If Aussie dad-rockers The Reubens win the JJJ Hottest 100, I will literally talk abou - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
The Edge once called them bland.
Didn't Fanning get pissed off to the point where he subtly or not so subtly slagged them off in a song?

Old 06-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #272
45:33

Local Time: 05:58 PM
I was trying to do research on the topic and the only info I can find is all from our forum. Earnie Shavers mentioned it once. So perhaps it's not true?

Old 06-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:28 PM
That would have hurt, if true. Fanning's a fan of those cunts.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think the cry of 'you can't insult my band, we're your fans!' would have kept Edge from having that opinion though.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #275
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Didn't Fanning get pissed off to the point where he subtly or not so subtly slagged them off in a song?
It might have been that song, can't remember the name, where Fanning sings something like 'it's not such a beautiful day'.

Fair enough, ATYCLB is bland. And so is much of what followed. But Powderfinger are not fit to carry the Edge's travel case. Get back to me, Bernard, when you've dissected love the way U2 did in 'So Cruel' or 'Ultraviolet'.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

... and at number twenty-three, it's Muse with The Knights Who Say Nih!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #277
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Get back to me, Bernard, when you've dissected love the way U2 did in 'So Cruel' or 'Ultraviolet'.
I'm forever glad no Powderfinger song I've ever heard (which admittedly is not many) is as bad as either of those songs.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #278
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Are you seriously shitting me? Those are among their very pinnacle.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #279
Vocal parasite

You're unfamiliar with my distaste for Ultra Violet and most of Interference's distaste for So Cruel?

Now if you'd said Fanning had never written a lyric as evocative as A Sort of Homecoming, we'd be in full agreement.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
You're unfamiliar with my distaste for Ultra Violet and most of Interference's distaste for So Cruel?

Now if you'd said Fanning had never written a lyric as evocative as A Sort of Homecoming, we'd be in full agreement.
I must admit I am probably quite out of touch as I was completely unaware of either of those things. They sway my opinion not a jot, though.

Jesus fuck, even Matt Berninger should kill to have written a song like So Cruel (not a million miles from his latterday Roy Orbison bent btw).
Old 06-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #281
45:33

Whilst So Cruel will never be in my top 20 U2 songs, it will always be a great song. The lyrics are outstanding, one of Bono's best efforts. Incredibly scathing.

Another shock one missing - Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. No YYYs was a surprise as well.

Seriously though it would be great if anyone can find out whether the whole Fanning hates U2 thing has any truth to it, or whether it's just an Interference thing.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #282
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Shit, even I like still like so cruel (and ultra violet, oddly enough).
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #283
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I must admit I am probably quite out of touch as I was completely unaware of either of those things. They sway my opinion not a jot, though.

Jesus fuck, even Matt Berninger should kill to have written a song like So Cruel (not a million miles from his latterday Roy Orbison bent btw).
I've generally understood the common opinion on this forum to be that So Cruel is a quality lyric but a very boring song, and it's certainly an opinion I share - good idea, poor execution. I'd toned back on piping up with my vitriol for Ultra Violet because I thought everybody within ten miles of Interference was sick of hearing it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #284
Vocal parasite

Also, I wonder if Triple J will post the 101-200? Might reveal that some of the surprising omissions were the victim of split votes. I'm really stunned at how well Gotye and Powderfinger did despite their vote being primarily split between a couple of songs.

Oh, and speaking of surprising omissions, given the fapfest over Tame fucking Impala, I'm stunned they didn't make the countdown. When we got up to the top ten, Charlotte and I made a bet - I reckoned they were still to come, while Charlotte said (more in hope than anything else) that they wouldn't appear. I've never been happier to lose a bet in my life. Especially since all I had to do was make our dessert.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

Similarly, what would be the chance of Rage showing the countdown? Not particularly high I don't think, but it would be quite cool.