if this doesn't get you pumped for the Triple J Hottest 100, nothing will

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously, I hate Like a Version shit ending up in the countdown, and it baffles me how there could be anybody out there for whom one of these is in their top ten for the year.

And are Kingswood literally the most unoriginal band in Australia? This is some really bad Led Zep worship.

It's pretty interesting how little buzz Kingswood get outside of Australia. I don't know/know of a single American that listens to them.

Kingswood are the most original aussie band going around. Just ask their 1.5 million fans that voted for them in the Hottest 100. Period.

Is my attempt to lessen their originality shameful and wrong?

Still going.

Cher like a version at #6. GTFO, triple J.

Who the actual fuck votes for this stuff.

It's pretty interesting how little buzz Kingswood get outside of Australia. I don't know/know of a single American that listens to them.

Yeah they're one of our musical export you don't need. I'm sure there is no shortage of thinly disguised Led Zep cover bands over there anyway.

The fact that a Cher cover that isn't anywhere near as good as the original (which isn't very good to begin with) got to the top 10 is all that needs to be said about this year's results.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Also, Ariana Grande is banned from this comp but she wrote a better banger than anything I've heard today.

Probably the worst countdown in the time I've been following it. God I hate Flume. The most entry-level bullshit.

I'm glad I don't live in Australia and am not constantly exposed to his music because, only hearing it on occasion, it's just pleasant/forgettable. I assume it becomes horrible after enough listens.

Gets worse every year.

Less worldly and more parochial.

But in spite of this.. Nick Cave doesn't even get a Guernsey.

Like A Versions are contaminating, just a means of cross-promoting their Like A Version CDs. They actually should be excluded from voting.

Flume and Faker and Joy are not terrible on their own, but just excessively fanboyed by JJJ, which makes me unfairly turn against them.

That's the problem isn't it. So fucking parochial, so fucking dull. Some of those so-so/whatever artists probably get more loathing from me than they really deserve, but it's reached the point where I just stopped listening to the station at all.

I suppose one - slight - thing I will say to the station's credit is that last I paid any attention to them, they do/did still give some coverage to new work from people like Cave, and Radiohead. It just isn't a major part of their raison d etre anymore, and certainly won't score highly with teh kidz.

Last edited:
I guess my question is; where is this moment's Midnight Oil, and why aren't Triple J supporting them?

Answer: because the ABC is politically neutered.

I don't think it's parochial for an Australian radio station that exists in large part to give exposure to Australian artists to have a large amount of Australian music in the year-end list as voted by (mostly) its listeners. If anything it suggests that the current music scene is healthy and that people are enjoying the local acts as much as many international artists that Triple J plays, promotes, tours, etc.

It's certainly not the presence of Australian-grown talent in the playlist that I for one am calling parochial. It's part of their mission, I get it. But can't they be better artists?

Don't you go insulting Alpine.

But rag on Kite String Tangle aaaaall you fucking like.

I think probably the first countdown I've not been engaged at all. I reckon I knew maybe six or seven songs tops. The song that won (Ocean Alley, Confidence)... was better than about 97 other songs in the countdown. Not an amazing song, but real, real solid. Definitely enjoyed it. A lot better than some of the fucking tripe that's won previously. But christ was there a lot of shit this year. That Amy Shark song that came like fifth or whatever, sounds absolutely no different to a Taylor Swift song. And it's like... they get on their high horse about not playing Swift or Ariana, but then they play music that is every single bit as poppy. It's so goddamn arbitrary.

Now, the people who are all like "it was better in my day"... I mean pretty much every countdown I have heard I've enjoyed more than today's (the only reason I put it on is my partner listens to Triple J at work) but that shit makes my eyes roll. Music is as good today as ever, it's just that all the stuff I like doesn't fit the very specifically curated Triple J sound. And that's fine. It's just not for me.

tl;dr - songs I genuinely enjoyed today: Four Out of Five, Bubblin, Tints, All the Stars, Baby Come Back (LAV), This is America, Sicko Mode, Confidence.

Take Taylor's name out of your mouth cobbler because you don't know a god damn thing about her career.

In fact, you're consistently the worst poster on this message board. And that's saying a lot when we have mikal and iron yuppie posting at the same time.

(I actually love you but thought this would be a fun post)

Fuck I just realised I was completely out cold for this. Seems appropriate really.

Back
Top Bottom