I'm starting a thread about the Barenaked Ladies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
yes. yes i am.

still one of my favorite bands. and there wasn't a thread in the band index...apparently i haven't done this before (resisting lame joke about things all being done before :wink: ), or if i did - which i think i did - it was so long ago that it didn't make it into the list.

my predictions for this thread:
-some canadians will say that they a) liked them before they were big or b) have always hated them
-fah will show up
-people will post that they liked songs x, y, z, b, c, but not d, or e and they forgot about them after the one week hype died out.

...i've only liked them since around when one week came out (before then i hated them. i thought brian wilson was a stupid song, and grade 9 annoyed me as did the rest of the gordon album. i soon saw the error in my ways). they were the first concert i went to. i was 14. it was awesome, and still one of the best shows i've ever been to.

i listened to "hello city" this morning (and subsequently the rest of the album, and i plan to move on to maybe you should drive next). that's what brought this on.

:up:

I enjoy BNL. I'm not a huge fan by any means, but I do enjoy them. I saw them in concert...hmmm...5 years ago? Maybe 6?? They put on a great, fun live show. I was hoping to catch them last winter when they were touring with their holiday CD, which is thoroughly enjoyable. I'm not a fan of Christmas/holiday music, but their CD will be one of 3 that I have in rotation Christmas week (gotta love The Chieftans' Bells of Dublin! The other is a rather enjoyable CD of holiday music from various Broadway performers).

But yeah...I don't have a ton of their CDs, but I keep an eye peeled for them to be touring around. I'd definitely catch them again if they came to NYC and the price was right.

I have the Greatest Hits album, and considering I'd not be embarassed to play it, they're still good. Definitely have a knack for writing catchy pop numbers.

I first heard them in 1996 from a friend from Michigan-have loved them since then. I will always remember getting ready to go dancing in my dorm to "If I had a Million Dollars". They are a fun band that whenever I am in a bad mood I put on their albums.
Not ashamed to say I think I have them all:wink:

:up: I think they are a great live band. Their songs seem to take on a new life in a live setting. Sort of like another band (that I wont mention since IWB started the thread :laugh: ) Plus BNL adds humor to their concerts. Its a good mix and makes for a great time. I like that some of their songs can be light hearted and some of them can have a serious tone.

I will make IWB's prediction a reality and say that my favorite songs by them are "Aluminum", "Powder Blue" and "A".

Oh, top ten BNL tracks alert! Sorry - I love me some BNL goodness!

1. Unfinished
2. Falling For The First Time
3. Get In Line
4. Told You So
5. What A Good Boy
6. You Will Be Waiting
7. Lovers In A Dangerous Time
8. Aluminum
9. Elf's Lament :)
10. Off The Hook

Seriously - I probably listen to BNL every day - and more often than not it's 'Maybe You Should Drive' or 'E2E' thats gets a spin.

BNL were my first favorite band and continue to be one of my favorites. They were my first concert in the summer of '99 and I just saw them in Chicago about two weeks ago. As previously mentioned in this thread, their live shows are terrific and along with great performances, they add an element of humor into their set that can't be matched. I hate how many people disregard BNL as that band that had that one rapping hit about chinese chicken because their lyrics, especially on Born on a Pirate Ship and Maroon are brilliant.

My top ten
1. Off The Hook
2. Blame It On Me
3. In The Car
4. Call And Answer
5. Break Your Heart
6. What A Good Boy
7. A
8. The Flag
9. Alcohol
10. Lovers In A Dangerous Time

:up: BNL

Hmm, they seem to be a band that does polarise listeners. I think you either give yourself away to the general poppiness of teh BNL experience, or harden against it very quickly. It seems the latter has happened as their sales are diabolical these days - while the quality of their music is ever improving.

I think you'll find the die-hard 'Gordon' era fans rarely concede that they have done anything worthwhile since 1997. Frankly, I came into BNL around the 'Born On The Pirate Ship' days, and just cant get into 'Gordon'. "maybe..' is by far my favourite BNL album though.

I think maybe we should also list our least favourite BNL songs - that should perk up the conversations!

My worst 5 BNL moments are -

1. Brian Wilson (just overkilled)
2. Another Postcard (why? Steve! Ed! You can do better!!)
3. Sell Sell Sell
4. Box Set
5. Tiny Little Song (most of Jim's BNL stuff - yet the Brothers Creegan CDs are cool)

hmm. Oh well, no band has a 100% hit rate.

I have just returned from a Barenaked Ladies concert :hyper: :dance:

Actually, it was my second BNL show in two days :D

On Thursday night I went to a private fan club performance and tonight I went to see them at the Orpheum theatre. Both shows were fantastic.

Last month I received an email inviting me to enter a contest to win admission to a private acoustic performance by BNL. I had to answer 8 skill testing questions about the band correctly and they my name would be entered to win ~ I answered them correctly and won ~ thanks IWB.

