Impy's Annual Best-of-the-Year Point Distribution Tally Nonsense - Please Participate - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Also, are we going to do the points thing again this year? I think impy ran it last time.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Has anyone else checked out pitchfork's top 50 list? Its really hard to take them seriously when they are this self-congratulatory.

The 50 Best Albums of 2008 | Pitchfork

Old 12-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #153
Blue Crack Supplier

you don't like reading threads, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
The first half of Pitchfork's top 50 albums is up, 50 to 25. 25 to 1 will be online tomorrow.

The 50 Best Albums of 2008 | Pitchfork
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
The rest of the list is up. At least the top 9 is solid.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Thanks Elfa. I actually can't read. That's why I post so many pictures. Dick.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:15 PM
LoL at Pitchfork's "Let's try and be as obscure as possible" Top 50 and effort to throw in as many artists as possible who call themselves "Fuck" this and "Fuck" that. How bold!

Even the honorable mentions was full of no-namers, almost as if they made a concerted effort to avoid your Coldplay's, Kaiser's and Verve's.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #156
The Male

Local Time: 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
LoL at Pitchfork's "Let's try and be as obscure as possible" Top 50 and effort to throw in as many artists as possible who call themselves "Fuck" this and "Fuck" that. How bold!

Even the honorable mentions was full of no-namers, almost as if they made a concerted effort to avoid your Coldplay's, Kaiser's and Verve's.
The Kaiser Chiefs are terrible in general. Viva La Vida was nice but derivative. The Verve's record was really solid but hardly their best work.

Fleet Foxes and TV On The Radio are hardly no-namers. I mean, come on, they've performed on Letterman.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Or maybe they just have a more diverse and acute range of taste than you do.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #158
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Or maybe they just have a more diverse and acute range of taste than you do.
No.
That's the whole thing about Pitchfork, they have that style. They usually tend to favor more obscure, lesser known acts. You can see that when you look at its reviews. (I'm not sayin they will make a good review from an album cause it's from an lesser known band, but they tend to favor them, especially in those end-of-the-year lists.)

But yeah, they chose a famous artist to support, and that's Radiohead.

I read Pitchfork reviews usually, but there's times when the reviewr says so much crap, that I can't even finish reading (The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka, for example....and I don't even like this band. But the review is ridiculous.)
Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #159
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:15 AM
I don't have much beef with pitchfork, helps me find out about good small bands. Doesn't stop me liking the big ones either...but i've never liked Coldplay, and to be honest I can't think of a major album release that I like over these smaller bands. The Killers I enjoy and have liked since I was 16 but I wouldn't rank their album in my top 30. I like it but don't love it. Nick Cave is hardly a small act either, Dig Lazarus Dig placed well as did Kanye West. Lil Waynes popularity with Pitchfork I will never get, but anyway I prefer Pitchforks lists to any of the big publications end of year lists.

Don't always think their reviewers are the best or the most literate...but I do tend to find when they really like something it is usually genuinely decent. I often contrast reviews with another favourite reviewer of mine anyway before I check out so to speak.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #160
Blue Crack Supplier

It's an indie music website! Of course they favor smaller, obscure bands! But the point is that they aren't championing a bunch of shit over good music. Now granted everyone's not going to like every album on their list, but as it's made up of selections from their editorial/review group it probably represents a diverse assortment of taste under the umbrella of what they cover.

You want to see love for U2, Coldplay, Oasis, The Verve, whatever, go read Rolling Stone's website, where they kiss ass and give a positive, 3-stars or more review to almost every veteran act.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:35 AM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Fleet Foxes is stunningly good. Lovely album.

A part of me hates agreeing with Pitchfork, but it may just be my #1 of 2008 as well.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 AM   #162
Refugee

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava79 View Post
Keane - Perfect Symmetry
Sigur Rós - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust
Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke
Emiliana Torrini - Me and Armini
The Killers - Day & Age
Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
How could I forget Lykke Li's Youth Novels from this list? Shame on me.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Fleet Foxes is stunningly good. Lovely album.

A part of me hates agreeing with Pitchfork, but it may just be my #1 of 2008 as well.
If I had cheated like Pitchfork and included the Sun Giant EP as part of the album when rating it, I would've ranked it higher on my own list.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
It's an indie music website! Of course they favor smaller, obscure bands! .
Well if Indie is their forte, why do they insist on reviewing Coldplay and Killers and co....just so that they can regurgitate anti-mainstream, tried, tested and failed anti-Chris Martin and anti-Noel Gallagher rants...
Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #165
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:15 AM
Quote:
It's an indie music website! Of course they favor smaller, obscure bands! But the point is that they aren't championing a bunch of shit over good music. Now granted everyone's not going to like every album on their list, but as it's made up of selections from their editorial/review group it probably represents a diverse assortment of taste under the umbrella of what they cover.

You want to see love for U2, Coldplay, Oasis, The Verve, whatever, go read Rolling Stone's website, where they kiss ass and give a positive, 3-stars or more review to almost every veteran act.
No, I don't need to see any love for those bands, I know what I like and what I don't and don't really care for the opinion of a reviewer after I started like the band. Reviews are made to make me discover new stuff, and I even admit that Pitchork is quite useful to do that. But I think they favor maybe a little much those obscure bands.

Quote:
Well if Indie is their forte, why do they insist on reviewing Coldplay and Killers and co....just so that they can regurgitate anti-mainstream, tried, tested and failed anti-Chris Martin and anti-Noel Gallagher rants...
That's almost my point, they have no reason to review those bands...they don't need Pitchfork, and Pitchfork doesn't need them.
The other one is....the extremly stupid reviews that show up from time to time on Pitchfork and that make me angry....a lot

Tags
best of 2008