Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Listmania! (top 100/individual) - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I was surprised Rubber Soul didn't make the cut, either. I know Screwtape (?) wondered where Help! was, but honestly, early Beatles stuff doesn't seem to be very popular around here.
Help! is probably the third or fourth best Beatles album in my opinion. I was disappointed to see The White Album so high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdisantis83 View Post
Perhaps this is a bit late, but Screwtape, nice calls on "Violator" and "Viva Hate." The former especially should have made an appearance - it is cut from the same cloth as "Disintegration" and is equally accomplished.
Thanks. Depeche Mode isn't as popular as they should be around here.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #197
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:15 AM
I like Violator, but I'm so tired of Personal Jesus that I forget that the rest of the album is so good!

Old 11-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #198
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I like Violator, but I'm so tired of Personal Jesus that I forget that the rest of the album is so good!
Personal Jesus is played too much.

Halo, Waiting For The Night, Blue Dress and World In My Eyes are as worthy as the more well know tracks.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #199
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post

We should do a list with nothing before 1980 allowed.
How 'bout a list with nothing before 2000?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
How 'bout a list with nothing before 2000?
We have plenty of time - we can do one for each decade.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #201
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Halo, Waiting For The Night, Blue Dress and World In My Eyes are as worthy as the more well know tracks.
Those tracks are all amazing! Agreed! But how about I Feel You, Walking In My Shoes, Condemnation, In Your Room, Rush, One Caress, Higher Love...?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #202
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Those tracks are all amazing! Agreed! But how about I Feel You, Walking In My Shoes, Condemnation, In Your Room, Rush, One Caress, Higher Love...?
I love that album. I meant to put it on my list, let me go and check ..... did any depeche mode make it?

Crap, I left that one off. Jackass. UNH!.....no rage either?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Songs is my second favorite Depeche Mode album. It was just on the outside of my list.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #204
Refugee

If I had to choose a second Depeche Mode album, it would probably be "Music for the Masses." The problem with DM is inconsistency, but when they are firing, as they are on "Violator," they are phenomenal.

Halo / Waiting for the Night / Enjoy the Silence is one of the finest trilogies one will ever hear.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

The only song I don't care for on Violator is Clean. A weak ending to an otherwise exceptional album.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #206
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
it felt like I was reading something from Rolling Stone - very safe choices in a lot of cases...

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that either, it just would have been nice for something more interesting than Arcade Fire to make an appearance or two...
I find it interesting that you cite Arcade Fire when making the argument that the choice was too safe when the Beatles and Zeppelin dominated much of the top 50.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #207
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I find it interesting that you cite Arcade Fire when making the argument that the choice was too safe when the Beatles and Zeppelin dominated much of the top 50.
I was personally stunned to see Funeral make the top 10. Top 50, sure, but not sandwiched between Wish You Were Here and Revolver.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #208
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post

We should do a list with nothing before 1980 allowed.
For someone who grew up with a lot of the 'classic' music that made this list, you seem to be taking it for granted.

I think you were the one who asked earlier, so I'll answer: Yes, I do actually listen to Led Zeppelin on a regular basis. As well as the Beatles. As well as Floyd.

And somebody else made a comment about how strange it is that so many albums from 40 years ago are still consistently ranked at the top of these sorts of lists.

I don't think it's strange at all. Mozart and Bach and Beethoven and Chopin and Brahms made music hundreds of years ago. Is is strange that they're still considered the greatest composers of all time?

If new generations are still discovering music that was written a long time ago and are still falling in love with it the same way people did when it was new, then there must be something to it, imo.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #209
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I was personally stunned to see Funeral make the top 10. Top 50, sure, but not sandwiched between Wish You Were Here and Revolver.
While I was being sarcastic when I stated that I expected "Funeral" to land at #2, somewhere in the back of my mind I worried that it might actually happen. Arcade Fire, Coldplay, and Sigur Ros are three bands whose popularity on this forum frequently surprises me. That being said, I like all three, just not to the extent that some here do.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #210
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It shouldn't have made it that high.

In Rainbows was much too high as well. I like the record a lot, but no way is is better than The Bends imo, let alone better than some of the 'classic' albums that came before it on the list.

A Rush Of Blood To The Head should have been nowhere near where it was.

Also, I know we all love U2. I love Joshua and Achtung as much as the next Interferencer, but come on...do we really think they're the two greatest records of all time? In the Top 15-30 maybe. And TUF was entirely too high(sorry, Axver). That's top 50-100 material, imo.

And I apologize to our Clash fans, but I just don't get London Calling.

I'm slightly disappointed that no RHCP made the list - I'm thinking mainly BloodSugarSexMagik or Californication here. But RHCP aren't all that popular here, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Also a little disappointed at the total lack of any Elton John or Billy Joel from the top 100. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, The Stranger anyone?

But overall I like the list a lot. Most of the records on it deserve to be there, even if I don't agree with some picks or with the order.

And, contrary to the the quasi-backlash against 'classic' artists this list has brought about, I think the Beatles and Zeppelin deserved every slot they got.

Great job El-Mel.