Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Listmania! (top 100/individual)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys are driving me nuts "oh wah wah, why did all these classic albums make this list, it should be full of INDIE MUSIC!!!" when on the other hand two really freaking new albums made the top of the list you whine "Oh In Rainbows doesn't DESERVE to be here, on Funeral shouldn't have made the top ten" FFS. The reason those albums made the list is because people who love them, placed them highly on their list. This was NOT based on album sales, or critic recommendations, it was based on the personal taste of 36 people on a message board for a band that has been around for over 30 years!

Also a little disappointed at the total lack of any Elton John or Billy Joel from the top 100. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, The Stranger anyone?

I tried to help out Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but it wasn't enough. The Stranger had a number of appearances, but they were lower than necessary.

There were too many repeat artists, I will concede. Imagine what it would have been like with all of the restrictions relaxed! :yikes:

You guys are driving me nuts "oh wah wah, why did all these classic albums make this list, it should be full of INDIE MUSIC!!!" when on the other hand two really freaking new albums made the top of the list you whine "Oh In Rainbows doesn't DESERVE to be here, on Funeral shouldn't have made the top ten" FFS. The reason those albums made the list is because people who love them, placed them highly on their list. This was NOT based on album sales, or critic recommendations, it was based on the personal taste of 36 people on a message board for a band that has been around for over 30 years!

Don't look at me. I didn't contradict myself - the classic albums should be there AND In Rainbows didn't deserve to be that high. :)

Classic albums are classic for a reason. I couldn't be happier that the list was filled with classic albums! Being an indie snob just to be anti-mainstream and elitist gets a HUGE thumbs down from me! :down:

I generally like music if it sounds good to me. Doesn't matter whether it is indie or mainstream. But I don't get people who fill their list up with indie music and pretty much avoid anything popular just because Rolling Stone or the critics like it!

Last edited:
For someone who grew up with a lot of the 'classic' music that made this list, you seem to be taking it for granted.

I think you were the one who asked earlier, so I'll answer: Yes, I do actually listen to Led Zeppelin on a regular basis. As well as the Beatles. As well as Floyd.

Good for you. :shrug: I have no problem with that. I have conceded several times already that it's good that younger people are discovering the music that I grew up with, and that that music meant a lot to me at the time so I can appreciate where you're coming from.

I also think, as someone else pointed out, that some of the music the classics inspired sound better today than the classics themselves, and I was surprised that the list did not include more of a balance of classics and more recent music.

My comment about a post-80s list wasn't necessarily an attack on pre-80s music but more that we've done that, now let's do something else fun. I believe I clarified that as well.

That is my opinion, and that is all.. :)

I find it interesting that you cite Arcade Fire when making the argument that the choice was too safe when the Beatles and Zeppelin dominated much of the top 50.

Arcade Fire are a "safe" indie band that a lot of people on here have heard of thanks to them opening for U2...

I'm not saying they are bad, both of their albums were in fact on my list, I'm just saying it's sad when they were the most obscure band to make the list...

lol @ The Bends

Listening to Travis > Police Academy or any movie ever produced for that matter.

Nevermind is actually a really good album. I went off it for a few years ago there, and got back into it. It's one those that you appreciate in waves, yet it's something stonger than nostalgia. It flows very nicely and doesn't really have any weak moments on it. If anything, it's only weakness is that we've heard the anthems SOOO many times (Come As You Are, Teen Spirit, Lithium, Polly), and they are really are anthems in the proper timelessness sense. The cultural significance of the album, love it or loathe it and whether or not it has perhaps been over-emphasised due to Cobain's tragic end, is mega.

Three things in life are certain: death, taxes, and you being horribly wrong about everything.

Next person who quotes the entire first post of this thread gets their shin kicked.

Am I the only person that had Jane's Addiction on their list? What is wrong with you people? Philistines! I am surrounded by Philistines!:angry:

Good thing Beav has no legs.

:yes:

We should do a list with nothing before 1980 allowed.

I would love to do that, actually. A lot of the albums that would fit in my 50-100 range fall within the last 15-20 years or so.

I tried to help out Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but it wasn't enough. The Stranger had a number of appearances, but they were lower than necessary.

There were too many repeat artists, I will concede. Imagine what it would have been like with all of the restrictions relaxed! :yikes:

I had The Stranger on mine, wished it would have made it. The most surprising album was that Love album... the first time I had ever heard of it was on one of your DI lists.

