Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Listmania! (top 100/individual) - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #241
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:06 AM
ElMel, before I start reading this thread (and comment on all the individual lists) let me first say THANK YOU for this. That results thread was hilarious and revealing. Too bad I didn't have any time yesterday to take part in it. Because many interesting subjects were raised.

So, I just completed reading the results thread. Now I'll first gonna read this thread in full!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #242
The Male

Local Time: 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
ElMel, before I start reading this thread (and comment on all the individual lists) let me first say THANK YOU for this. That results thread was hilarious and revealing. Too bad I didn't have any time yesterday to take part in it. Because many interesting subjects were raised.

So, I just completed reading the results thread. Now I'll first gonna read this thread in full!

Glad you dug it.

I really think placing the negative reviews after each entry was a good idea, and seemed to keep people entertained. It allowed for an extra dimension of discussion, and provided an amusing contrast between this countdown and the ones you see on television, the kind where every album chosen is fawned over without question. Let's face it, we can do that ourselves as well as most critics could, and an opinion that sticks out like a sore thumb is often necessary to prevent the ones doing the fawning from floating away.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #243
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Salome

Brian Wilson - Smile 50
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds 49
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire 48
<snip>
Talk Talk - The colour of spring 32
<snip>
Gram Parsons - GP 19
<snip>
Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom 11
<snip>
Tindersticks - Curtains 9
<snip>
Underworld - Second toughest in the infants 6
I really appreciate these! Also many of the others you listed, but these especially. But I knew I could expect good taste from you.

Quote:
MrPryck2U

<snip>
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required 26
I consider this still the worst CD I own. And I'm a bit ashamed to even admit I have this album.
(And yes, I'm in the category of people who can't even get rid of a CD they don't like at all )

Quote:
asr

U2 - Achtung Baby 50
U2 - War 49
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire 48
Beatles - Revolver 47
Beatles - The White Album 46
Beatles - Abbey Road 45
David Bowie - Station To Station 44
David Bowie - Low 43
David Bowie - Hunky Dory 42
Prince - 1999 41
Prince - Dirty Mind 40
Prince - Purple Rain 39
Iggy Pop - The Idiot 38
Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat 37
Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes 36
Lou Reed - Transformer 35
Roxy Music - Siren 34
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure 33
Stooges - Fun House 32
Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. 31
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers 30
Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed 29
Police - Regatta De Blanc 28
Police - Zenyatta Mondatta 27
Police - Ghosts In The Machine 26
Duran Duran - Rio 25
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here 24
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon 23
Cure - The Head On the Door 22
Stooges - Raw Power 21
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life 20
Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas 19
Stevie Wonder - Fullfillingness' First Finale 18
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions 17
AC/DC - Back In Black 16
Talking Heads - Remain In Light 15
Sly And The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On 14
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland 13
Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love 12
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffitti 11
Led Zeppelin - Houses Of the Holy 10
Talking Heads - Fear Of Music 9
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew 8
Miles Davis - Big Fun 7
De La Soul - 3 Feet High & Rising 6
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food 5
Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet 4
Clash - London Calling 3
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited 2
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde 1
Interesting ranking order...

Quote:
hardyharhar
I'm surprised. I had expected more Elvis Costello in the top of your list.

More comments when I'm finished reading those individual lists.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #244
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Maybe "taking it for granted" wasn't the best choice of words. I was just surprised that someone who actually got to live through what many consider the greatest era in the history of pop/rock music, was expressing boredom over it, and even more so that someone who lived through that period thinks there are bands that were influenced by those classic bands who are better than those classic bands. I was surprised by that is all. Obviously I disagree with it. But it's all opinions.
Maybe it was just too much of a good thing? We had the radio on constantly and I swear Led Zeppelin was played every hour on the hour for like an entire decade. For this reason, I'm sure, their first record is still my favorite because it didn't get played to death. Same with Pink Floyd, etc. As a bored kid in rural Virginia in the 70s it wasn't like I could just go get on the Internet or rent some movies or go play with my friends (didn't exist within walking distance) or even read a book (books?). It was just the radio, 3 TV stations, our records, and some dumb board games for entertainment.

The music from that period that I still love really wasn't overplayed where I lived - Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Rickie Lee Jones, The Clash, early Stones, some Elton John. But I'm not one to "go back" a lot in general. I'm not terribly nostalgic and tend to prefer what's happening now, not just musically but in general. I guess if there's another Great Depression I will be longing for the good ol' days big time, but short of that, I'm not renting too many old movies, buying old CDs, rereading the classics, or rediscovering 80s clothes.

I do, however, love mid-century modern furniture.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #245
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
hardyharhar
Quote:
Popmartijn said....
I'm surprised. I had expected more Elvis Costello in the top of your list.

More comments when I'm finished reading those individual lists.

