Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #151
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 12:54 AM
"Why were punks so full of hate?

Ta-Da"

10/10.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #152
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:54 PM
This is gold, man. Pure gold.

The only album so far I had on my list was Stevie Wonder! Alas.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #153
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
"Why were punks so full of hate?

Ta-Da"

10/10.

I liked
Quote:
More like Easy Macaroni and Cheesy Mac.
as well...
Old 11-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #154
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
Rumours is brilliant; it should be higher
I assume this is the one you listened to like ten times in a row last month?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #155
The Male

#61 - Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Punk-funk; the most bizarre genre this side of blackened goregrind.

Quote:
Brian Eno continues his crusade against good music by helping the crap band of the century, the talking heads, release this shitfest. Every copy of this album, and his goddamn solo albums, should be crushed and force fed into Eno's mouth so he can destroy his insides with his own unbelievably lame music.
Quote:
Distressing, spastic, bombastic, probably plastic too, makes me cringe up into a tight ball like a spider when poked. Gave it 1 star, because: 1. I'm not that mean, 2. I do enjoy one chorus on Once in a Lifetime, however that song is 4 minutes going on 2 hours of repetitive blargle.

I feel like a right wanker now, I hate it when my little loves get reviewed like this, but...hang on, fuck off! This is number 66 (at this moment) on the overall charts while Trout Mask Replica gets a right rollicking back at number 500 (or so). Fuck off again!

May listen to again in future, like force myself like a magnet being pushed (by you 66ers) into the same pole, so I bet i'll just flip around... and be listening to it with my arse again.
Quote:
Something awful for my prog ears.
^ Not Axver, surprisingly.

Now.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I assume this is the one you listened to like ten times in a row last month?
I had a slight Rumours phase
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #157
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
I had a slight Rumours phase
Tiny bit
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

So far only one album from my list has made it: War.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #159
The Male

#60 - Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On

I didn't think it was possible to hate a guy with a voice like that, but the human race continues to surprise me.

Quote:
A perennial favourite of the chattering classes, I purchased this hoping for some high quality soul music of a similar style to the excellent Lighthouse Family - sadly there is no comparison. Firstly there are only 9 songs compared to a whopping 17 on the Very Best of the Lighthouse Family, so it's easy to see where to go for value for money. Secondly, Mr Gayes' anti war sentiments seem somewhat naïve and foolish in today's political climate. Thirdly, Mr Gaye can't sing and has to resort to shock tactics such as singing in a high voice like a lady in order to sell records. No wonder his career ground to a halt in the early 80's! Verdict: avoid.
Quote:
This is just sooo cheesy. I don't understand how people can stand listening to it. Musically, it's fine (especially "Right On"), and Marvin Gaye's vocals are great, but the fusion of subject matter with the sound comes off as silly to me. Curtis Mayfield does this much, much better and actually sounds believable.
Quote:
The usual codswallop synonymous with this crashing bore is what's going on
Quote:
What's Going On lives on the shelf marked 'untouchable.' It is the album to make you feel and (more importantly) look mature, tolerant and sensitive. It is the album that broke down the conventions of popular music, set a benchmark for artistic control and spoke for a generation of disenfranchised Americans. I looked forward to installing it in my woefully predictable top-ten-favourite-albums-ever list.

It sounded a bit samey the first time around. This, however, is a juvenile criticism which has at some point been levelled at every album of merit by, er, juveniles. I looked forward to becoming familiar with the nuances of each song, and taking in some of those oft-praised lyrics of beauty and honesty.

A few more listens. "Inner City Blues," the final track, has staked its claim to greatness, and I'm prepared to hear its case. It has a kind of menacing undercurrent which sits well with Gaye's airy vocals. Nothing else really stands out though. OK, OK, the title track is pretty good, and "Mercy Mercy Me" is way better than the Robert Palmer cover version. And the lyrics are, well, you know... they're not very arresting, are they? I suppose the great ones take a bit of time to reveal themselves. "Only Marvin could have written songs like that," isn't that what they all say?

And so on. I'm not exactly sure when I twigged. Maybe after reading the Most Pretentious Sleeve Notes of All Time, or after noticing the disturbing resonance of "Save the Children" in Michael Jackson's "Earth Song". What about elephants?

In short, I hereby relinquish all claims to maturity, tolerance and sensitivity by declaring that this album ("Inner City Blues" aside) is insipid, shallow and idealistic: an album initially loved for being different which to me sounds featureless. It's almost like it's some kind of empire-ruling person who's not wearing any clothing, but has been convinced of the contrary by conniving dressmakers. This despite the fact that he can clearly see his own penis. SORRY MUM, I'M NOT BUYING IT.*

Now.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #160
Blue Crack Distributor

ElMel, where did you find these little drops of joy?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #161
The Male

#59 - Jeff Buckley - Grace

Cori arrived just in time.

Quote:
It seems like Jeff Buckley attempts to sound like a crossing between Elton John, Gary Moore, Montserrat Caballé and Muse, with a twist of progrock.

He does not succeed in any of those attempts.

His very little voice - whining and weeping, turning to distorted screaming during the refrains - is only partly compensated by the all but original acoustic guitar play, and only little more by the progrock inspired drums and electric guitars.

Therefore, Jeff Buckley is at his best when he doesn't sing.

But he does. So...

The only OK song on 'Grace' is the final 'Dream Brother'. And still, it is only OK, not exactly brilliant.
Quote:
What a horror story this album is. Total overrated claptrap of the highest order!!
Quote:
I'll concede that there's some nifty songwriting going on here, but Buckley's overblown melodrama makes me cringe. Often, the music will gain momentum until Buckley holds things up with a sustained, high-pitched wail, and everything grinds to a halt again. It's like driving in London - crawling along, thinking you're getting somewhere, until you reach the next jam, the squeal of brakes matching the self-pitying squeal of this vocalist who sadly passed on before creating anything tolerable to these ears.

Now.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #162
Blue Crack Distributor

shock tactics such as singing in a high voice like a lady

Old 11-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #163
Blue Crack Distributor

HA! As a surprise to absolutely no one here, Grace did not make my list.

(awaits severe beating from joyfulgirl)
Old 11-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Old 11-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
It seems like Jeff Buckley attempts to sound like a crossing between Elton John, Gary Moore, Montserrat Caballé and Muse, with a twist of progrock.
Wait Gary Moore and Jeff Buckley in the same sentence...what?