I Love "Loveless" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
user name, just in lower case, who's also a huge shoegaze / dreampop fan). I'm always wary of remasters of things like this,
One of the reasons I am looking forward to the remaster on this is because of the volume level. Like many non-mastered version, it is too low compared to newer stuff.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 05:00 AM
I'll probably buy it regardless, as I'm sure it will have some sort of cool packaging or bonus, and I'm a sucker for that crap. I just hope it's not like The Stone Roses, where every change they made in the remaster felt like it was for the worse.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:00 PM
Great album for sure, not sure about one of the best of all time. Each to their own, but I like decipherable lyrics though.

Of course MBV were partially Irish - like all the great bands.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Fuck driving. This is a metropolitan mass transit rail system album. Righteous shit. Loveless in Tokyo = some of my favorite music listening moments.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #20
Blue Meth Addict

It used to be my go to "late night walk" music.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Definitely agree with whoever mentioned Slowdive's Souvlaki - that is an incredible album. One of the albums I'll just listen while on the bike and just shut everything out. Great when you're feeling really down about stuff oddly. I remember one review on Amazon said never listen to after a break up, you'll want to throw yourself off a cliff

Ride's Nowhere is great too! Not quite as good as Souvlaki i find but damn there's some great songs on there, Seagull's definitely one of my favourites. found a live version on YouTube though and jesus CHRIST they cannot pull that off on stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
One of the reasons I am looking forward to the remaster on this is because of the volume level. Like many non-mastered version, it is too low compared to newer stuff.
I'm different in that I worry about things like that quite a few bands have had their music butchered when its remastered. At least digitally. Mastering engineers will overcompress it and boost the volume so all the subtleties of the music are just lost and everything's forced to the front.
There's no dynamic range and it's one of the reasons people (like me) who seem annoying for saying they prefer vinyl (and analogue remasters if we're lucky to get that - see the 2006 vinyl re-issue Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92) are actually right because it honestly sounds better!

Older CDs, for example the late 80s CD issues of the Beatles that were being sold for twenty fucking years before remastering, are not, as you say, "non-mastered". The process of mastering music these days is just incredibly different and, as you may already know, there's the issue of that damn 'Loudness War' that's lead to most music you hear these days, including 'remasters' sounding god-awful.

you may already know all of what i've just said, in which case i apologise if i've come off as a patronising wanker. however give this a watch if you haven't done before

YouTube - The Loudness War

but all I can say is I very much doubt Kevin Shields will let his music be ruined like that. his ear led to that album taking as long as it did, so i'm not surprised remastering the damn thing's taking just as long! but to go back to the point you made originally, there's nothing to say that it won't be louder than the original issue, i just doubt he'll let it be pushed to the volume others might prefer
Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth brown View Post
Definitely agree with whoever mentioned Slowdive's Souvlaki - that is an incredible album. One of the albums I'll just listen while on the bike and just shut everything out. Great when you're feeling really down about stuff oddly. I remember one review on Amazon said never listen to after a break up, you'll want to throw yourself off a cliff

Ride's Nowhere is great too! Not quite as good as Souvlaki i find but damn there's some great songs on there, Seagull's definitely one of my favourites. found a live version on YouTube though and jesus CHRIST they cannot pull that off on stage.

I'm different in that I worry about things like that quite a few bands have had their music butchered when its remastered. At least digitally. Mastering engineers will overcompress it and boost the volume so all the subtleties of the music are just lost and everything's forced to the front.
There's no dynamic range and it's one of the reasons people (like me) who seem annoying for saying they prefer vinyl (and analogue remasters if we're lucky to get that - see the 2006 vinyl re-issue Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92) are actually right because it honestly sounds better!

Older CDs, for example the late 80s CD issues of the Beatles that were being sold for twenty fucking years before remastering, are not, as you say, "non-mastered". The process of mastering music these days is just incredibly different and, as you may already know, there's the issue of that damn 'Loudness War' that's lead to most music you hear these days, including 'remasters' sounding god-awful.

you may already know all of what i've just said, in which case i apologise if i've come off as a patronising wanker. however give this a watch if you haven't done before

YouTube - The Loudness War

but all I can say is I very much doubt Kevin Shields will let his music be ruined like that. his ear led to that album taking as long as it did, so i'm not surprised remastering the damn thing's taking just as long! but to go back to the point you made originally, there's nothing to say that it won't be louder than the original issue, i just doubt he'll let it be pushed to the volume others might prefer
Not patronizing at all...informative. I don't really own that many remasters and I'm certainly not an expert. About the only thing that irritates me is that my lower volume music doesn't fit nicely into a playlist with everything else. Then again, Loveless is an album I usually listen to from start to finish so I guess it doesn't really matter...

Souvlaki is also one of my all time favorites.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Loveless in Tokyo = some of my favorite music listening moments.
I think Sophia Coppola agrees with you...
Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:00 AM
It's a great album. I can listen to it on repeat for hours, especially in winter. That said, it needs a cleanser to follow it so my ears don't bleed. The Soft Bulletin works nicely.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 07:00 AM
Probably my favorite album ever. Just a flawless experience that has no peer amongst the other shoegaze albums.