Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Listmania! (top 100/individual)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ElMel, before I start reading this thread (and comment on all the individual lists) let me first say THANK YOU for this. :up: That results thread was hilarious and revealing. Too bad I didn't have any time yesterday to take part in it. Because many interesting subjects were raised.

So, I just completed reading the results thread. Now I'll first gonna read this thread in full! :drool:

:hyper:

ElMel, before I start reading this thread (and comment on all the individual lists) let me first say THANK YOU for this. :up: That results thread was hilarious and revealing. Too bad I didn't have any time yesterday to take part in it. Because many interesting subjects were raised.

So, I just completed reading the results thread. Now I'll first gonna read this thread in full! :drool:

:hyper:

:up: Glad you dug it.

I really think placing the negative reviews after each entry was a good idea, and seemed to keep people entertained. It allowed for an extra dimension of discussion, and provided an amusing contrast between this countdown and the ones you see on television, the kind where every album chosen is fawned over without question. Let's face it, we can do that ourselves as well as most critics could, and an opinion that sticks out like a sore thumb is often necessary to prevent the ones doing the fawning from floating away.

Salome

Brian Wilson - Smile 50
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds 49
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire 48
<snip>
Talk Talk - The colour of spring 32
<snip>
Gram Parsons - GP 19
<snip>
Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom 11
<snip>
Tindersticks - Curtains 9
<snip>
Underworld - Second toughest in the infants 6

I really appreciate these! :up: Also many of the others you listed, but these especially. But I knew I could expect good taste from you. :)

MrPryck2U

<snip>
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required 26

I consider this still the worst CD I own. And I'm a bit ashamed to even admit I have this album.
(And yes, I'm in the category of people who can't even get rid of a CD they don't like at all :reject: )

asr

U2 - Achtung Baby 50
U2 - War 49
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire 48
Beatles - Revolver 47
Beatles - The White Album 46
Beatles - Abbey Road 45
David Bowie - Station To Station 44
David Bowie - Low 43
David Bowie - Hunky Dory 42
Prince - 1999 41
Prince - Dirty Mind 40
Prince - Purple Rain 39
Iggy Pop - The Idiot 38
Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat 37
Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes 36
Lou Reed - Transformer 35
Roxy Music - Siren 34
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure 33
Stooges - Fun House 32
Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. 31
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers 30
Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed 29
Police - Regatta De Blanc 28
Police - Zenyatta Mondatta 27
Police - Ghosts In The Machine 26
Duran Duran - Rio 25
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here 24
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon 23
Cure - The Head On the Door 22
Stooges - Raw Power 21
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life 20
Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas 19
Stevie Wonder - Fullfillingness' First Finale 18
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions 17
AC/DC - Back In Black 16
Talking Heads - Remain In Light 15
Sly And The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On 14
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland 13
Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love 12
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffitti 11
Led Zeppelin - Houses Of the Holy 10
Talking Heads - Fear Of Music 9
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew 8
Miles Davis - Big Fun 7
De La Soul - 3 Feet High & Rising 6
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food 5
Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet 4
Clash - London Calling 3
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited 2
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde 1

Interesting ranking order... :hmm:

hardyharhar

I'm surprised. I had expected more Elvis Costello in the top of your list.

More comments when I'm finished reading those individual lists. :wave:

Maybe "taking it for granted" wasn't the best choice of words. I was just surprised that someone who actually got to live through what many consider the greatest era in the history of pop/rock music, was expressing boredom over it, and even more so that someone who lived through that period thinks there are bands that were influenced by those classic bands who are better than those classic bands. I was surprised by that is all. Obviously I disagree with it. But it's all opinions.

Maybe it was just too much of a good thing? We had the radio on constantly and I swear Led Zeppelin was played every hour on the hour for like an entire decade. For this reason, I'm sure, their first record is still my favorite because it didn't get played to death. Same with Pink Floyd, etc. As a bored kid in rural Virginia in the 70s it wasn't like I could just go get on the Internet or rent some movies or go play with my friends (didn't exist within walking distance) or even read a book (books?). It was just the radio, 3 TV stations, our records, and some dumb board games for entertainment.

