Impy's Annual Best-of-the-Year Point Distribution Tally Nonsense - Please Participate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Rainbows is last year.

I purchased my copy on 27th or 28th of Dec.

If your copy says 2008, it's a misprint.

In Rainbows is last year.

I purchased my copy on 27th or 28th of Dec.

If your copy says 2008, it's a misprint.

sigh...

In Rainbows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Rainbows is the seventh album by the English alternative rock band Radiohead. It was first released on 10 October 2007 as a digital download, followed by a standard CD release in most countries during the last week of 2007. The album was released in North America on 1 January 2008.

Yeah, it's not a misprint. That is when the regular CD issue came out here.

However, it's considered a 2007 release because it was available everywhere digitally at that time. I think you need to go by the first release.

My list is so half-assed already ... you can consider it officially removed.

Poof! It's gone. :)

If an album was released in 2008, it was released in 2008. Even if it was also released in 2007. Some groups can claim this, like Bon Iver and Delta Spirit. But Radiohead can't really claim it honestly, since In Rainbows was the download heard round the world.

The difference with an artist like Bon Iver was that it was a small, unknown, independent release in 2007, and not a widespread official release, so I would consider that different. It would be part of 2008.

But In Rainbows is, for all intents and purposes, a 2007 release.

But surely that's only because of that typical delay the yanks always have with album releases. Travis' most recent album was released in AmericA a whopping 5 weeks after it was released almost everywhere else. Don't know why this delay always happens, but it does.

With Radiohead being a pommy band and all, the official year of the release of In Rainbows should be and has to be recognised as 2007.

In the words of Morrissey, "America Is Not The World"...

The difference with an artist like Bon Iver was that it was a small, unknown, independent release in 2007, and not a widespread official release, so I would consider that different. It would be part of 2008.

But In Rainbows is, for all intents and purposes, a 2007 release.

I'd agree with this, but would that make MGMT's album an '08 release as well?

I know I hadn't even heard of them until this year and was surprised that Oracular Spectacular "came out" last year.

Top five:

1. Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow
2. Vampire Weekend - Self titled
3. Seeing in Ghost Colours - Cut Copy
4. Ghosts I - IV - NIN
5. The Slip - NIN

Best of

1 Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer (9.2)
2 The Verve - Forth (8.8)
3 Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (8.7)
4 Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (8.6)
5 The Dresden Dolls - No, Virginia... (8.2)
6 Coldplay - Viva La Vida (8.1)

Other good albums

7 The Killers - Day & Age (7.2)
8 Anti-Flag - The Bright Lights of America (7.1)
9 Gary Moore - Bad for You Baby (6.9)
10 Coldplay - Prospekt's March (6.9)
11 Vermillion Lies - What's In The Box? (6.8)

And everything else

12 Razorlight - Slipway Fires (6.6)
13 Kaiser Chiefs - Off With Their Heads (5.7)
14 R.E.M. - Accelerate (5.0)
15 The Charlatans - You Cross My Path (5.0)
16 The Cure - 4:13 Dream (4.8)
17 Nine Inch Nails - The Slip (4.7)
18 Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy (3.6)

You know what pisses me off about end of year lists? It just makes me realise there is still a load of good music I haven't heard off, it's depressing and a good thing at the same time.

Sometimes, as people get older, their memories become weaker. Often, they have a hard time remembering what year they're currently living in.

Cori, I know this may be hard to believe, but this album did NOT come out this year:

GLENN%20MILLER-35CD8.jpg

oh come on...everybody knows bing crosby was the shiznit this year

Back
Top Bottom