTM into my Top 50.

It is a big honking cliche, sacred cow though.

Oh come on, there is no way Born To Run is even half the album UF is.

#4 - The Beatles - Abbey Road

f167224b9da0f89d4116c010.L.jpg

Should have been #1. I'm absolutely serious about that.

This is the #1 rated album on this entire site? Give me a break. The Beatles are undoubtedly the most overrated musicians that have ever existed. All or almost all of these songs are insipid, boring, vocal-driven, and far too repetitive. I have never, at any time of day, or at any point in my life, no matter how I was feeling, been able to get into these songs, and many of them are somewhat annoying. The instruments are also far too simplistically played.

I never understood how people could revere an album this much when the vocals and lyrics are the driving force behind the music. Even if one likes this type of music, how can one not think that most of these songs are just filler? Even "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", what some say is the best song on the album, puts me to sleep after a minute.

There are so many artists and albums in the world (of any genre) more deserving of the sheer amount of reverence that this album has accumulated. Other circumstances aside, this album would probably warrant 1.0 or 1.5 stars from me. I give it 0.5 stars because it is the most overrated album I have ever heard.

That said, I now await hilarious, creatively written hate mail (which is hopefully more creative than this album).

it's not bright eyes

The Beatles is the most overrated band in the world and 'Abbey Road' is the most overrated of their albums.
Yes, I hate rock'n'roll as it's monotonic and predictable. It suits fine for musicians who lacks creativity.
'Abbey Rode' lacks originality in any aspect. Bass is great example of that. Every sound is predictable, every part can be played by newbie. None of instrumental parts could be call virtuosic or even tough to play.
They tried to be artists with 'I Want You' noise, but it only shows how far they are from Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin.

While 'Revolver' is nothing but easy listening, simple but good in its genre, this album is a piece of crap.

Abbey Road? More like Abbeystupid Road

I heard the Beatles album "Rubber Soul", the one with their one hit "Norwegian Wood". That song was good and the other filler songs were...eh...(flipping my hand around like to say "ehhhh", you know?)...I always saw these guys as a one hit wonder. But someone said, "You gotta hear 'Abbey Road' by them." And, I was like. Okay. Apparently this band was an influence for great bands like Herman's Hermits and New Order and stuff, so, I thought, okay...if I can find it, i'"ll chekc it out. I found it. Checked it out. Uh...Ever heard of a word called "Porduction", lads? They...I don't know when one song ends and the other stops. They have different lead singers for every song. The songs have no thru line or melody to speak of. I see here that some people gave this thing 5 stars. Hello! What? There's a reason you never hear of these guys any more. They're probably all living in a shack trying to live on their little checks for "Norwegian" Wood.

I cannot believe that this album is even on par with any of the great Rolling Stones albums. I mean the song "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" could have been written by a child. The Beatles survive on silly little love songs, not good blues-based rock and roll. They were not a "true" band because they rarely played live. It is sad that albums like "Abbey Road" are considered great. The Beatles were simply products of a studio. Listen to Lennon play with Yoko at Madison Square Garden- they sound like a band I knew in high school- "Nobody Goes to Sweden"! Listen to the Stones. The song "Indian Girl" is better then "A Day in the Life". I am glad the Stones are not sell outs like the Beatles. This album stinks.

Born to Run was my #2, too.

:hi5:

It could have easily been #1 even. This album makes me feel good about living and being alive.

It was a lot further down for a while there, but that was because I hadn't given it a good liste in a while. As soon as I did it shot right back up to #2

It is a big honking cliche, sacred cow though.

That's probably my biggest issue with it. You hear how mind blowing and amazing it is for so long, that every time I listen to it I just think, "this is it?!" It's definitely a good album, but not a fav.

I probably would have had The Wall in my top 100, believe it or not.

#3 - Radiohead - OK Computer

cf2c923f8da0db11018b8010.L.jpg

My #2 at #3. Nice. :up:

boring album for boring people

This album blows, plain and simple. For a real listening experience, and a singer you can actually understand, listen to Achtung Baby by U2.

^ Rob33.

Frankly, I didn't understand what all the hype was about. I picked up this album about the time it came out, a friend of mine recommended it to me. I've never listened to Radiohead before, but i am a fan of Pink Floyd and the Beatles, and i have no idea how someone could comment that Radiohead has the same style. Even with Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's sound was never so...slow. Even on their most mellow CD's (the wall for example) you still have tracks which speed things up, tracks like "another brick in the wall" or "run like hell" pick up the pace. EVERYTHING on OKC is slow and mellow. By having that slow a tempo, OKC just goes on and on... i think this would be okay if they interesting lyrics.

Actually, i think this album would be alot better if i could understand what Yorke was singing. It sounds like he mumbled the entire album in his sleep. Even the lyrics booklet was unreadable. When I first listened to it i thought, "no problem I'll just read the lyrics instead of listening to them" but when I opened the book, the lyrics were almost as incomprehensible as yorke's voice. Half of the lyrics look like they came out of an E. E. cummings poem! I didn't even know it was a concept album until i read the reviews.

Although some of the guitar work is interesting, and the sound effects are cool. Lyrical incomprehension(I don't mean understanding the words, I'm talking about trying to figure out what they said) brings this album way down. And its slow pace does little except to make Yorke's voice even more annoying. I don't even know how other people managed to understand the lyrics, perhaps they found them on the internet(which, according to you reviewers who think this is a lyrical work of art, is exaclty what the album was criticizing).

What's wrong with this disc? The sci-fi/alien overproduction and the awful sobbing vocals from that hybrid between a human and a retard orc called Thom Yorke. Fake plastic music.

he cant sing and writes pathetic lyrics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom