I'm not very indietastic. What albums should I pick up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh boy.

A is for Andrew Bird. Get The Mysterious Production of Eggs. - Fuck you - get Armchair Apocrypha
B is for Broken Social Scene. Get You Forgot it in People. - or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - I recommend Howl
C is for Cat Power. Get Moon Pix or You Are Free.
D is for Do Make Say Think. Get Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn. - d is for you're a douche. Get The Decemberists - Picaresque
E is for Explosions in the Sky. Get The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place. E is also for Elbow
F is for the Flaming Lips. Get The Soft Bulletin. (F is also for Feist. Get a boner.) - F is for fuck you - get Fleet Foxes
G is for Grizzly Bear. Get Yellow House.
I is for Iron & Wine. Get The Shepherd's Dog.
J is for Jack and Meg White. Get the White Stripes' De Stijl or Elephant. J is for anything by Joseph Arthur
K is for Kings of Leon. Get Aha Shake Heartbreak, their only good album. - K is for Kuck You - Only By the Night is fantastic
L is for LCD Soundsystem. Get Sound of Silver.
M is for Man Man, whose Rabbit Habits is one of the best and most underrated albums of the year. - M is for The Magic Numbers - check out their self titled debut
N is for the National. Get Alligator and Boxer. Fall in love. - The National is truly spectacular. I am listening to Fake Empire as I type this.
O is for Okkervil River. Get Black Sheep Boy and The Stage Names.
P is for Picaresque, an album by the Decemberists you should get (as well as Her Majesty). - Natch
Q is for the Queen Mary, who Wolf Parade apologized to in Apologies to the Queen Mary. Get it.
R is for Radiohead. Obviously. R is for Remy Zero (they're as indie as Radiohead) Get Villa Elaine
S is for Spoon. Get Kill the Moonlight and Gimme Fiction. This is true.
T is for TV on the Radio. Get the year's best album (Dear Science) and Return to Cookie Mountain. T is for Tom Waits because everyone should love Tom.
U is for unpopular U2 albums and tunes (they give you valuable indie cred!), but you know this already. - U2? Never heard of 'em. How about Uncle Tupelo.
V is for Vampire Weekend, who only have out a self-titled debut. It's just okay, but it's as indispensable an indie accessory as a v-neck from American Apparel.
W is for Wilco. Get it all.
Y is for the underrated Yo La Tengo. Get I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One.
Z is for Z, an excellent album by My Morning Jacket. Also get At Dawn and It Still Moves.

Yikes.

Ungh.

Sad Punk, I very much recommend you check out Montreal-based indie band Stars. Their last three albums are excellent, Heart, Set Yourself on Fire and In Your Bedroom After the War.

Also, check out Band of Horses—you won't be sorry. Everything All The Time and Cease To Begin are two fine albums. And, of course, check out The National, as well. I like Alligator and Boxer, equally.

Sad Punk, I very much recommend you check out Montreal-based indie band Stars. Their last three albums are excellent, Heart, Set Yourself on Fire and In Your Bedroom After the War.

I too like-a the Stars, but wouldn't you still say that Broken Social Scene should be checked out first though?

Hmmm, this has made me think of a BSS side projects piece of info to include in the "unpopular music opinions" thread.

Just get yourself into Travis and then your life is complete. You won't need to listen to another song again.

They were Indie, became massive and have now drifted into obscurity and released their last album on their own record label so are in a sense, Indie again.

I don't think that's possible. It's like calling Oasis "indie," at least in the US.

The idea of what is and isn't indie in North America vs. the rest of the world always is humorous to me.

Usually, if we have massive worldwide success, that kind of sheds the indie label for good. I could be wrong though, but I doubt it.

Thanks, you lot. Indiempy, I've listened to a bunch of that already, but you could still publish that as a book if LeMel did the illustrations.

Just get yourself into Travis and then your life is complete. You won't need to listen to another song again.

They were Indie, became massive and have now drifted into obscurity and released their last album on their own record label so are in a sense, Indie again.

Oh come on, mate.

zorn2.jpg

Damn, I feel more indietastic just from reading this thread.

For the record, I don't give much credence to labels such as indie. For me, music is all about what sounds good to my ear. If it's indie, great, if not, well, all that matters is that it sounds good.

I too like-a the Stars, but wouldn't you still say that Broken Social Scene should be checked out first though?

Hmmm, this has made me think of a BSS side projects piece of info to include in the "unpopular music opinions" thread.

I think the two bands are different in their own right, in spite of the fact that they share common members. I became a Stars fan way before I ever saw BSS live (which was in August, by the way).

But all music sounds better knowing that no one else has ever heard it before. It's called musical superiority, BoMac. Come on, now.

Haha...maybe for maverick musical elitists such as yourself. :wink: For me, it's all about the music, no matter if one person or 5 million people has heard it before me.

When you get past the sarcasm in the original post, you'll see that I agree 100% with you.

Back
Top Bottom