Intereference Top 50 Artists...of all time (or something)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Yeah, let's just do this thing, it should be fun and a great way to see who's into what, and maybe find out about some bands you've missed out on.

So, create a list of your 25 favorite artists (bands or solo) and send it to me at bono_212@hotmail.com .

I'll keep this open for about a week, we'll see how many responses we have at the end.

Again, perhaps the top few bands are going to be a bit predictable, but otherwise, I think this could be fun.

Sorry, I really suck, I made the post on my way out, and I should've just waited til I got home.

Yes, please rank these artists, as each one will be assigned points. Let me get back to you as to how exactly that works.

Also, as I was out and about it occurred to me that the solo artist/original band thing could potentially be a thing, I'd rather bands like Tom Petty vs. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers be just with the band, or with the Steen vs. The Steen & The E Street Band would just be Springsteen solo. Pretty much the more significant variation.

Man, me having Taylor ranked #1 is really going to skew this thing when we only get like seven entries.

For something this simple, I think we'll get a decent turn out.

'Cuz if we don't....

Justice.png

I'm debating whether to come up with a list or to basically just use my last.fm rankings from the past year. Probably going with the last.fm stuff, as that'll be most accurate and representative of my recent tastes.

This means there could be a list without U2 on it. :ohmy:

If I were to use my last.fm it wouldn't be indicative in the slightest past #15. All those Fall Out Boy plays from back in the day have truly skewed the results there.

I'm debating whether to come up with a list or to basically just use my last.fm rankings from the past year. Probably going with the last.fm stuff, as that'll be most accurate and representative of my recent tastes.

This means there could be a list without U2 on it. :ohmy:

I don't think that 12 months of listening can represent my overall tastes. If for no other reason than U2 would not be top 25 for me over the past year......but, clearly, they're my favorite band of all-time.....and so even if I've listened to more Doves or Elbow or Fleet Foxes or what have you over the past 12 months, there's no way that I actually prefer those bands to U2 in the grand scheme of things. I can think of a few other artists I truly love who just have not gotten a lot of airplay in my life this last year.

That's just me, though. I can see how using something like last.fm could offer up a true list for people.

If I were to use my last.fm it wouldn't be indicative in the slightest past #15. All those Fall Out Boy plays from back in the day have truly skewed the results there.

Your last 12 months list doesn't include Fall Out Boy. Overall, yes. Last 12 months, no. Yes, I am a creeper.

I don't think that 12 months of listening can represent my overall tastes. If for no other reason than U2 would not be top 25 for me over the past year......but, clearly, they're my favorite band of all-time.....and so even if I've listened to more Doves or Elbow or Fleet Foxes or what have you over the past 12 months, there's no way that I actually prefer those bands to U2 in the grand scheme of things. I can think of a few other artists I truly love who just have not gotten a lot of airplay in my life this last year.

That's just me, though. I can see how using something like last.fm could offer up a true list for people.

That's a fair point. The thing is that my tastes change so frequently and almost completely—chameleon-like—that I have to use something like last.fm to help with these lists. With nearly 90,000 plays in the last 4 years, I figure it's probably fairly accurate. Though, yeah, with bands like U2, it becomes complicated because: 1. Do I opt for nostalgic feelings for U2? or 2. Do I opt for what I've actually listened to somewhat recently, in which case, U2 would be left out?

What will probably end up happening is that I'll use the last.fm stuff as a jumping off point, removing bands/artists that seem a bit ridiculous to place in a top 25 at this point in their careers, and then replacing them with others. But, who the fuck knows, it'll be a surprise. And you'll all like it that way.

Your last 12 months list doesn't include Fall Out Boy. Overall, yes. Last 12 months, no. Yes, I am a creeper.

