if this doesn't get you pumped for the Triple J Hottest 100, nothing will

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Worst Hottest 100 ever. I'm feeling like Peter in 'Office Space'; "every day you meet me, that's the worst day of my life."

Acourse I'm probably the wrong person to ask, as for me all that up and coming stuff from people like Purity Ring and Grimes, that you guys like, is everything that's wrong in popular music. Twee, sugary, shite.

That Halsey woman (I misheard it as "Ballsy" for months because the jays' on air personalities cannot enunciate to save their lives) is atrocious.

I'm trying to figure out how fairly dark synthpop can be called twee, sugary, and slight. That sounds like you're talking about, well, twee pop like Belle and Sebastian or Beat Happening or Tallulah Gosh.

Ax you can't tell me you like this death metal song that's playing right now. Fucking hell.

First Tame Imp at 61. Starting to worry a bit for Sufjie.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's like these Double J ads are made just for Kieran.

Ironically enough, I don't much like Double J. The few times I looked into it it seemed to be mostly fairly mediocre rockabilly music. Anyhow, I don't particularly pine for the nineties or whatever. I'm engaged on a grand journey of discovery into seventies and eighties music, that has nothing to do with nostalgia (I wasn't around for most of it).

I'm trying to figure out how fairly dark synthpop can be called twee, sugary, and slight. That sounds like you're talking about, well, twee pop like Belle and Sebastian or Beat Happening or Tallulah Gosh.

It may be thematically dark, but Purity Ring in particular (and yes, I have heard quite a bit of their stuff in one context or another) just comes off as so slight, so... yeesh, they're like Tegan and Sara with synths.

The heavy music that makes the Hottest 100 is inevitably terrible. This Parkway Drive song is absolutely shit metalcore, music for 16 year olds - but 16 year olds in 2006. Are there actual teenagers still listening to this?

Ax you can't tell me you like this death metal song that's playing right now. Fucking hell.

I don't mean to be a nitpicker, because I really hate the people who act like if you enjoy metal you must hate punk and vice versa (I know a number of metal fans who go on and on about how punk is simple juvenile music for idiots), but this isn't metal of any sort, let alone death metal. It's melodic metalcore, which derives from hardcore punk.

Bet you anything that dreadful Dead Letter Circus get a song in. Speaking of 'heavy' shite, and yes, I think this is what the kids listen to.

Oh sweet, Alpine. :up:

(Though Kieran if you were calling Purity Ring slight and twee, despite their witch house background, I hate to think what you'll call this.)

I also don't like Alpine, for same reasons as Purity Ring. God, I'll be popular in this thread!

With both artists/groups, a lot of it is in the weightless, girly-girly quality of the vocals.

I don't mean to be a nitpicker, because I really hate the people who act like if you enjoy metal you must hate punk and vice versa (I know a number of metal fans who go on and on about how punk is simple juvenile music for idiots), but this isn't metal of any sort, let alone death metal. It's melodic metalcore, which derives from hardcore punk.

Mah bad!

Thought Foolish would be way higher. They didn't have any bigger songs off Yuck than that right?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Metalcore is even more horrible than death metal.

Why is A$AP Rocky the only rapper on here?

What do you call that music where one singer sings this angelic melodic bullshit chorus, and the other vocalist growls like an animal? Is that melodic metalcore? Emo?

I don't want to listen to a band/artist called Purity Ring.

Don't think there's a song I recognise here, that's how out of the loop with new music I am (outside of my already established favourites that is).

Thought Foolish would be way higher. They didn't have any bigger songs off Yuck than that right?

Yeah I assume that'll be the only entry. The only other song I expected was Damn Baby, and Foolish was bigger. I thought it would crack the top fifty, since Gasoline did back in 2013.

What do you call that music where one singer sings this angelic melodic bullshit chorus, and the other vocalist growls like an animal? Is that melodic metalcore? Emo?

That would be gothic metal, like Nightwish. I hate most of it.

I don't want to listen to a band/artist called Purity Ring.

Don't think there's a song I recognise here, that's how out of the loop with new music I am (outside of my already established favourites that is).

Purity Ring comes out of the whole witch house thing of ironic names. I'm still kicking myself for ignoring some bands for years because I hated their names (Ladytron the most glaring example).

But yeah, I like to wear shirts of bands I like and there's no way in hell I'm wearing a Purity Ring or Chvrches shirt.

Yeah I assume that'll be the only entry. The only other song I expected was Damn Baby, and Foolish was bigger. I thought it would crack the top fifty, since Gasoline did back in 2013.

That would be gothic metal, like Nightwish. I hate most of it.

Hmmm, ok. I assumed it belonged to some species of emo or whatever.

When I was at work experience in early December, JJJ was on constantly and I'm assuming the song you're referring to is the one I heard every day. I'm only a few years removed from high school but I recall how dumbfounded I was at the popularity of that sort of shit.

High By the Beach actually got votes? I've never heard an artist sound more bored by their own song.

When I was at work experience in early December, JJJ was on constantly and I'm assuming the song you're referring to is the one I heard every day. I'm only a few years removed from high school but I recall how dumbfounded I was at the popularity of that sort of shit.

I assume you are right.

Back
Top Bottom