Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Listmania! (top 100/individual)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmm, I think only 6 albums I had in my top 50 made the cut
I would have expected a couple more but it's not too bad

what I don't understand though is how on a list so top heavy with "classic classics" that Rolling Stone woud print it without blinking twice Pet Sounds doesn't end up waaaaaaaaay higher
because some of the albums that are ahead of it now are really just ... umm .... well, it should have been higher

There was quite a lot in your list that made me happy.

lol @ The Bends

Listening to Travis > Police Academy or any movie ever produced for that matter.

Nevermind is actually a really good album. I went off it for a few years ago there, and got back into it. It's one those that you appreciate in waves, yet it's something stonger than nostalgia. It flows very nicely and doesn't really have any weak moments on it. If anything, it's only weakness is that we've heard the anthems SOOO many times (Come As You Are, Teen Spirit, Lithium, Polly), and they are really are anthems in the proper timelessness sense. The cultural significance of the album, love it or loathe it and whether or not it has perhaps been over-emphasised due to Cobain's tragic end, is mega.

Nevermind isn't that bad of an album, it's just not that great of an album, either. I do appreciate its rawness and I'm not one of those that thinks that Ten is miles and miles ahead of it, but like hell it's a classic.

For the record, there are a few tracks on Incesticide that I really like, and Scentless Apprentice is a really cool song. I have nothing against Nirvana, I think they were good guys and their continuing popularity, their influence on some of the worst bands of all time (mostly Canadian ones) as well as the fact that Nirvana shirts are the thing that like every second 15 year old wears nowadays is really the sort of thing Kurt would have hated. But that doesn't change the fact that none of their albums are brilliant.

In Rainbows is so much better than The Bends, it shouldn't of been in front of Kid A but it was definitely rightly placed ahead of The Bends.

Well this fucking blows. Although my list was sent to LemonMelon, he must not have gotten it. Or maybe I don't count. Cuz my top 50 wasn't posted. :angry:

No, I did get it. :doh: It should have been on the list above MrPryck2U. It's nothing personal, I just screwed up.

CIB's list wasn't included because of Stop Making Sense, and Anu sent me a list that needed correction, but didn't fix it in time.

No, I did get it. :doh: It should have been on the list above MrPryck2U. It's nothing personal, I just screwed up.

CIB's list wasn't included because of Stop Making Sense, and Anu sent me a list that needed correction, but didn't fix it in time.

I understand. :) You only told me to take out Legend. I wish I knew live albums weren't accepted. :|

I understand. :) You told me to take out Legend. I wish I knew live albums weren't accepted.

I wish I had seen Stop Making Sense before so I could have mentioned it. :doh: It must have changed position or something, because I didn't notice it the first time.

For the record, CIB's list was:

1. The Beatles - The White Album
2. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
3. The Who - Who's Next
4. U2 - Joshua Tree
5. U2 - Achtung Baby
6. The Beatles - Let it Be
6. Led Zeppelin - IV
7. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
8. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
9. U2 - War
10. Nirvana - Nevermind
11. Metallica - The Black Album
12. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
13. Oasis - Definitely, Maybe
14. The Beatles - Abbey Road
15. Green Day - Dookie
16. Beck - Odelay
17. Oasis - (What's the Story?) Morning Glory
18. Jeff Buckley - Grace
19. Peter Gabriel - So
20. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
21. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
22. Wilco - Yankee Fortox Hotel
23. The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
24. Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
25. The Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
26. Muse - Absolution
27. Arcade Fire - Funeral
28. The Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (Live Album)
29. Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
30. Moby - Play
31. Weezer - The Blue Album
32. Incubus - Morning View
33. Jimmy Eat World -Bleed American
34. Weezer - The Green Album
35. Guster - Parachute
36. Moby - 18
37. Wilco - A Ghost is Born
38. Tears For Fears - Songs From the Big Chair
39. The Red Chili Peppers -By the Way
40. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
41. Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
42. Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
43. Blur - Parklife
44. The Killers - Hot Fuss
45. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
46. The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
47. Neil Diamond - 12 Songs
48. The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
49. Ryan Adams - Rock N Roll
50. Keane - Hopes & Fears

Hell Freezes Over, though primarily live, is technically eligible because it has some original studio material. The list probably would have pushed Unknown Pleasures up a bunch, which would have been cool, but otherwise has most of the top 20 in there anyway.

I am surprised there was no love for Beck, Odelay?! Come on guys, two turntables and a mircophone!

I wish some Peppers were on the list too. I know a couple had BloodSexMagik on there list. It was a close one too.

But anways, I thought everyone did very well, esp. LemonMelon who took a great idea and put it in action! Thanks again. :)

I am really happy that a Wilco and Talking Heads album appeared on the list. :up:

you think between scumbo and impy this could have happened :tsk:

:lol: I'm actually really interested to see how the rankings would have differed had they entered lists. I feel like a lot of my indie albums would've had a better chance at making the list, since some of them ended up in the 50 honorable mentions.

less stones/bowie/Zeppelin is a good thing imo...

:yes: That'd be the one gripe I have with this list. It was very classics heavy, which is fine, but I kind of get enough of it with a friend of mine who only listens to classic rock. :wink: I just think it would have been nice for albums that aren't usually on these types of lists to show up for once.

I am surprised there was no love for Beck, Odelay?! Come on guys, two turntables and a mircophone!

That was my first comment on all this. I know Sea Change is more popular here but I would have had Odelay on my list, and maybe Sea Change if there was room.

The absence of Beck and Bjork on this list is just plain weird.

it felt like I was reading something from Rolling Stone - very safe choices in a lot of cases...

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that either, it just would have been nice for something more interesting than Arcade Fire to make an appearance or two...

it felt like I was reading something from Rolling Stone - very safe choices in a lot of cases...

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that either, it just would have been nice for something more interesting than Arcade Fire to make an appearance or two...

:yes:

We should do a list with nothing before 1980 allowed.

Back
Top Bottom