I Love "Loveless"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AEON

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
There's been a lot of whispers about the remastered version of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless finally coming out this January.

I've been listening to this one a ton lately. You haven't lived until you're racing down the freeway in your minivan blasting "When You Sleep" so loud the man on the Harley looks over.

If Achtung Baby didn't exist - it would absolutely be the best album of all time.

If My Bloody Valentine didn't exist you COULD argue there'd be no Achtung Baby :wink:

but yeah I can't believe this thread hasn't had any replies! This album fucking rules - love it so much. I used to ask my local record store for an update on the remasters once a month with no news every time obviously

There were even copies sent to the press and reviewed, and ads put in music papers to announce the release (no dates mentioned though haha) but i guess we should never have expected such a precise date from Kevin Shields....
I've never associated it with high speed driving but that's just me :p i used to listen to the Isn't Anything album (which i THINK i prefer - very hard to choose) while on long bike rides though.

if they do come out in January i'll be very happy, it's about time I replaced my battered copies by now :drool:

It's great for sure - you're exactly right about cruising with When You Sleep blasting, that's pretty much the best feeling in the world. Nonetheless, my favourite shoegaze album is still Chapterhouse's Whirlpool.

I finally listened to this album today, thinking that it could not possibly live up to its reputation. But it turns out that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definitely an experience, as it seems to wrap around you as you listen. And now I also know whence Billy Corgan drew his inspiration for Siamese Dream.

Never occurred to me to try this album as a "driving record" which is how I listen to most of my music these days and seem to enjoy it most. Thanks for the idea.

I finally listened to this album today, thinking that it could not possibly live up to its reputation. But it turns out that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definitely an experience, as it seems to wrap around you as you listen. And now I also know whence Billy Corgan drew his inspiration for Siamese Dream.

The good news is that it only gets better with time. It's one of the albums that is great no matter the volume or location.

Nonetheless, my favourite shoegaze album is still Chapterhouse's Whirlpool.

Yes - another great shoegaze album - along with Slowdive's Souvlaki and Ride's Nowhere. Also - anything by the Cocteau Twins up until Heaven or Las Vegas. (I never considered the Cocteau Twins a shoegaze band, but it seems that enough critics have labeled them as such so I guess I might as well do it too...)

This album makes me want to own the best headphones money can buy. Or learn to create them, if existing ones aren't sufficient.

This album makes me want to own the best headphones money can buy. Or learn to create them, if existing ones aren't sufficient.

If I were a musician - I would take this as the greatest possible compliment.

Love this album. Seriously one of the best records of all time. Also love the Tremolo and Glider EP's, which work as nice little companion pieces. Speaking of shoegazer, I recently got a copy of Drop Nineteen's "Delaware." Really like a few tracks so far.

I was going to post links to the various other MBV threads that have popped up over the years here, but there's not really a point. Unfortunately there's not much to be said that hasn't been already. MBV's entire discography is worth owning, particularly the EP's the apparent new JackInTheBox mentioned (there is a long time poster here with the exact same user name, just in lower case, who's also a huge shoegaze / dreampop fan). I'm always wary of remasters of things like this, as the potential that I'll find the remaster disappointing is typically larger than the potential I'll like it.

Nowhere is one of my all time fav albums. Vapour Trail 4 lief.

I am new, actually. I was surprised when the system allowed that username. Didn't think to check lowercase. I can try to get it changed to avoid confusion.

I am new, actually. I was surprised when the system allowed that username. Didn't think to check lowercase. I can try to get it changed to avoid confusion.

Haha, yeah, I was really confused for a second there. There are probably only a few of us here in Bang and Clatter who know the other Jack In the Box, but if you're planning on spending time in this section of the forum (I hope so, you have good taste!), maybe the mods will let you adjust it.

user name, just in lower case, who's also a huge shoegaze / dreampop fan). I'm always wary of remasters of things like this,

One of the reasons I am looking forward to the remaster on this is because of the volume level. Like many non-mastered version, it is too low compared to newer stuff.

I'll probably buy it regardless, as I'm sure it will have some sort of cool packaging or bonus, and I'm a sucker for that crap. I just hope it's not like The Stone Roses, where every change they made in the remaster felt like it was for the worse.

Great album for sure, not sure about one of the best of all time. Each to their own, but I like decipherable lyrics though.

