Interference B&C All-Decade Space Moon Awards Nomination Ballot - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #16
The Male

Local Time: 06:26 AM
No band that releases songs like Invincible and United States of Eurasia is an embodiment of excellence IMO.

I can name a number of bands that released two truly special albums (like Muse with Origin of Symmetry and Absolution), but three is a bit harder to find. Spoon released the epic Girls Can Tell/Kill The Moonlight/Gimme Fiction/GaGaGaGaGa quadrilogy, however, so I'd give them the top spot. The Shins haven't released a bad album yet this decade either. Radiohead has been a bit more inconsistent this decade, but when they hit it, they hit that shit rite, so there's three. Not sure about four and five, maybe White Stripes and Porcupine Tree.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
No band that releases songs like Invincible and United States of Eurasia is an embodiment of excellence IMO.

I can name a number of bands that released two truly special albums (like Muse with Origin of Symmetry and Absolution), but three is a bit harder to find. Spoon released the epic Girls Can Tell/Kill The Moonlight/Gimme Fiction/GaGaGaGaGa quadrilogy, however, so I'd give them the top spot. The Shins haven't released a bad album yet this decade either. Radiohead has been a bit more inconsistent this decade, but when they hit it, they hit that shit rite, so there's three. Not sure about four and five, maybe White Stripes and Porcupine Tree.
Okkervil River has put out at least three stellar albums this decade as well: Down the River of Golden Dreams, Black Sheep Boy, and The Stage Names.

It's interesting to see how few bands have consistently excellent output for an entire decade.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
War Child

Why don't we all just do a top 10 (or 25) albums of the decade list (without regards to genre) and give the#1 album on each ballot 10 points, each #2, 9 points, etc.? Tally all the ballots and you will have the Interference Top 10 albums of the Decade. Someone would have to be foolish enough to tally it up, though.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:26 AM
LOL @ including names like The Shins, Spoon, and Okkervil River up with SFA (Rings Around the World, Phantom Power, Love Kraft, Hey Venus!, and Dark Days/Light Years in ONE DECADE!!!). Not trying at all to rag on y'all's taste, as you guys are people whose opinions I respect, if not necessarily share, but come on. I have to cry foul, here. I just have to. Five albums of that quality being released doesn't EVER happen. But it did.

Not to mention their success on the pop charts (top 10 albums and singles, both, not to mention a Welsh-language record self-released by the band across multiple formats...which peaked at #11, sold briskly in the States, and was later recognized by Parliament), success with both major and indie labels, equal success in Europe and places like Japan and Brazil, the invention of 5.1 audio for album releases, surround-sound concerts, the first DVD album ever released, animated concerts which pre-dated The Gorillaz by almost a year, Sasquatches galore...the list goes on and puts any band of which I can think to shame. Even my favorites.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
The Male

I don't think all that highly of Love Kraft and Hey Venus, which is why I personally didn't name SFA. Mwng, Rings Around The World, and DD/LY are stellar, of course.

Now.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Like I said, we can just do the five general field categories if that's more to you guys' liking. Like, this would be the whole ballot:

General Field

Best New Artist
Description: This award is for best artist who 'broke through' this decade and have proven, over the course of a decade, to be the best . It can go to a solo artist or group, it doesn't matter. The artists you list here do NOT necessarily have to have started releasing music on or after January 1, 2000. If an artist started releasing stuff in the mid-late 90s but nobody knew who they were until the early part of this decade when they broke through, that's perfectly fine.

Single Of The Decade
Description: This award is for the best single of the decade, where the single is any song that was a single(as opposed to a commercial single release with b-sides, remixes, etc). This award is for the single that did best combined high musical quality with doing the best job promoting the artist/album to which it was attached. In other words, huge hits that were terrible songs probably shouldn't be nominated, likewise with great songs that weren't hits at all.

Song Of The Decade
Description: Commercial success is no factor whatsoever. Just the best song of the decade.

Album Of The Decade

Artist Of The Decade
Description: This award is for an artist who has produced a body of work at a sustained level of overall excellence over the course of a decade. Critical and commercial success should be taken into consideration, with more weight given to critical success(commercial success doesn't have to be huge, there just has to be some modicum of it - even a good handful of indie bands have made it to SNL). The key thing here is that an artist can't win this award for one great song or one great album, only for a body of work over the course of a decade.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:26 AM
^ Yup, I prefer this system over the previous one...
Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
The Male

Yeah, if you want to go through the effort of tallying it all up, this will do.

Now.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I saw this fell to the second page, is it still happening?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #25
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:26 AM
I'd rather everyone post individual lists that maybe go into more detail than just having a compiled list.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes, it's still happening, with the just the General Field categories. I've received only one ballot so far. Let's give it a few more days.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

I have grand ambitions of trying to come up with favorite music of the decade, but there's so much of it, it's a bit overwhelming to think about.