If Aussie dad-rockers The Reubens win the JJJ Hottest 100, I will literally talk abou

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Final list:

Oasis
Wonderwall
The White Stripes
Seven Nation Army
Jeff Buckley
Last Goodbye
Hilltop Hoods
The Nosebleed Section
The Verve
Bitter Sweet Symphony
Foo Fighters
Everlong
The Killers
Mr. Brightside
Powderfinger
These Days
Gotye
Somebody That I Used to Know {Ft. Kimbra}
Powderfinger
My Happiness
Queens of the Stone Age
No One Knows
Gotye
Hearts a Mess
Radiohead
Paranoid Android
Mumford & Sons
Little Lion Man
The Prodigy
Breathe
Bon Iver
Skinny Love
Silverchair
Tomorrow
OutKast
Hey Ya!
blink-182
Dammit
The Living End
Prisoner of Society
The Smashing Pumpkins
Blur
Song 2
Muse
Knights of Cydonia
Augie March
One Crowded Hour
The Smashing Pumpkins
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
System Of A Down
Chop Suey!
The Avalanches
Frontier Psychiatrist
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Scar Tissue
Franz Ferdinand
Take Me Out
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Californication
Massive Attack
Teardrop
Tool
Stinkfist
The Cranberries
Zombie
Ben Folds Five
Brick
Radiohead
Karma Police
Jeff Buckley
Hallelujah
Beastie Boys
Sabotage
The Temper Trap
Sweet Disposition
Nirvana
Heart Shaped Box
Nine Inch Nails
Closer
Coldplay
Yellow
Matt Corby
Brother
John Butler Trio
Betterman
Daft Punk
One More Time
Modest Mouse
Float On
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Into My Arms
The Offspring
Self Esteem
The Strokes
Last Nite
Florence + the Machine
Dog Days Are Over
Pearl Jam
Better Man
The Dandy Warhols
Bohemian Like You
Gorillaz
Feel Good Inc
Placebo
Every You Every Me
Kings Of Leon
Sex On Fire
Fatboy Slim
Praise You
Underworld
Born Slippy (Nuxx)
Bloc Party
Banquet
The Whitlams
No Aphrodisiac
Daft Punk
Around The World
Bush
Glycerine
The Black Keys
Lonely Boy
Spiderbait
Buy Me A Pony
Grinspoon
Chemical Heart
MGMT
Kids
Daft Punk
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
You Am I
Berlin Chair
alt-J
Breezeblocks
Jet
Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Eminem
Lose Yourself
Regurgitator
! (The Song Formerly Known As)
Gorillaz
Clint Eastwood
Wolfmother
Joker And The Thief
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Home
The Wombats
Let's Dance To Joy Division
The Killers
Somebody Told Me
MGMT
Electric Feel
The Presets
My People
Silverchair
Freak
Arctic Monkeys
I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
Rage Against The Machine
Bulls On Parade
Angus & Julia Stone
Big Jet Plane
Wheatus
Teenage Dirtbag
Pulp
Common People
Kanye West
Gold Digger {Ft. Jamie Foxx}
Coolio
Gangsta's Paradise
The Killers
When You Were Young
The Kooks
Naive
Something For Kate
Monsters
TV On The Radio
Wolf Like Me
Silverchair
Straight Lines
Jebediah
Harpoon
Of Monsters And Men
Little Talks
Soundgarden
Black Hole Sun
Foster The People
Pumped Up Kicks
Ben Lee
Cigarettes Will Kill You
The Cat Empire
Hello
M.I.A.
Paper Planes
Jebediah
Leaving Home
Lana Del Rey
Video Games
Beastie Boys
Intergalactic

Really quite surprised Green Day didn't get in. In some ways I'd think Time of Your Life would have been top five. There are some odd non-inclusions. A lot of complaining on Twitter about the lack of women in the list, but there were 940,000 votes cast so that's a little disingenuous.

I guessed Wonderwall would be number one. Wouldn't be in my top 100 of the decade, but it's a great song, universally loved, I can live with that being number one.

ABSOLUTE FUCKING DISGRACE that Nosebleed Section was #4. Aussie hip-hop the fourth best song of the past 20 years? Get the fuck out of here.

Pretty solid list overall, I'd say. A LOT of great songs in there.

No REM is pretty surprising, given their stature as a loved alternative band. But maybe they were a victim of vote-splitting? Can't see Everybody Hurts making too many lists so votes were probably split over a bunch of other tunes.

In fairness - although REM had further triumphs with New Adventures in Hi-Fi and (kinda) Up, the aforementioned song doesn't make the 1993 cutoff. That probably hurt them. But someone like Bjork, whose entire solo career falls squarely inside the timeframe, and who used to be massive... oh how the mighty have fallen!

REM did so well in the Hottest 100 early on, but in the Hottest 100 of All Time done in 2009, I'm not sure they had a single song. No surprise they didn't make it this time - I just don't get why they've fallen off with the Triple J crowd when they've done nothing to lose their j-wanker cred. It's not like how U2 used to make the Hottest 100 but nowadays are widely loathed by the j-wankers.

And at least there were some women at all, compared to that 2009 All Time list that had NONE.

Fun fact: highest placing song from the 2009 All Time released between 1993-2012 that did not make this year's chart? Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees, which was #28 in 2009. Also, in 2009, of songs eligible for this year's chart, Hallelujah (#3), Paranoid Android (#5), Last Goodbye (#7), and Everlong (#9) all placed higher than Wonderwall (#12).

