I need to expand my "horizons"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apart from the great music already suggested, I would recommend Portishead as well. Not particularly avant-garde, but I think it more or less fits the OP's request.

My votes for that title:

Chanticleer - Ave Maria (Angelus Domini) [Biebl]

and

Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings
:ohmy: Wow, sounds like we might have similar tastes in classical. :hmm: No one ever seems to know the Biebl, unless they were in choir or glee club. When I worked retail I used to surreptitiously foist it on clueless customers asking for a good recording of "the" Ave Maria...no one ever returned it though, so far as I know!

Erm, I'm afraid I have no suggestions in line with the OP's request, I'd second the Flaming Lips one, but I see that advice was already taken anyway.

so... um... this has been amusing lol.

anyone have any other musical suggestions?? :D

Certain albums that stick out in my mind you may like, despite their age,

Low - David Bowie, esp. Always Crashing In The Same Car
Viva Roxy - Roxy Music, esp. If There Is Something
The Cars - The Cars(Debut LP), esp. Let The Good Times Roll
Evergreen - Echo & The Bunnymen, esp. Just A Touch Away
Stationtostation - David Bowie, esp. Stationtostation
The Idiot - Iggy Pop, esp. The Dum Dum Boys
The Buzzcocks - Love Bites, esp. ESP
Graham Parker & The Rumour - The Up Escalator, esp. Devils Sidewalk.

Hope some if not all are to your liking.

Elbow's The Seldom Seen Kid is just a downright brilliant album (from Manchester, unquestionably the capital of all good music), that everyone should have the pleasure of listening to...

I never said that. I said I fixed :D so that you dont need to add clf when just posting :D by itself.

Ahhh, I see. I didn't realize that was an issue, since I never use that smiley. ;)

:ohmy: Wow, sounds like we might have similar tastes in classical. :hmm: No one ever seems to know the Biebl, unless they were in choir or glee club.

Yeah, that would be me. I'm a choir geek. :lol: My classical music love is somewhat limited - I know what I know and like what I like, but don't often seek out pieces I'm unfamiliar with it or listen to it very often.

I'm a sucker for the choral masterworks, though. The Biebl is just stunning. I've sung it as SATB for a double-choir kind of thing, but I prefer the men's voice arrangement.

You do know how to copy and paste, don't you?!

I am unfamiliar with the concept.

Someone told me today that MBV is playing in Seattle this month. :ohmy:

I'd go, but I don't know if my ears could handle it.

Saw them in Chicago, last year. They hand out earplugs at the door, and they will protect you. Bring your own, I guess, just in case. Just go. Really. Was an incredible show, and I didn't even think that the Holocaust Section in "You Made Me Realize" was that loud. Maybe that speaks more to my gradual hearing loss from so many gigs, but it is what it is.

One person went deaf at a show, last year, but just one. And he refused any earplugs and was near the monitors. Just desserts, I think, for that sort of flamboyant stupidity. I wonder what happened to that guy...and if his story was true!

haha thanks.... its just too bad that I dont understand the lyrics :huh:

You'll get over it. And I mean that nicely! The music completely transcends the lyrics for the most part. Plus a lot (not all) of their "lyrics" aren't even lyrics, it's a made-up language so you're not missing anything.

Here's a video with English subtitles for my favorite song from the record you downloaded. For the most part I don't miss not understanding the lyrics but in this case the video and lyrics are quite powerful.

YouTube - Sigur Ros - Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa - English subtitles

When, "Viorar" finally takes off, there's really nothing like it. It's like a jet engine.

I completely agree. It must be played loud. And one day, it must be played at a show I attend. :angry:

I was dragged to a dance performance one Saturday afternoon which I had low expectations for but when I heard the opening notes to Vaka as the curtain opened, it suddenly all changed. Turns out it was stunning.

I was afraid that after 5 pages I would have nothing new to recommend, but only about half of this thread has been used for that purpose. :lol:

My recommendations:

Super Furry Animals - Mwng
M83 - Saturdays = Youth
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
The Verve - A Storm In Heaven
Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Oh, and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is absolutely incredible. Definitely one of the best albums of the '90s.

Brian Eno - Another Green World

Another tremendous recommendation, right here. Combine it with Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets and Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy), and you're doing quite well.

Other bands/albums...

The Velvet Underground: in order, listen to...

Loaded
The Velvet Underground & Nico
White Light/White Heat
The Velvet Underground

And how could I forget the king of Canadian "post-rock" and one of my ten/fifteen favorite records of all time...?

Broken Social Scene: You Forgot it in People

Back
Top Bottom