Of course MBV were partially Irish - like all the great bands. :wink:

Fuck driving. This is a metropolitan mass transit rail system album. Righteous shit. Loveless in Tokyo = some of my favorite music listening moments.

Definitely agree with whoever mentioned Slowdive's Souvlaki - that is an incredible album. One of the albums I'll just listen while on the bike and just shut everything out. Great when you're feeling really down about stuff oddly. I remember one review on Amazon said never listen to after a break up, you'll want to throw yourself off a cliff :lol:

Ride's Nowhere is great too! Not quite as good as Souvlaki i find but damn there's some great songs on there, Seagull's definitely one of my favourites. found a live version on YouTube though and jesus CHRIST they cannot pull that off on stage.

One of the reasons I am looking forward to the remaster on this is because of the volume level. Like many non-mastered version, it is too low compared to newer stuff.

I'm different in that I worry about things like that :doh: quite a few bands have had their music butchered when its remastered. At least digitally. Mastering engineers will overcompress it and boost the volume so all the subtleties of the music are just lost and everything's forced to the front.
There's no dynamic range and it's one of the reasons people (like me) who seem annoying for saying they prefer vinyl (and analogue remasters if we're lucky to get that - see the 2006 vinyl re-issue Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92) are actually right because it honestly sounds better! :wink:

Older CDs, for example the late 80s CD issues of the Beatles that were being sold for twenty fucking years before remastering, are not, as you say, "non-mastered". The process of mastering music these days is just incredibly different and, as you may already know, there's the issue of that damn 'Loudness War' that's lead to most music you hear these days, including 'remasters' sounding god-awful.

you may already know all of what i've just said, in which case i apologise if i've come off as a patronising wanker. however give this a watch if you haven't done before :)

YouTube - The Loudness War

but all I can say is I very much doubt Kevin Shields will let his music be ruined like that. his ear led to that album taking as long as it did, so i'm not surprised remastering the damn thing's taking just as long! :lol: but to go back to the point you made originally, there's nothing to say that it won't be louder than the original issue, i just doubt he'll let it be pushed to the volume others might prefer :huh:

Definitely agree with whoever mentioned Slowdive's Souvlaki - that is an incredible album. One of the albums I'll just listen while on the bike and just shut everything out. Great when you're feeling really down about stuff oddly. I remember one review on Amazon said never listen to after a break up, you'll want to throw yourself off a cliff :lol:

Ride's Nowhere is great too! Not quite as good as Souvlaki i find but damn there's some great songs on there, Seagull's definitely one of my favourites. found a live version on YouTube though and jesus CHRIST they cannot pull that off on stage.

I'm different in that I worry about things like that :doh: quite a few bands have had their music butchered when its remastered. At least digitally. Mastering engineers will overcompress it and boost the volume so all the subtleties of the music are just lost and everything's forced to the front.
There's no dynamic range and it's one of the reasons people (like me) who seem annoying for saying they prefer vinyl (and analogue remasters if we're lucky to get that - see the 2006 vinyl re-issue Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92) are actually right because it honestly sounds better! :wink:

Older CDs, for example the late 80s CD issues of the Beatles that were being sold for twenty fucking years before remastering, are not, as you say, "non-mastered". The process of mastering music these days is just incredibly different and, as you may already know, there's the issue of that damn 'Loudness War' that's lead to most music you hear these days, including 'remasters' sounding god-awful.

you may already know all of what i've just said, in which case i apologise if i've come off as a patronising wanker. however give this a watch if you haven't done before :)

YouTube - The Loudness War

but all I can say is I very much doubt Kevin Shields will let his music be ruined like that. his ear led to that album taking as long as it did, so i'm not surprised remastering the damn thing's taking just as long! :lol: but to go back to the point you made originally, there's nothing to say that it won't be louder than the original issue, i just doubt he'll let it be pushed to the volume others might prefer :huh:

Not patronizing at all...informative. I don't really own that many remasters and I'm certainly not an expert. About the only thing that irritates me is that my lower volume music doesn't fit nicely into a playlist with everything else. Then again, Loveless is an album I usually listen to from start to finish so I guess it doesn't really matter...

Souvlaki is also one of my all time favorites.

It's a great album. I can listen to it on repeat for hours, especially in winter. That said, it needs a cleanser to follow it so my ears don't bleed. The Soft Bulletin works nicely.

Probably my favorite album ever. Just a flawless experience that has no peer amongst the other shoegaze albums.

Back
Top Bottom