After seeing his list, I thought the same thing Marty.
Then again, I think you had two interesting ones on your list as well (goes back to see)
Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdisantis83 View Post
Numerous psychological studies have shown that people tend to believe times before their life to have been somehow better or more dignified - ancient historians like myself are notorious for that. I am being a lazy academic so I will not cite these studies now, but perhaps that has something to do with the younger generations placing so much value in the likes of The Beatles, Floyd, and the Stones. I personally grew up with my father proclaiming that Floyd was the greatest band ever, and now I believe it.

We are highly impressionable.
I guess I was the rebellious type. My father proclaimed that rock & roll was noise but I refused to believe it.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #247
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Maybe "taking it for granted" wasn't the best choice of words. I was just surprised that someone who actually got to live through what many consider the greatest era in the history of pop/rock music, was expressing boredom over it, and even more so that someone who lived through that period thinks there are bands that were influenced by those classic bands who are better than those classic bands. I was surprised by that is all. Obviously I disagree with it. But it's all opinions.
I agree with you 100%! It definitely surprises me that somebody could think that an album that was inspired by a classic album is actually even better than that classic! But to each their own I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
What suprises me the most of the lists posted, is that U2 make the peoples top 20 albums only on 5-6 occassions
What makes you think everyone is a U2 fan here??? lol. Bang & Clatter is it's own site!

Quote:
I really think placing the negative reviews after each entry was a good idea, and seemed to keep people entertained. It allowed for an extra dimension of discussion, and provided an amusing contrast between this countdown and the ones you see on television, the kind where every album chosen is fawned over without question. Let's face it, we can do that ourselves as well as most critics could, and an opinion that sticks out like a sore thumb is often necessary to prevent the ones doing the fawning from floating away.
The ridiculously negative reviews brought the laughs too!

Quote:
(And yes, I'm in the category of people who can't even get rid of a CD they don't like at all )
lol you are nuts! Why would you not get rid of albums you could never get into?? Just sell it back to a used CD store and get something else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
NO RAMONES???????
Beav!!! Stop quoting that post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Zoots, I absolutely agree with everything you're saying here, as I always have, but is it wrong for me to assert mine as well? Do I have to preface every post of mine with "in my opinion"? No, I don't. I kind of expect some of the people here to have the wherewithal to understand that.

When I give you shit about liking stuff and you get offended, I apologize... I just hope you realize that it's clearly all in good fun.
I guess I'm so used to seeing and using smileys, I take any post without them pretty seriously. ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Plus, he's my nemesis, it's crucial to the dynamic that this continues.
Now that answer is cracking!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #248
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
bono_212

<snip>
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell II 33
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell 32
Thankfully you didn't have Bat Out Of Hell III above these two.

Quote:
Screwtape2

<snip>
Focus - Focus 3 9
<snip>
You were the only other person on this list (if I saw it correctly) that has an album by a Dutch artist on this list. So you deserve a big

And I missed a list by Teethy (and u2popmofo of course ).
I hold you personally responsible for the fact that The Colour Of Spring by Talk Talk did not make it to the Top 100!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #249
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:06 PM
I thought Bat III might be pushing things a bit (but I did want to add it )
Old 11-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #250
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
The individual lists are way more interesting than the final list.
Very true. I now puts the dinosaur aspect of the final Top 100 in perspective. The individual lists vary a lot, but a few oldies keep on appearing. Hence, those albums making the final list, while some of the other interesting stuff gets left out.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I agree with you 100%! It definitely surprises me that somebody could think that an album that was inspired by a classic album is actually even better than that classic! But to each their own I guess.
Not is better than but sounds better to my ears today. It makes perfect sense to me that an artist can be inspired by a classic and then redefine and expand on that sound. It doesn't mean it's better, it means I like it better.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #252
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Very true. I now puts the dinosaur aspect of the final Top 100 in perspective. The individual lists vary a lot, but a few oldies keep on appearing. Hence, those albums making the final list, while some of the other interesting stuff gets left out.
Exactly.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #253
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I hold you personally responsible for the fact that The Colour Of Spring by Talk Talk did not make it to the Top 100!
Colour of Spring would have been in my Top 5. If only I hadn't been such a procrastinator.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #254
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
Not is better than but sounds better to my ears today. It makes perfect sense to me that an artist can be inspired by a classic and then redefine and expand on that sound. It doesn't mean it's better, it means I like it better.
I see. Can you give me some examples?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Classic albums are classic for a reason. I couldn't be happier that the list was filled with classic albums! Being an indie snob just to be anti-mainstream and elitist gets a HUGE thumbs down from me!

I generally like music if it sounds good to me. Doesn't matter whether it is indie or mainstream. But I don't get people who fill their list up with indie music and pretty much avoid anything popular just because Rolling Stone or the critics like it!
It's not that I don't like and won't listen to "popular" music--I had a few classic albums on my list--but I don't consider it my favorite music, which was the distinction to me.

And I couldn't care less what Rolling Stone says about any album, indie or not.

Anyway, LemonMelon, this was a lot of fun, thanks for organizing it all.