Interference needs to appreciate Nuno Bettencourt!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
...the amazing guitarist of early 90's band Extreme. Forget More Than Words or Hole Hearted, this is where his prowess shines through:

My favorite:
YouTube - Extreme - Rest in peace

I'm sure many people remember this one! Embedding is disabled here so you'll have to go to the youtube site to view:
YouTube - Extreme - Decadence Dance: MTV Version, Relaid Audio

and the lightning fast early hit
YouTube - Extreme - Play With Me (Studio Version)

Apparently he has solo material too but I'm not familiar with it. Any fans here?

Also, I learned that they have a new album out this year called Saudades de Rock. Anybody given it a listen?

Here's another interesting video for fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQAKzHKEzoc

I honestly had no idea who Nuno Bettencourt was. Now that I know he was with Extreme, I'll walk out quietly.

didn't he play Jesus in a revival of Jesus Christ, Superstar some years ago? if so, he gets my thumbs up. That ain't no easy shakes of a role, singing-wise.

Edit: oh, duh he's the guitarist. Guess he wouldn't be singing anything on Broadway.

I will admit to having Hole Hearted on my iPod. I like that part. I'm a sucker for nice harmonies.

I'll pass on More Than Words, though. I never got over being incredibly sick of it.

I have no comment on his guitar prowess.

Don't give me that look. You can't make me forget about the only two songs of theirs that I know. ;)

I have to admit I enjoy Hole Hearted... a lot more than More Than Words! But those songs are just not where Nuno shines.

I honestly had no idea who Nuno Bettencourt was. Now that I know he was with Extreme, I'll walk out quietly.

Whatever you may feel about the band as a whole, you cannot deny his ability with the guitar!

Gary Cherone! He was the one who did Jesus Christ Superstar, right? And then went and joined Journey, or some other 80s band in need of a new singer? yes?

Extreme had talent, great guitar player, good singer, and decent writing skills; the problem is they had little to no identity outside of 'More Than Words'. They were at that brink when hair metal was being killed off by grunge, they were too serious for hair metal but too light for grunge, and their biggest hit didn't really fit their overall catalog...

Gary Cherone! He was the one who did Jesus Christ Superstar, right? And then went and joined Journey, or some other 80s band in need of a new singer? yes?

He joined Van Halen for one album, but I think you're thinking about Sebastion Bach who did Jesus Christ Superstar...

Oh shit! How could I forget Get The Funk Out?!! One of his best solos there! Good call, Reg.

Gary Cherones g*****s supercedes Nuno's chops

Gary Cherone's what??

Extreme had talent, great guitar player, good singer, and decent writing skills; the problem is they had little to no identity outside of 'More Than Words'. They were at that brink when hair metal was being killed off by grunge, they were too serious for hair metal but too light for grunge, and their biggest hit didn't really fit their overall catalog...

Agreed. More Than Words or Hole Hearted are really not representative of what this band was capable of! As always, the fucking ballads ruin it in the end! And yeah, they were caught in an unfortunate time with the grunge scene. But still, I wouldn't classify Extreme as hair metal. They are slightly better. :wink:

He joined Van Halen for one album, but I think you're thinking about Sebastion Bach who did Jesus Christ Superstar...

:hmm: Is it sad that I know that Sebastian Bach did Jekyll & Hyde on Broadway? I'll have to see who it was in JC Superstar.

Edit: I like being right.

Between these two releases, however, Cherone established himself somewhat as a performer in his own right by earning favorable critical notices for his portryal of Jesus in a 1994 production of Jesus Christ Superstar.

http://www.nndb.com/people/391/000079154/

Agreed. More Than Words or Hole Hearted are really not representative of what this band was capable of! As always, the fucking ballads ruin it in the end!

Hey, that's what happens when you record them in order to get radio play. ;)

Sadly, I knew Cherone was in Van Halen AND JCS before reading all this.

My friend in high school was a big cheese metal fan, and I was subjected to a lot of it. Extreme isn't on the awful level of Skid Row, Warrant, or Mr. Big, but I never got into them.

I was a music store manager in Massachusetts way back when, and Extreme came to do an in-store appearance to promote one of their albums. This was in 1994 (I think) when they were losing their popularity. I recall the album bombed.

They were nice guys, though.

My friend in high school was a big cheese metal fan, and I was subjected to a lot of it. Extreme isn't on the awful level of Skid Row, Warrant, or Mr. Big, but I never got into them.

