If I said I want your body now, would you hold it against me? - new Britney Spears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i love monty python.

i do not, however, have any love for the person whose music is the actual subject of this thread. so i think i'm out, to avoid further derailment.

I don't blindly hate her, I think her music sucks, but I have nothing against her as a person, I have a lot of epathy for her

You don't blindly hate her, and you have a lot of empathy for her, yet you say:

if there's justice, this will crash and burn

That sounds like a hater, to me. If you truly have empathy for an artist and don't hate them, why would you vehemently wish for them to fail? There seems to be a disconnect here.

When I said go oive your life it wasn't a dig, it was wishing she coukd just be happy instead of having to strive to be a relevant pop act

Who are you to say she isn't happy? I obviously don't know her, but by all accounts she is happy these days. It seems you are still stuck on this bad image of her from three/four years ago with the shaven head, doing crazy shit, tabloid mess. That was a long time ago. She got her shit together. Like I said, she hasn't done anything like that in years. Has been a model citizen, as far as I know.

You want her to just go away from the spotlight, and focus on her family. That's fine. But why the fuck would she? When her music is still making millions of people happy and giving her huge success, and she seems to be at a good place in her life, why would she just drop off the scene? Because you say so?

Let's be fair, she's never gone out of the limelight, but outside of having some top 20 songs last time out, she's hardly "immensely popular".

Yes. Yes she is.

Fame is relative, and is difficult to quantify. But there is absolutely no doubt that Britney Spears is immensely popular. Especially among the demographic that her music and image is aimed at. I'm sorry, 24, I like you, but you're way off here. She has a fucking massive fan base.

We can try to quantify it. I already talked about all of the success she had with her last album and tour.

Well, "Hold It Against Me," within 24 hours of its release, shot to #1 on iTunes in France, New Zealand, Spain, and Sweden. It went to #2 in the United States, Norway, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Finland, and Australia. Yeah, that's pretty immense. Like, globally immense.

It set the record for most radio plays in one day in the U.S. Her album is projected to sell like a motherfucker. The episode of Glee (an undeniably immensely popular TV show) she appeared on was the most watched episode of the show yet. She is the third most followed person in the world on Twitter. The only Twitter accounts in the world that have more followers are Gaga and Bieber. Whatever that says about our modern society, good or bad, if that stat doesn't attest to her immense popularity, I don't know what does. And trust me, I could go on.

But I think I'm going to hang up my Britney Spears Internet Crusader/Publicist costume for the day, and I'm going to have a smoke and a cup of coffee.

Damn.

i don't care for this song, but i do like some of her older tunes. everything she did after her britney album is a bit of a haze for me (i mean that as in i couldn't put songs of hers i know in chronological order, that's all) but there's no denying she's good at what she does. i think the last song of hers i liked was toxic. but hey, i'm happy she's found fame again after all that crap derailed her for a while.

GAF, when I said if there is any justice it would crash and burn, I was saying that if the world appreciated artistic and creative music, this kind of thing wouldn't be popular. I'm a music theory degree holder, not a Britney hater.

The album will only "sell like a motherfucker" if she has another big single closer to the release date, and continues to have them, most of the time now even the biggest pop single acts don't sell too many albums. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this album doesn't have a name or release date yet, right? You can't generate a lot of anticipation to buy something without having anything to market.

GirlsAloudFan, I appreciate your love of pop music, but you sometimes have a knee-jerk, defensive reaction when people "hate" on things you like.

You're spouting out stats about how well this song is doing, or how well Brit-Brit has done in the past, but even you must know that quantity does not equal quality. Just because something is popular, that doesn't mean it's good.

GAF, when I said if there is any justice it would crash and burn, I was saying that if the world appreciated artistic and creative music, this kind of thing wouldn't be popular. I'm a music theory degree holder, not a Britney hater.

Like there's no place in the world for fluffy pop/dance music? There's plenty of room in the world for both "serious" music (classical OR popular) alongside the simple stuff.

I was a music major as well. :shrug:

He jumped on me for saying she's not immense, but truth be told she isn't, next to no one is now with the way the industry works, and you really do have to compare her to the impact she had 10 years ago.

GirlsAloudFan, I appreciate your love of pop music, but you sometimes have a knee-jerk, defensive reaction when people "hate" on things you like.

You're spouting out stats about how well this song is doing, or how well Brit-Brit has done in the past, but even you must know that quantity does not equal quality. Just because something is popular, that doesn't mean it's good.

Of course I know that. Where did I ever even mention the quality of the music? Nowhere. I told powerhour, it's perfectly fine that he doesn't like the song or her music.

I was merely countering his statement that Britney isn't massively popular.

I don't mind some fluffy pop music, but this song is terrible.

Well sure, fine, I don't have a beef with people hating the song. I just took issue with the "if the world appreciated ..." line.

People do appreciate quality music. The fluff - even the stuff you think is terrible - is still going to popular, even if Zombie Mozart himself rose from the grave and finished his Requiem to mass acclaim (followed by brain eating).

Some people appreciate complex, creative music, its not too often it tops any charts though.

Don't be sad GAF. Brit Brit is here for you.

britgaf.jpg

I wish Britney would go away and keep her focus on her kids.

Ya, Mrs Speers, back in the kitchen with you! You think you can have kids and a career? oh, not on my watch, ma'am. I'll have oatmeal chocolate chip

Can we start talking about the complexities of the eponymous lyric now? There's so many possible interpretations. Bono's got nothing on that lyric.

Is 'hold it against me' metaphorical, or referring to said body? THE WORLD AWAITS ANSWERS! I hope this is track 1 of a Popopera that will develop this for me.

Also, my browser saw no problem with the spelling of the word 'popopera' go figure.

Oooooooh, yay. I like the sound of that second one.

I like but don't love Hold It Against Me, although that breakdown bit in the middle is pretty nifty.

This really is a terrible song and the video is even worse. I like quite a few Britney videos, but she needs to remember her greatest asset is her sexiness and start to emphasize that. I mean, I suppose it's sexy when she starts to multi-color orgasm out of her finger tips, but that just leaves me confused.

I think the video is supposed to be a wacky depiction of her career (pure pop princess is created and rises, but then she busts free and breaks down by shooting colorful paint all over her pureness before collapsing, doing some kung fu and then rising again), but I just don't like the video that much.

Back
Top Bottom