Good for you. :shrug: I have no problem with that. I have conceded several times already that it's good that younger people are discovering the music that I grew up with, and that that music meant a lot to me at the time so I can appreciate where you're coming from.

I also think, as someone else pointed out, that some of the music the classics inspired sound better today than the classics themselves, and I was surprised that the list did not include more of a balance of classics and more recent music.

My comment about a post-80s list wasn't necessarily an attack on pre-80s music but more that we've done that, now let's do something else fun. I believe I clarified that as well.

That is my opinion, and that is all.. :)

You acting classy here totally ruins an entertainingly lame argument. Come on, now.

Hey Mel, I think what would make this process more fair is taking the total points, like you did, and multiplying them by the total lists they made it onto or something. That way, list representation and placement are on a little more even field? I don't know.

I would like to re-do the Interference's Top 100 Movies in this format, if it's okay with you and if you guys are all interested.

Three things in life are certain: death, taxes, and you being horribly wrong about everything.

In case you have forgotten, there is this thing called opinion. It is subjective and differs from person to person. You may think he is always wrong. I may think he is wrong only sometimes and he himself will think he is never wrong. All these opinions are valid.

I had The Stranger on mine, wished it would have made it. The most surprising album was that Love album... the first time I had ever heard of it was on one of your DI lists.

Bonnie used a track from Forever Changes on her DI5 entry, if I recall correctly. :hmm:

Hey Mel, I think what would make this process more fair is taking the total points, like you did, and multiplying them by the total lists they made it onto or something. That way, list representation and placement are on a little more even field? I don't know.

That is an excellent idea. Should have thought of it before. Sounds like good a way to make another Interference Top 100 Albums worthwhile in a few years. Increased accuracy and all that.

In case you have forgotten, there is this thing called opinion. It is subjective and differs from person to person. You may think he is always wrong. I may think he is wrong only sometimes and he himself will think he is never wrong. All these opinions are valid.

Zoots, I absolutely agree with everything you're saying here, as I always have, but is it wrong for me to assert mine as well? Do I have to preface every post of mine with "in my opinion"? No, I don't. I kind of expect some of the people here to have the wherewithal to understand that.

When I give you shit about liking stuff and you get offended, I apologize... I just hope you realize that it's clearly all in good fun.

Plus, he's my nemesis, it's crucial to the dynamic that this continues.

I don't like the classic movies either, for the record. :laugh:

Hah, it's totally cool. I pretty much reach the '70s, maybe the '60s, and that's about it.

That is an excellent idea. Should have thought of it before. Sounds like good a way to make another Interference Top 100 Albums worthwhile in a few years. Increased accuracy and all that.

Glad you agree. It really does more to strengthen the mid- to lower-ranging entries than anything else... maybe help the order of the top ones a tiny bit, but not too much.

bitch_stole_my_fish_funny_picture.jpg

Glad you agree. It really does more to strengthen the mid- to lower-ranging entries than anything else... maybe help the order of the top ones a tiny bit, but not too much.

The current system is already primitive. :(

But extended marathon countdowns that take up the majority of interference's monthly bandwith will never go out of style.

The current system is already primitive. :(

But extended marathon countdowns that take up the majority of interference's monthly bandwith will never go out of style.

Doing it with movies will be great, especially when The Lord of the Rings movies get ranked way, way too high.

Again, such is life... and borderline homosexual dwarves.

For someone who grew up with a lot of the 'classic' music that made this list, you seem to be taking it for granted.

I thought it was kind of weird when you said that yesterday, too. What do you mean "taking it for granted"?

Also, I know we all love U2. I love Joshua and Achtung as much as the next Interferencer, but come on...do we really think they're the two greatest records of all time?

here again, I think it comes down to the different interpretations of the game - who treated it as "best albums ever" and who treated it as "my favorite albums ever"?

I guess that kind of takes care of my question to your first answer as well. Is Joyfulgirl "taking it for granted" or are those albums simply not among her favorites?

Eh, it could go 'round and 'round all day with all the "favorites" vs "best" stuff. I know I commented several times yesterday with all the "why all the xxx?" but I do honestly agree with Joyfulgirl, that it was more surprise than dismay.

:)

Doing it with movies will be great, especially when The Lord of the Rings movies get ranked way, way too high.

Again, such is life... and borderline homosexual dwarves.

Trilogies should be counted as 1 if they're all telling the same story, imo. BTTF tells one story over three films. The ST OT tells one story over three films. LOTR tells one story over three films. Just a thought.