I arrived at the SYNC (Nettwerk office) at 5:30 pm for admission to the 6 pm show. All 125 of us were let in just prior to 6 pm and the show started promptly in the lobby of Nettwerk. I was three people back from the stage and about 2 metres away. The band actually came in next to where I was standing ~ they were that close. They spent the next 75 minutes singing, talking and taking requests from the crowd. Among the requests were: Aluminum, Roadrunner and Baby Seat. It was best thing I ever could have won.

Tonight's show at the Orpheum was electric and they played for just over two hours. Again, lots of singing, talking, rapping and just being the goofs they are. When the curtain went up we were greated with a Christmas tree with presents underneath, a fireplace complete with a burning log and named stockings: Tyler, Steven, Jim, Ed and Kevin.

The BNL portion of the show started with a children's choir. BNL joined them after 3 songs and performed with them ~ so cute. The holidays songs included: Jingle Bells, Green Christmas, Feliz Navidad (Tyler singing), Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah, I Have A Little Dreidel and Silent Night (Steven's voice couldn't hit an extreme note ~ it was pretty funny).

Sarah McLachlan joined the band onstage for God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. She looked cute in her Santa cute. She came back later with her husband Ashwin Sood and they performed another song with the band too.

BNL played most of their major hits too: One Week, Pinch Me (complete with pair of large green underwear being thrown onstage), Alcohol, Jane, Call And Answer, If I Had A Million Dollars (someone threw a couple of small stuffed animals onto the stage and Steven chose to stick one of them down his pants with something sticking out), Brian Wilson and One Week.

I could go on and on and on....

Oh, how I love this band :heart:

fah said:
I have just returned from a Barenaked Ladies concert :hyper: :dance:

Actually, it was my second BNL show in two days :D

On Thursday night I went to a private fan club performance and tonight I went to see them at the Orpheum theatre. Both shows were fantastic.

Last month I received an email inviting me to enter a contest to win admission to a private acoustic performance by BNL. I had to answer 8 skill testing questions about the band correctly and they my name would be entered to win ~ I answered them correctly and won ~ thanks IWB.

I arrived at the SYNC (Nettwerk office) at 5:30 pm for admission to the 6 pm show. All 125 of us were let in just prior to 6 pm and the show started promptly in the lobby of Nettwerk. I was three people back from the stage and about 2 metres away. The band actually came in next to where I was standing ~ they were that close. They spent the next 75 minutes singing, talking and taking requests from the crowd. Among the requests were: Aluminum, Roadrunner and Baby Seat. It was best thing I ever could have won.

Tonight's show at the Orpheum was electric and they played for just over two hours. Again, lots of singing, talking, rapping and just being the goofs they are. When the curtain went up we were greated with a Christmas tree with presents underneath, a fireplace complete with a burning log and named stockings: Tyler, Steven, Jim, Ed and Kevin.

The BNL portion of the show started with a children's choir. BNL joined them after 3 songs and performed with them ~ so cute. The holidays songs included: Jingle Bells, Green Christmas, Feliz Navidad (Tyler singing), Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah, I Have A Little Dreidel and Silent Night (Steven's voice couldn't hit an extreme note ~ it was pretty funny).

Sarah McLachlan joined the band onstage for God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. She looked cute in her Santa cute. She came back later with her husband Ashwin Sood and they performed another song with the band too.

BNL played most of their major hits too: One Week, Pinch Me (complete with pair of large green underwear being thrown onstage), Alcohol, Jane, Call And Answer, If I Had A Million Dollars (someone threw a couple of small stuffed animals onto the stage and Steven chose to stick one of them down his pants with something sticking out), Brian Wilson and One Week.

I could go on and on and on....

Oh, how I love this band :heart:

:applaud:

i still haven't heard the christmas album :grumpy:

And one more cool thing about this band...

On Friday night Tyler Stewart and Ed Robertson were in the aisles of the Orpheum, prior to the show, talking to fans, signing autographs and having pics taken...

I was on the balcony and couldn't get downstairs in time but it was fun watching them.

~love this band~

:heart:

My top ten BNL or maybe top five we'll see how this goes, just cause I love them so (also haven't heard the Christmas album :sad:)

10) Another Postcard
9) Brian Wilson
8) One Week
7) It's All Been Done
6) The Humor of the Situation
5)
4) Pinch Me
3) Falling for the First Time
2) Too Little Too Late
1) Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel

yeah I know 1 is a crazy choice :wink:

Could not stand them....

Although I kinda agreed with the sentiment in the song "It's All Been Done"

i probably would have cried. i hate that song, there are very few things (songs in particular) that make me cry :mad:

that song's jsut so creepy cause it sounds happy, but it's such a sad little story.

btw...who's your display picture? I know I recognize it.

It's true...I just checked the site:

Live With Regis & Kelly
BNL will be stopping by to chat with Regis & Kelly and perform a few songs. Tune in Dec 23rd to ABC, 9AM ET/PT!

It's nice of them to show up on my birthday ~ isn't it :D

Back
Top Bottom