We all know what the last thirteen years of their career look like, but the Triple J blind spot where U2 are concerned (hey, they'll play the Smiths, even now, quite often; not the Cure or REM though) is amusing. At their peak, on full throttle, U2 pissed all over pretty much anything on the playlist that you can think of.

The Cure's another band whose results in early Hottest 100s are sensational, yet might as well not even exist in Triple J land now. Robert Smith got into the Hottest 100 via Not in Love in 2010 at least.

Though as far as today's edition goes, The Cure didn't have anything worthwhile to qualify anyway. Wish just missed out on eligibility.

(Actually, no, wait, I'll come out and champion Friday I'm in Love - fuck da haterz - and it was eligible. Thinking about it, that's another song I'm surprised didn't make it, like the Manics' If You Tolerate This.)

There's some stuff in there that really makes me happy, like Berlin Chair, ! (The Song Formerly Known As), and Everlong being so high. Because Memories. And I'm really glad to see No Aphrodisiac and Gangsta's Paradise make it, not that there's any big surprise over it, but they were on my list.

Also I like Jeff Buckley

Your fondness for No Aphrodisiac, not Jeff Buckley, is what should be hidden in small text. :tsk:

Shit, I just realised, no Arcade Fire either.

Ok, I guess their career is still newish (!) depending on how you judge 2003/04 on to be.

Shit, I just realised, no Arcade Fire either.

Ok, I guess their career is still newish (!) depending on how you judge 2003/04 on to be.

...wow. This is definitely surprising. I guess their vote must've got a bit split?

This is dumb. You're dumb. You are so dumb, you dumb meanie.

That's a pretty good description of The Whitlams right there. :wink:

(Actually, I don't know if I'd hate it at all if I heard it for the first time today, but when I hear it, I immediately just have flashbacks to how much I thought it sucked when I was eleven.)

It's funny, I'm the exact opposite - I love it (and the rest of Eternal Nightcap) largely because I'm pretty sure it was the only album my parents listened to in 1998. And that could really go either way on forming an opinion, but after seeing Eternal Nightcap performed in full a few years ago, I still think it's great.

I liked No Aphrodisiac in 1997. I remember listening to it a lot and being probably a little too influenced by it. Then buying the album. The album wasn't very good. I think I realised that whatever the Whitlams (circa Tim Friedman) were up to, it wasn't what I was looking for in music.

Me and my mates pretty much guesses what the top 5 was. When the White Stripes were #2 it was obvious Oasis had the win.

Would have been nice to have U2 in there somewhere...at least thrift shop didnt make it!!!!

Nothing from Funeral made the Hottest 100, upon further research.

And I've gotta say... I actually only heard 1979 for the first time a few months ago, but man, is that a great song.

Come to think of it, the omissions are nearly endless. It's unavoidable. How could anyone narrow it down to 100 songs.

Screenwriter Blues by Soul Coughing? Hello!?

I had voted for 'Whats The Frequency Kenneth?" thinking it might be the only post 1993 R.E.M. song to make the list. I also voted for 'Beautiful Day' and 'Vertigo', but from what you guys have said, it sounds like no U2 song was going to make the cut at JJJ.

While it would have been nice to see Arcade Fire included, I don't think they've yet had a standout single of worldwide popularity...the type of song that the masses would vote for.

Another big omission that occurred to me is Weir by Killing Heidi. With so much other nineties Aussie rock represented - Regurgitator, Spiderbait, Grinspoon, Living End, Silverchair, You Am I, even Jebediah - it's surprising to see that song miss out given it was MASSIVE. #2 for its year on the Hottest 100, most successful song by an Unearthed artist at the time, etc.

I had voted for 'Whats The Frequency Kenneth?" thinking it might be the only post 1993 R.E.M. song to make the list. I also voted for 'Beautiful Day' and 'Vertigo', but from what you guys have said, it sounds like no U2 song was going to make the cut at JJJ.

While it would have been nice to see Arcade Fire included, I don't think they've yet had a standout single of worldwide popularity...the type of song that the masses would vote for.

Nor have Jebediah but that didn't stop that rather ordinary Aussie band from Perth making the cut.

Arcade Fire... Something like Rebellion (Lies) surely has a big recognition factor.

Nor have Jebediah but that didn't stop that rather ordinary Aussie band from Perth making the cut.

Arcade Fire... Something like Rebellion (Lies) surely has a big recognition factor.

True...but Jebediah making it is probably mostly a reflection of it being an Australian-centric top 100.

Looking at Arcade Fire's discography on wikipedia, it doesn't look like any of their singles have charted in Australia. The Aussies on the board would certainly know better than me, but perhaps AF haven't broken through in Australia like they have in North America?

Rebellion (Lies) would certainly be my top pick to make the list.

Same deal with Powderfinger - good band but massively overrated in Australia, because they're Australian. The Edge once called them bland.

Arcade Fire had three songs chart from The Suburbs in 2010. Rebellion Lies would have been my pick but that never even charted in 2004.

The Edge actually had/has awareness that a thing called Powderfinger exists? Wow.

Rebellion (Lies) may not have charted much but it's all over the place. Even in that Six Feet Under episode where Nathaniel loses his shit over the bird in the house.

Edge calling another band bland is pretty rich given U2's early 2000s output.

Back
Top Bottom