Trilogies should be counted as 1 if they're all telling the same story, imo. BTTF tells one story over three films. The ST OT tells one story over three films. LOTR tells one story over three films. Just a thought.

Right, but when you're figuring a list of 100 Favorite Films and trying to put them on even playing fields, you have to separate them and look at them on a single-film basis in order to make a legit list. It throws the numbers out of whack and messes up the calculations, and I say to not do that every time, but people manage to do it anyway.

I highly disagree about the Back to the Future trilogy. They had the single threads linking them from film-to-film, but the driving stories of each film were radically different from the next. What does Biff stealing an almanac have to do with Doc falling in love with Clara apart from Doc getting struck by lightning in the 2nd film? Do you see what I'm getting at here.

I thought it was kind of weird when you said that yesterday, too. What do you mean "taking it for granted"?

here again, I think it comes down to the different interpretations of the game - who treated it as "best albums ever" and who treated it as "my favorite albums ever"?

I guess that kind of takes care of my question to your first answer as well. Is Joyfulgirl "taking it for granted" or are those albums simply not among her favorites?

Eh, it could go 'round and 'round all day with all the "favorites" vs "best" stuff. I know I commented several times yesterday with all the "why all the xxx?" but I do honestly agree with Joyfulgirl, that it was more surprise than dismay.

:)

Maybe "taking it for granted" wasn't the best choice of words. I was just surprised that someone who actually got to live through what many consider the greatest era in the history of pop/rock music, was expressing boredom over it, and even more so that someone who lived through that period thinks there are bands that were influenced by those classic bands who are better than those classic bands. I was surprised by that is all. Obviously I disagree with it. But it's all opinions.

I highly disagree about the Back to the Future trilogy. They had the single threads linking them from film-to-film, but the driving stories of each film were radically different from the next. What does Biff stealing an almanac have to do with Doc falling in love with Clara apart from Doc getting struck by lightning in the 2nd film? Do you see what I'm getting at here.

I'd say Back To The Future I & II appear to be somewhat related, while the third feels like the step cousin three times removed that was raised out in the wilderness by groundhogs. He's a blast at parties just the same.

I'd say Back To The Future I & II appear to be somewhat related, while the third feels like the step cousin three times removed that was raised out in the wilderness by groundhogs. He's blast at parties just the same.

Part II does do the whole alternate angle on the events of the first film, but they're so radically different in tone and approach that you can definitely consider them their own films.

Right, but when you're figuring a list of 100 Favorite Films and trying to put them on even playing fields, you have to separate them and look at them on a single-film basis in order to make a legit list. It throws the numbers out of whack and messes up the calculations, and I say to not do that every time, but people manage to do it anyway.

You have a point about BTTF. Maybe it shouldn't be in the same category. Perhaps even SW shouldn't be in that category since there were big time gaps between each film.

I'm just saying, especially with something like LOTR, you could connect them together and have a 9-hour film and barely notice that they were originally three different films(might take a little editing, but still) because they were all shot at the same time. From this point of view, you could see them as three different parts of the same film. That's all I'm saying. But hey, you'll be running the thing, it's your prerogative. :)

Numerous psychological studies have shown that people tend to believe times before their life to have been somehow better or more dignified - ancient historians like myself are notorious for that. I am being a lazy academic so I will not cite these studies now, but perhaps that has something to do with the younger generations placing so much value in the likes of The Beatles, Floyd, and the Stones. I personally grew up with my father proclaiming that Floyd was the greatest band ever, and now I believe it. :happy:

We are highly impressionable.

You have a point about BTTF. Maybe it shouldn't be in the same category. Perhaps even SW shouldn't be in that category since there were big time gaps between each film.

I'm just saying, especially with something like LOTR, you could connect them together and have a 9-hour film and barely notice that they were originally three different films(might take a little editing, but still) because they were all shot at the same time. From this point of view, you could see them as three different parts of the same film. That's all I'm saying. But hey, you'll be running the thing, it's your prerogative. :)

Exactly. The whole "sequels filmed at the same time" thing could maybe be applied here, but not for a whole series, in most cases. Kill Bill is a bone of contention for me, too, since I view it as one film, but they are two distinct films in tone and content.

Now with LOTR, I agree with you in that they should be viewed as one whole series because that's the intent of the filmmaker. All I'm saying is that for the purpose of an individual film list, they need to be separated.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the series, but do realize that it's popular amongst a good portion of the people on this site, same with Star Wars and other major nerd franchises. Since I'm unable to understand the concept of an opinion, however, I have to say that they're wrong.

Back
Top Bottom