The music from that period that I still love really wasn't overplayed where I lived - Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Rickie Lee Jones, The Clash, early Stones, some Elton John. But I'm not one to "go back" a lot in general. I'm not terribly nostalgic and tend to prefer what's happening now, not just musically but in general. I guess if there's another Great Depression I will be longing for the good ol' days big time, but short of that, I'm not renting too many old movies, buying old CDs, rereading the classics, or rediscovering 80s clothes.

I do, however, love mid-century modern furniture. :sexywink:

hardyharhar

Popmartijn said....
I'm surprised. I had expected more Elvis Costello in the top of your list.

More comments when I'm finished reading those individual lists. :wave:

After seeing his list, I thought the same thing Marty. :shrug:
Then again, I think you had two interesting ones on your list as well (goes back to see)

Numerous psychological studies have shown that people tend to believe times before their life to have been somehow better or more dignified - ancient historians like myself are notorious for that. I am being a lazy academic so I will not cite these studies now, but perhaps that has something to do with the younger generations placing so much value in the likes of The Beatles, Floyd, and the Stones. I personally grew up with my father proclaiming that Floyd was the greatest band ever, and now I believe it. :happy:

We are highly impressionable.

I guess I was the rebellious type. My father proclaimed that rock & roll was noise but I refused to believe it. :wink:

Maybe "taking it for granted" wasn't the best choice of words. I was just surprised that someone who actually got to live through what many consider the greatest era in the history of pop/rock music, was expressing boredom over it, and even more so that someone who lived through that period thinks there are bands that were influenced by those classic bands who are better than those classic bands. I was surprised by that is all. Obviously I disagree with it. But it's all opinions.

I agree with you 100%! It definitely surprises me that somebody could think that an album that was inspired by a classic album is actually even better than that classic! But to each their own I guess.

What suprises me the most of the lists posted, is that U2 make the peoples top 20 albums only on 5-6 occassions:huh::hmm:

What makes you think everyone is a U2 fan here??? lol. Bang & Clatter is it's own site! ;)

I really think placing the negative reviews after each entry was a good idea, and seemed to keep people entertained. It allowed for an extra dimension of discussion, and provided an amusing contrast between this countdown and the ones you see on television, the kind where every album chosen is fawned over without question. Let's face it, we can do that ourselves as well as most critics could, and an opinion that sticks out like a sore thumb is often necessary to prevent the ones doing the fawning from floating away.

:up: The ridiculously negative reviews brought the laughs too!

(And yes, I'm in the category of people who can't even get rid of a CD they don't like at all :reject: )

lol you are nuts! Why would you not get rid of albums you could never get into?? :wink: Just sell it back to a used CD store and get something else!

NO RAMONES??????? :scream:

Beav!!! Stop quoting that post! :mad: :crack:

Zoots, I absolutely agree with everything you're saying here, as I always have, but is it wrong for me to assert mine as well? Do I have to preface every post of mine with "in my opinion"? No, I don't. I kind of expect some of the people here to have the wherewithal to understand that.

When I give you shit about liking stuff and you get offended, I apologize... I just hope you realize that it's clearly all in good fun.

I guess I'm so used to seeing and using smileys, I take any post without them pretty seriously. ............ :wink:

Plus, he's my nemesis, it's crucial to the dynamic that this continues.

Now that answer is cracking!

bono_212

<snip>
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell II 33
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell 32

Thankfully you didn't have Bat Out Of Hell III above these two. :lol:

Screwtape2

<snip>
Focus - Focus 3 9
<snip>

You were the only other person on this list (if I saw it correctly) that has an album by a Dutch artist on this list. So you deserve a big :up:

And I missed a list by Teethy (and u2popmofo of course :madspit: ).
I hold you personally responsible for the fact that The Colour Of Spring by Talk Talk did not make it to the Top 100! :mad: :rant: :angry:

The individual lists are way more interesting than the final list.