Wow, even though Sebastian Bach is a total douche, Skid Row was actually a very competent band...I mean Warrant, Winger totally sucked, but Skid Row (and even Mr. Big) was fairly decent...:|

Extreme...I dunno...Cherone was too 'fancy pants' for me to get into...:shrug:

:hmm: Is it sad that I know that Sebastian Bach did Jekyll & Hyde on Broadway? I'll have to see who it was in JC Superstar.

Edit: I like being right.

Between these two releases, however, Cherone established himself somewhat as a performer in his own right by earning favorable critical notices for his portryal of Jesus in a 1994 production of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Gary Cherone

I didn't know Gary did the role as well... interesting.

But Sebastian did play the role for a short stint...

In early 2002, he became the host of VH1's Forever Wild. In October that same year, Sebastian was signed to perform in the national touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar and played the title role of Jesus until April 2003 alongside Superstar veteran Carl Anderson, when he was fired for alleged diva-like behavior. He has said if he ever did the show again, he would like to try the role of Judas Iscariot next time. A DVD video of live performances called Forever Wild was released in June 2004. That same year, he went on another tour of Jekyll and Hyde, reprising the title role(s).
Sebastian Bach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does anyone remember the Freddie Mercury tribute concert from 1992? Extreme had one of the strongest performances that night, and did a phenomenal job with their Queen medley.

Sebastian Bach/Skid Row were kind of cheesy, but to this day I still count I Remember You among my guilty pleasure favourites, and listen to it probably once a year. And I can't help but adore Bach a little for his role as Gil, the married rocker playing with much younger kids, on the final few seasons of Gilmore Girls.

Yeah, Sebastian Bach will always be Gil to me too. I thought he was awesome in the role. Lane's band storylines were some of my favorites on the show throughout the years. Zack and Brian were hilarious.

Hep Alien FTW.

I prefer Mr. Big to Poison.

although I only know like 2 songs by Mr. Big so I don't prefer them by much! :laugh:

But Sebastian did play the role for a short stint...

Alleged diva-like behavior! :lol: Nice.

Does anyone remember the Freddie Mercury tribute concert from 1992? Extreme had one of the strongest performances that night, and did a phenomenal job with their Queen medley.

I absolutely loved George Michael's set from that concert. And don't tell anyone, but I think his version of "Somebody to Love" tops the original. :shh:

I prefer Mr. Big to Poison.

The only song I know by Mr. Big is that cheesy "To Be With You" song, which I hate. As for Poison, I will admit to liking Talk Dirty to Me, which is on my iPod.

Sadly, I knew Cherone was in Van Halen AND JCS before reading all this.

Skid Row is actually pretty good. They had a punk type thing going on that those other hair bands lacked. I liked Skid Row cause they were less polished.

Every Rose Has Its Thorn is a great song, and transcends the shitty genre it comes from (as does its follow-up brother Something to Believe In). I'd also argue that Poison, despite their ridiculous look, logo, names (Rikki Rockett? LOL) etc. were less glam musically than the other bands of their ilk, more blues-based and old school rock and roll than they're given credit for. C.C. Deville (the one who tried to hide his wide girth in a trenchcoat) was a pretty awesome guitarist, and Bret Michaels has one of the least-annoying voices in glam rock.

As I said, a friend of mine in high school was into all the glam bands, and I had to listen to the stuff all the time in his car. The only music I actually own from that period (besides Guns 'n Roses, who I don't consider part of the genre anyway) are two Poison albums, Flesh & Blood and the double-live album (okay, it's called "Swallow This", whatever), which from looking at the notch on the side was a promo because I don't remember buying it.

But yeah, pretty underrated stuff, and much more palatable to listen to as opposed to hearing it while watching their neon-green videos.

I defy you to not be impressed by this instrumental from Flesh and Blood (a very, very good album):

YouTube - Poison - Swampjuice (Soul - O)

You know this sounds EXACTLY like a Zeppelin outtake, so don't try to deny it.

On Arsenio:

YouTube - Poison - Something To Believe In live 1990

I absolutely loved George Michael's set from that concert. And don't tell anyone, but I think his version of "Somebody to Love" tops the original. :shh:

It's okay to tell me... cos I agree with you! I think he has one of the best voices in pop music.

I'd like to take back my statement earlier about Mr. Big vs. Poison. I do enjoy a couple of songs by both bands and don't know much else to make that comparison! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom