If Aussie dad-rockers The Reubens win the JJJ Hottest 100, I will literally talk abou

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my god no. That was a 0.5 star song if I've ever heard one - and today I've already fucking listened to Eminem's "Ass Like That", Eamon's "Fuck It", and Billy Ray Cyrus's "Achy Breaky Heart" as part of an RYM project to listen to the bottom 100 singles of all time. "Mercy" was no better than any of that shit. Couldn't wait for it to stop grating on my ears. Now Seth Sentry, "My Scene", this is an obvious improvement. More interesting - and more coherent - lyrics, that's for fucking sure.

Apart from "Gasoline", none of my votes made the top 200. Damn. I was hoping "Obedear" would show up at least.

Imagine a lot of people will be surprised Cloud Nothings still didn't show up today. Some surprises in the 200-101 list but in general it's about what I expected, and definitely better than the 100. Some bands will be a bit bummed their vote got split by two songs that both showed up in 200-101, rather than having the vote focused on one song that would've definitely cracked the Hottest 100; Haim in particular, with #101 and #106. Combine the votes for those two and I imagine they'd be very high in the 100.

well there's a phrase i never thought i'd see you say, even if it is a song title.

:lol:

So, Cloud Nothings weren't in the top 200? Could have sworn I heard Wasted Days but then again that might have been... yes, it was yesterday morning. I'm losing my mind.

Oh my god no. That was a 0.5 star song if I've ever heard one - and today I've already fucking listened to Eminem's "Ass Like That", Eamon's "Fuck It", and Billy Ray Cyrus's "Achy Breaky Heart" as part of an RYM project to listen to the bottom 100 singles of all time. "Mercy" was no better than any of that shit. Couldn't wait for it to stop grating on my ears. Now Seth Sentry, "My Scene", this is an obvious improvement. More interesting - and more coherent - lyrics, that's for fucking sure.

I'm not going to say it's a great song, but I still love it. The beat alone makes it better than Ass Like That and Fuck It, and Achy Breaky Heart is better left not spoken about.

I will admit though that My Scene is a good tune though. One of the better Aussie hip-hop tunes out there. Along with this one, which was in the Hottest 100

Allday x C1 - So Good - YouTube

If Aussie dad-rockers The Reubens start spelling their name the way I do, I will, not retract, but look more kindly upon, my outrageous slurs.

'My Scene' is an ok, I say ok, track.

I'm not going to say it's a great song, but I still love it. The beat alone makes it better than Ass Like That and Fuck It, and Achy Breaky Heart is better left not spoken about.

Sorry, but it's been a while since I've had such an immediate, visceral negative reaction to a song. It just sounds like some kids doing stupid voices.

If Aussie dad-rockers The Reubens start spelling their name the way I do, I will, not retract, but look more kindly upon, my outrageous slurs.

:lol:

Grinspoon and airbourne... Two bands I haven't thought about anytime recently, and was not really looking to be reminded.

I don't think Grinspoon are all that bad to be honest. A couple of decent songs.

I couldn't even tell you what grinspoon I've heard, i don't remember at all. I just remember the name as something really boring.

Airbourne deserve to be bashed to the very pits of existence, however.

10 years ago, I was at a free music festival (headlined by the mighty Bodyjar) called Push On at the Alexandra Gardens. It was kind of a festival/battle of bands, and Airborne won the best new band and some sort of award for it. I remember the frontman leaping off the stage and spinning around on the ground playing his guitar in the wet. They've received shitloads of money in the past decade but I don't think anyone really cares about them?

Easy-era Grinspoon were alright, just really couldn't give the slightest damn about them anymore.

I love that Porter Robinson track, Language. Happy that made the 200-101. Few other songs I voted for cracked it. Absence of Hot Chip in the 200 is alarming.

Fuck It is in the RYM bottom 100? :sad:

I can't believe "House That Heaven Built" came in so low :( 3rd or 4th best song of the year.

Picking the best 20 songs of the past 20 years sounds like something I would like to do, but it would take forever and I'd still hate my list.

Oh great now I'm definitely not getting any work done this afternoon.

My ballot will be:

U2 - Zooropa
Radiohead - Black Star
The Mountain Goats - No Children
Outkast - SpottieOttieDopaliscious
Blur - Beetlebum
Beck - Debra
Built to Spill - Carry the Zero
Beck - Debra
The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize??
Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Bon Iver - Skinny Love
Dismemberment Plan - Face of the Earth
Modest Mouse - Gravity Rides Everything
The National - Karen
The Shins - Kissing the Lipless
Belle and Sebastian - Seeing Other People
Smashing Pumpkins - Cherub Rock
Teenage Fanclub - Alcoholiday
Yo La Tengo - Autumn Sweater
Beach House - Lover of Mine

Literally nothing I choose will have a hope of making the Hottest 100. My list will definitely include the following songs taken from a top 15 of all time I made for RYM purposes:

Porcupine Tree: Fadeaway
Alcest: Printemps Emeraude
Whipping Boy: Users
Russian Circles: Verses
Agalloch: In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
Pinback: CLOAD "Q"

Yes, the Pinback choice is utterly hopeless, but it's legit become my favourite track out of their whole discography. I may swap to Microtonic Wave, Grey Machine, or Non Photo-Blue in the hope maybe somebody else will vote for them too, since they are more prominent songs.

I'm gutted that Leave Them All Behind by Ride, One More by Medicine, and Gravity Grave by The Verve miss out by a single year. Fuck, 1992 was an impressive year for shoegaze - literally my top three shoegaze songs are all from the same year.

With about as much thought or time as I'm prepared to give it:

U2 - Lemon
The National - Fake Empire
Radiohead - Karma Police and/or Reckoner
Wilco - Spiders (Kidsmoke)
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - O Children
Massive Attack - Teardrop (although personally kind of sick of it)
Dave Graney & The Coral Snakes - Dandies Are Never Unbuttoned
U2/Passengers - Slug
Sleater Kinney - Get Up/Jumpers/Step Aside and/or Entertain
Orbital - Sad But True
Gillian Welch - Revelator

Back
Top Bottom