Very true. I now puts the dinosaur aspect of the final Top 100 in perspective. The individual lists vary a lot, but a few oldies keep on appearing. Hence, those albums making the final list, while some of the other interesting stuff gets left out. :(

I agree with you 100%! It definitely surprises me that somebody could think that an album that was inspired by a classic album is actually even better than that classic! But to each their own I guess.

Not is better than but sounds better to my ears today. It makes perfect sense to me that an artist can be inspired by a classic and then redefine and expand on that sound. It doesn't mean it's better, it means I like it better.

Very true. I now puts the dinosaur aspect of the final Top 100 in perspective. The individual lists vary a lot, but a few oldies keep on appearing. Hence, those albums making the final list, while some of the other interesting stuff gets left out. :(

Exactly.

Not is better than but sounds better to my ears today. It makes perfect sense to me that an artist can be inspired by a classic and then redefine and expand on that sound. It doesn't mean it's better, it means I like it better.

I see. Can you give me some examples?

Classic albums are classic for a reason. I couldn't be happier that the list was filled with classic albums! Being an indie snob just to be anti-mainstream and elitist gets a HUGE thumbs down from me! :down:

I generally like music if it sounds good to me. Doesn't matter whether it is indie or mainstream. But I don't get people who fill their list up with indie music and pretty much avoid anything popular just because Rolling Stone or the critics like it!

It's not that I don't like and won't listen to "popular" music--I had a few classic albums on my list--but I don't consider it my favorite music, which was the distinction to me.

And I couldn't care less what Rolling Stone says about any album, indie or not. :wink:

Anyway, LemonMelon, this was a lot of fun, thanks for organizing it all. :up:

Colour of Spring would have been in my Top 5. If only I hadn't been such a procrastinator. :reject:

procrastination.jpg

:shifty: (the first pic didn't show)

It's not that I don't like and won't listen to "popular" music--I had a few classic albums on my list--but I don't consider it my favorite music, which was the distinction to me.

Yeah I understand your point of view. I guess I don't get people who consciously avoid getting exposed to certain albums because they have become very popular.

Yes. Great album. Better than that Led Zep crap.
:p

Ha!

I actually listened to In Utero an hour or so back after ElMel reminded me of it. It sounded better than I remember it but still, I don't get how some people prefer it to Nevermind. :huh: Nevermind has so many great songs and In Utero has some great ones and some like Tourettes or the screaming part of Scentless Apprentice that just make me go.. why??? :crazy:

I actually listened to In Utero an hour or so back after ElMel reminded me of it. It sounded better than I remember it but still, I don't get how some people prefer it to Nevermind. :huh: Nevermind has so many great songs and In Utero has some great ones and some like Tourettes or the screaming part of Scentless Apprentice that just make me go.. why??? :crazy:

Scentless Apprentice and All Apologies are my favorite Nirvana songs by a mile, so there you go. Plus, the production sounds awesome.

Yeah I understand your point of view. I guess I don't get people who consciously avoid getting exposed to certain albums because they have become very popular.

I don't consciously avoid listening to albums either. Except for Pink Floyd. :lol: And that is purely because I've heard so damn much about how amazing and mind-blowing and life-changing their albums are, and now it's positively impossible for any of their records to live up to those standards. I will forever be disappointed by listening to their albums because I just think, "That's it?" I finally opened myself up to the entire Beatles catalog after a long time of avoiding it for that reason as well.