That's a fair point. The thing is that my tastes change so frequently and almost completely—chameleon-like—that I have to use something like last.fm to help with these lists. With nearly 90,000 plays in the last 4 years, I figure it's probably fairly accurate. Though, yeah, with bands like U2, it becomes complicated because: 1. Do I opt for nostalgic feelings for U2? or 2. Do I opt for what I've actually listened to somewhat recently, in which case, U2 would be left out?

What will probably end up happening is that I'll use the last.fm stuff as a jumping off point, removing bands/artists that seem a bit ridiculous to place in a top 25 at this point in their careers, and then replacing them with others. But, who the fuck knows, it'll be a surprise. And you'll all like it that way.

Well, the list is top 50 of all-time, so that needs to be taken into account when compiling your list, if we're honoring the point of the thread.

My list is going to be highly predictable, but, so be it.

What will probably end up happening is that I'll use the last.fm stuff as a jumping off point, removing bands/artists that seem a bit ridiculous to place in a top 25 at this point in their careers, and then replacing them with others.

That's my plan.

I think it's a safe bet to expect U2, Radiohead, REM, Springsteen, and The Beatles to be in the top 10, or even top 5, when all the results are tallied up from everyone's lists. I would say that you're all predictable, but 4 of those 5 will without a doubt be in my top 25, so I have no room to talk.

I feel like if enough of you guys go the last.fm route, there may be some undeserving indie artists who weren't even around ten years ago that end up making the top 25 artists of all time. I think the top 25 of all time should reflect longevity as well as quality, and I feel like that might be lost with the last.fm route.

I feel like if enough of you guys go the last.fm route, there may be some undeserving indie artists who weren't even around ten years ago that end up making the top 25 artists of all time. I think the top 25 of all time should reflect longevity as well as quality, and I feel like that might be lost with the last.fm route.

It's all about what people like, I don't see any problem if artists that many people here like end up on the list just because they've only been making music for the last 10 years.

It's all about what people like, I don't see any problem if artists that many people here like end up on the list just because they've only been making music for the last 10 years.

Yeah, I agree. While I don't think taking a look at what you've listened to for the past year wholly suffices, at least not for me, if I want to include Elbow in this list, I'm gonna. This is an interference list, not a list designed to mimic what we might get if we polled everyone.

And it is Top 50, yes, not Top 25?

Well, that was another question I had- what exactly is the criteria here? If this is 'Interference's Favorite 25 Artists Of All Time', then that's fine, but if this is supposed to be even a semi-objective list based on some other criteria - influence, sales, most enduring music, whatever - then I'm not sure I agree that an artist that's only been around for 10 years or less should be there. For example, if it's our favorite 25 artists of all time, Muse might make my list, because I think they're incredible, but they haven't been around for that long, so if it's another set of criteria, they may not make it.

Yeah, I agree. While I don't think taking a look at what you've listened to for the past year wholly suffices, at least not for me, if I want to include Elbow in this list, I'm gonna. This is an interference list, not a list designed to mimic what we might get if we polled everyone.

And it is Top 50, yes, not Top 25?

We were supposed to provide 25, and Bonoz2 2012 was going to compile the 50 I think.

Everything is subjective and based off of personal preference. There's no such thing as "best", it would seem ridiculous for anyone to even attempt to provide a list like that.

Well, the list is top 50 of all-time, so that needs to be taken into account when compiling your list, if we're honoring the point of the thread.

My list is going to be highly predictable, but, so be it.

Hence the removal and replacement of some artists, fool.

Last time we did this with albums, it was based on your favorite, nothing else. I assume this is the same deal, and it should be, in my opinion, as there are enough other "best artists of all-time" lists out there to represent sales numbers, longevity, etc.

Also, who's to say that those indie artists are "undeserving" of the honor? Just because a band/artist is new or recent or whatever doesn't mean they should be counted out...that's how we end up with lists that look like:

1. U2
2. The Beatles
3. Springsteen

and on and on...

Throwing some of those "undeserving" artists on lists could shake things up a bit and add some flavor to the rankings. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom