If Aussie dad-rockers The Reubens win the JJJ Hottest 100, I will literally talk abou

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was trying to do research on the topic and the only info I can find is all from our forum. Earnie Shavers mentioned it once. So perhaps it's not true?

I don't think the cry of 'you can't insult my band, we're your fans!' would have kept Edge from having that opinion though.

Didn't Fanning get pissed off to the point where he subtly or not so subtly slagged them off in a song?

It might have been that song, can't remember the name, where Fanning sings something like 'it's not such a beautiful day'.

Fair enough, ATYCLB is bland. And so is much of what followed. But Powderfinger are not fit to carry the Edge's travel case. Get back to me, Bernard, when you've dissected love the way U2 did in 'So Cruel' or 'Ultraviolet'.

You're unfamiliar with my distaste for Ultra Violet and most of Interference's distaste for So Cruel?

Now if you'd said Fanning had never written a lyric as evocative as A Sort of Homecoming, we'd be in full agreement.

You're unfamiliar with my distaste for Ultra Violet and most of Interference's distaste for So Cruel?

Now if you'd said Fanning had never written a lyric as evocative as A Sort of Homecoming, we'd be in full agreement.

I must admit I am probably quite out of touch as I was completely unaware of either of those things. They sway my opinion not a jot, though.

Jesus fuck, even Matt Berninger should kill to have written a song like So Cruel (not a million miles from his latterday Roy Orbison bent btw).

Whilst So Cruel will never be in my top 20 U2 songs, it will always be a great song. The lyrics are outstanding, one of Bono's best efforts. Incredibly scathing.

Another shock one missing - Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. No YYYs was a surprise as well.

Seriously though it would be great if anyone can find out whether the whole Fanning hates U2 thing has any truth to it, or whether it's just an Interference thing.

Shit, even I like still like so cruel (and ultra violet, oddly enough).

I must admit I am probably quite out of touch as I was completely unaware of either of those things. They sway my opinion not a jot, though.

Jesus fuck, even Matt Berninger should kill to have written a song like So Cruel (not a million miles from his latterday Roy Orbison bent btw).

I've generally understood the common opinion on this forum to be that So Cruel is a quality lyric but a very boring song, and it's certainly an opinion I share - good idea, poor execution. I'd toned back on piping up with my vitriol for Ultra Violet because I thought everybody within ten miles of Interference was sick of hearing it. :wink:

Also, I wonder if Triple J will post the 101-200? Might reveal that some of the surprising omissions were the victim of split votes. I'm really stunned at how well Gotye and Powderfinger did despite their vote being primarily split between a couple of songs.

Oh, and speaking of surprising omissions, given the fapfest over Tame fucking Impala, I'm stunned they didn't make the countdown. When we got up to the top ten, Charlotte and I made a bet - I reckoned they were still to come, while Charlotte said (more in hope than anything else) that they wouldn't appear. I've never been happier to lose a bet in my life. Especially since all I had to do was make our dessert.

Similarly, what would be the chance of Rage showing the countdown? Not particularly high I don't think, but it would be quite cool.

I've generally understood the common opinion on this forum to be that So Cruel is a quality lyric but a very boring song, and it's certainly an opinion I share - good idea, poor execution. I'd toned back on piping up with my vitriol for Ultra Violet because I thought everybody within ten miles of Interference was sick of hearing it. :wink:

The common opinion on this forum means less than zero to me. But we'll leave that there.

As for Fanning, I rang him up, and his vitriol literally leaked down the line like whisky from a broken barrel. It wasn't pretty.

Common opinion generally means nothing to me, however, common interference opinion regarding a song makes me gravitate toward whatever the opposite opinion is. I do already like so cruel, but knowing most of this place doesn't like it makes me actually want to listen to it.

however, common interference opinion regarding a song makes me gravitate toward whatever the opposite opinion is.

Shame this nonetheless probably doesn't translate to you agreeing with me that Achtung Baby is considerably overrated around here. :wink:

That is odd that Beck missed the cut. Come to think of it, you'd really expect to see something like Loser in there (I don't think it's one of the best 100 songs post 1993, but I suspect I can easily imagine a lot of people who would).

Loser isn't even close to being his best song, but that is a bit surprising, considering the audience.

Back
Top Bottom