Well this fucking blows. Although my list was sent to LemonMelon, he must not have gotten it. Or maybe I don't count. Cuz my top 50 wasn't posted. :angry:

ETA: copy&pasted from my outbox to LemonMelon (but not included in results)

1. Starflyer 59 - Talking Voice Vs. Singing Voice
2. The Beatles - Abbey Road
3. U2 - The Joshua Tree
4. Gosling - Here Is
5. Oasis - What’s The Story, Morning Glory
6. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
7. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
8. Ours - Distorted Lullabies
9. Loudermilk - The Red Record
10. Radiohead - OK Computer
11. Paul McCartney - Ram
12. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
13. Starflyer 59 - Old
14. The Who - Who’s Next
15. The Beatles - The Beatles
16. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81
17. Weezer - Pinkerton
18. John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
19. Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
20. Stereophonics - Language Sex Violence Other
21. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
22. Ours - Mercy (Dancing for the Death of an Imaginary Enemy)
23. Pearl Jam - Ten
24. Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
25. Coldplay - Viva la Vida
26. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
27. The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
28. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo’s Factory
29. The Cure - Disintegration
30. Vendetta Red - Sisters of the Red Death
31. The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth
32. The White Stripes - Elephant
33. Oasis - Don’t Believe The Truth
34. U2 - War
35. Pearl Jam - Vs.
36. Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album)
37. John Lennon - Imagine
38. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
39. Mute Math - Mute Math
40. The Killers - Sam’s Town
41. Wings - Band on the Run
42. Starflyer 59 - Dial M
43. Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze
44. Pedro the Lion - Control
45. Fine China - The Jaws of Life
46. The Cure - Wish
47. M83 - Saturdays=Youth
48. Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
49. Harvey Danger - Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone
50. George Harrison - Living in the Material World

LemonMelon, accidently forgot about my list:

1. The Beatles - The White Album
2. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
3. The Who - Who's Next
4. U2 - Joshua Tree
5. U2 - Achtung Baby
6. The Beatles - Let it Be
6. Led Zeppelin - IV
7. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
8. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
9. U2 - War
10. Nirvana - Nevermind
11. Metallica - The Black Album
12. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
13. Oasis - Definitely, Maybe
14. The Beatles - Abbey Road
15. Green Day - Dookie
16. Beck - Odelay
17. Oasis - (What's the Story?) Morning Glory
18. Jeff Buckley - Grace
19. Peter Gabriel - So
20. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
21. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
22. Wilco - Yankee Fortox Hotel
23. The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
24. Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
25. The Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
26. Muse - Absolution
27. Arcade Fire - Funeral
28. The Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (Live Album)
29. Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
30. Moby - Play
31. Weezer - The Blue Album
32. Incubus - Morning View
33. Jimmy Eat World -Bleed American
34. Weezer - The Green Album
35. Guster - Parachute
36. Moby - 18
37. Wilco - A Ghost is Born
38. Tears For Fears - Songs From the Big Chair
39. The Red Chili Peppers -By the Way
40. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
41. Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
42. Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
43. Blur - Parklife
44. The Killers - Hot Fuss
45. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
46. The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
47. Neil Diamond - 12 Songs
48. The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
49. Ryan Adams - Rock N Roll
50. Keane - Hopes & Fears

Missing lists!!! :ohmy:
I demand a recount!

And then take notice of those hanging chads.
:p

BTW, CIB, was it really necessary to quote's ElMel's lengthy first post in full? :huh:

what I don't understand though is how on a list so top heavy with "classic classics" that Rolling Stone woud print it without blinking twice Pet Sounds doesn't end up waaaaaaaaay higher
because some of the albums that are ahead of it now are really just ... umm .... well, it should have been higher

:applaud:

Hear! Hear!

Yes, I could. But it would just turn into a battle

lol this is true.

Scentless Apprentice and All Apologies are my favorite Nirvana songs by a mile, so there you go. Plus, the production sounds awesome.

Are you saying that the production is weak on Nevermind?

I love the drumming on Scentless but hate the unnecessary screaming. Apart from a handful of good songs, In Utero sounds to me like a raw and tuneless version of Nevermind. Even though I love Heart Shaped Box, Rape Me and Dumb to death and like a few other songs too, I'd still take Teen Spirit, Lithium, In Bloom, Breed, Polly, On A Plain, Stay Away etc. over the former.

:yes: Exactly. They provided for some great laughs. As were the references to that Top 100 U2 songs thread that provided some inspiration for this project. I haven't laughed so hard because of a forum thread in a long time.

it's not bright eyes

Back
Top Bottom