If you shout...'s 2008 List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This Johnny Foreigner is seriously the shit. Your description in comparison to Los Camp is pretty spot-on.

I also got the Fucked Up, although I have an instant lack of respect for any band that has profanity in their name.

Also going to check out The Ruby Suns, and the Cut Copy.

Very much agreed with the Ruby Suns > Panda Bear comparison. I wasn't really impressed with the latter considering all the hype I had read. But the newer album works for me.

Also digging Cut Copy so far.

I'm definitely going to buy JOFO next time I'm at the store. But here's a question. Is money from a used CD sale going to the artist, however indirectly? I mean, if I buy the last used copy, and someone later caves in and just buys it new, I guess it helps. But I rarely buy something new off the rack. It has to be an automatic buy, like the new Bruce, new U2, whatever. Which is a shame I guess because those guys don't need it. But to me, anything over $10 is a fucking ripoff.

The only store in which I've seen Johnny Foreigner (including Reckless) was in Japan. The reason that I've started buying more vinyl is because, to me, that sort of packaging actually is worth full-price. I'd buy more used CDs and records, but it just takes so much damned time, and you're never really guaranteed of, you know, actually finding anything that you want. Bah.

Ruby Suns FTW. That record buzzes. Wonderful.

Yeah, Amazon works wonders. I've only been burned, there, a few times. The real problem, as you pointed out, is when it's a little band whose record you can't afford, but really want, and which probably needs the scratch. It sucks. I try to buy those records at shows, because then, even if it's a dollar or two more expensive, at least you know that those extra one or two dollars are going towards keeping the band fed and warm. That's my de facto course of action, because many of the bands I follow really do need the help of their fans.

I remember seeing Yellow Swans, a year or two before they broke up, and they were just driving around in a decade-old minivan. They obviously hadn't showered in days, if not weeks, and took turns sleeping behind the merch table, while the headliner played. They borrowed a promoter's computer to try to find directions to their next show, as well as to find out whether or not it was actually still happening, and also to get estimates on fixing whatever was wrong with their ride. They were like an hour late getting to the show, because the thing'd broken down. It was unbelievable.

Ever since then, I always try to buy something at the merch table, for those little bands. They're sacrificing their lives, sometimes, to be on the road. I know a band from Baltimore, as well as one from Chicago, who had to make it to that next gig in really bad weather, in order to make enough money to get back home, and both had serious accidents. And still made it to the shows, because they had no choice. Many of those kids lose their jobs, their lovers, and all their money, just trying to get people to sit up and listen. I guess that that's a bit off-topic, but it really is important. The Rolling Stones don't need you to buy a t-shirt, so don't bother. Just buy a Titus Andronicus record, so that they can pay to take showers, the next morning.

Also, I am listening to the JoFo album, right now. Holy hell, this shit is magnificent. There is audio of Gareth Campesinos! performing "Sometimes, In the Bullring," with this band. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. This album could easily switch places with Sea Lion, on my list.

I'm digging the New Order bass sounds on Hearts on Fire, from In Ghost Colors. And there's definitely some NO influence in other places as well.

This is not a bad thing.

I'm digging the New Order bass sounds on Hearts on Fire, from In Ghost Colors. And there's definitely some NO influence in other places as well.

This is not a bad thing.

This is one of the few albums IYS mentioned on his list that I'd already listened to numerous times. I really like it.

It's really pleasurable.

And, I wouldn't say that all their music fits into this style, but I much prefer Phoenix, who can also rock out with the best of them. Mostly this is like the second album, Alphabetical, though it sounds like their upcoming album is going to be on the mellow/dancier side.

Too slick for you, IYS?

I liked a song, or two. Can't really even remember, anymore. I knew an Aussie bloke who loved 'em. He never convinced me, but I hardly hated 'em. Kind of a "meh" reaction, which I know is insulting and kind of condescending, for which I apologize...but, I dunno. It is what it is, I guess. :shrug: Just not really my style.

In case anybody in or around Chicago is interested, Fucked Up is playing at the Empty Bottle, on Saturday night. Actually, they're also playing a show at AV-aerie, at 7:00, the same evening, but I'm hitching my wagon to the Empty Bottle train. Could be epic. I'm hoping for a good, reasonably safe evening.

The Empty Bottle: Music, Drink + Food

Back
Top Bottom