I generally dislike The Beatles. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I live where I don't wanna drown, but god I'm going down...(/UK/)
Posts: 1,539
Local Time: 08:57 AM
I generally dislike The Beatles.

Yes, you read it correctly. It seems that everywhere I go I notice this craze for the Beatles, but it seems that-judging by what music I have heard of them so far-I generally dislike them. I have heard Abbey Road all the way through and most of the white album, and yes-the high points are very good but it seems I find it incredibbly hard to sit all the way through one of their albums. I tried listening to revolver and rubber soul but after about 5 minutes I simply gave up. I'm wondering if any of you have any recomendations regarding the Beatles-IE, their most accesible songs that might, perhaps, alter my opinion?

It's strange because I'm a big fan of Lennon's solo work and it seems most of the Beatles songs I can abide are written by him-IE, 'come together' or 'I want you' (both, coincedentally on Abbey Road)
__________________

__________________
adypole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,448
Local Time: 02:57 AM
I think that a great deal of the Beatles' acclaim comes from their cultural significance rather than any claim to have been the "greatest" band ever in terms of technique, accessibility, songcraft, etc.

Though I love the Beatles, in my mind several bands have come along since then who have created more accomplished music. It's perfectly justifiable not to care for the Beatles' music while still acknowledging their importance.
__________________

__________________
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 12:57 AM
Your post doesn't exactly explain why you dislike the Beatles. You do dislike them, and that's fascinating and all, but I can't recommend songs that stand in contrast to the songs you dislike in order to sway your opinion, as I have no idea what those songs are or why you dislike them.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,959
Local Time: 12:57 AM
There is a Beatles thread that you could have posted this in.
__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I live where I don't wanna drown, but god I'm going down...(/UK/)
Posts: 1,539
Local Time: 08:57 AM
Moderators can move if decided appropriate.

I would say what puts me off listening to any Beatles albums from start to finish, or stop me from having a full appreciation of them, are the songs which Lennon, I think, described as 'Pauls granny shit'. You know, the nursery rhyme like songs, the childish ones like ob-la di or polytheme pam, maxwell's silver hammer...
__________________
adypole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,007
Local Time: 12:57 AM
Paul didn't write Polythene Pam but I understand what you're saying. I have an issue with the same kind of material, though it certainly doesn't prevent me from appreciating the rest of their brilliance.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 03:57 AM
For me, those songs are part of what make the Beatles so good. They dont take themselves so seriously that they can't write a song like those mentioned. I love both Polythene Pam and Maxwell's Silver Hammer, though if you're listening to Polythene Pam out of the medley, you're really missing the point
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,007
Local Time: 12:57 AM
Maxwell's is an eye-roller if there ever was one. I don't find it as offensive as Honey Pie but it's rather dumb. It makes Octopus's Garden seem like an brilliant piece of songwriting.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 03:57 AM
I genuinely like it
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Refugee
 
Ronnie269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Killiney, Vico Road
Posts: 1,748
Local Time: 09:57 AM
Quote:
I think that a great deal of the Beatles' acclaim comes from their cultural significance rather than any claim to have been the "greatest" band ever in terms of technique, accessibility, songcraft, etc.

Though I love the Beatles, in my mind several bands have come along since then who have created more accomplished music. It's perfectly justifiable not to care for the Beatles' music while still acknowledging their importance.

Couldn't agree more, The Beatles are a band most people are born into liking these days, its considered quit odd not to like them, not many people actually (IMO) stand back and take a good view of the music and say I actually like that, its just considered as a given, I am a big fan of them, I suppose I'd be in the minority of been a bigger fan of there earlier stuff, I like their rock and roll albums, If I hadnt have read your post I would have recommended Revolver, its there most accessible IMO, but I guess if you don't like them you don't have to, no big deal and yeah I agree there has been bands in recent years that have took music further than The Beatles.
__________________
Ronnie269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,007
Local Time: 12:57 AM
I'm not sure what could be "further" or "more accomplished" than Strawberry Fields Forever or I Am The Walrus, but I'm curious to know who's surpassed them.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie269 View Post
Couldn't agree more, The Beatles are a band most people are born into liking these days, its considered quit odd not to like them, not many people actually (IMO) stand back and take a good view of the music and say I actually like that, its just considered as a given, I am a big fan of them, I suppose I'd be in the minority of been a bigger fan of there earlier stuff, I like their rock and roll albums, If I hadnt have read your post I would have recommended Revolver, its there most accessible IMO, but I guess if you don't like them you don't have to, no big deal and yeah I agree there has been bands in recent years that have took music further than The Beatles.
I think this is often a knee jerk reaction from people who dont like them. I find it to be a somewhat thoughtless and dismissive comment. I grew up disliking the Beatles because they were my Dad's band and when I was young and foolish, I thought that made them lame. As I grew up, I realized how staggering their discography actually is. Their catalog is so dense that no other band can come close to touching them. I mean, think about everything you know about the Beatles. All the songs, all the experimentation, all the styles; all of that happened in a time span of seven years. That's unheard of. Can you imagine if a band came along in 2003 and changed the musical landscape in the way the Beatles did? If you dont like them, thats fine, but to imply that others like them only because they think they're supposed to is very short sighted. There are plenty of bands that I'm 'supposed' to like, but cant stand (Pink Floyd off the top of my head).
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Refugee
 
Ronnie269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Killiney, Vico Road
Posts: 1,748
Local Time: 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I think this is often a knee jerk reaction from people who dont like them. I find it to be a somewhat thoughtless and dismissive comment. I grew up disliking the Beatles because they were my Dad's band and when I was young and foolish, I thought that made them lame. As I grew up, I realized how staggering their discography actually is. Their catalog is so dense that no other band can come close to touching them. I mean, think about everything you know about the Beatles. All the songs, all the experimentation, all the styles; all of that happened in a time span of seven years. That's unheard of. Can you imagine if a band came along in 2003 and changed the musical landscape in the way the Beatles did? If you dont like them, thats fine, but to imply that others like them only because they think they're supposed to is very short sighted. There are plenty of bands that I'm 'supposed' to like, but cant stand (Pink Floyd off the top of my head).
Firstly I am a big Beatles fan, they are a phenomenal band! undeniable, I wasn't aiming my comment at you or anyone in particular, from my own experiences tho, it seems that there is alot of people that just say "yeah of course I am a Beatles fan obviously!" It doesn't seem to be thought about twice, My comment was addressing this, a staggering back catalog indeed, and yeah no doubt they pushed the envelope in the sixties and changed the way music was recording and written, a current band that I would compare to the Beatles is Radiohead, a band that constantly push themselves in different directions and without fail produce incredible music,
__________________
Ronnie269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie269 View Post
Firstly I am a big Beatles fan, they are a phenomenal band! undeniable, I wasn't aiming my comment at you or anyone in particular
Same

Its just a discussion that I've had on a couple occasions lately and I feel really strongly about it. I've also heard someone state that the Beatles 'just came along at the right time', which is also terribly dismissive and doesnt even really mean anything when you think about it.
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
 
Sicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,297
Local Time: 12:57 AM
You're pretty young right? Like 14? I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything as I know a lot of young kids get into older music but perhaps you just cant relate to it?

I personally never got 'into' the Beatles and I'm in my 30s. I don't dislike them but I wouldn't call myself a fan.
__________________

__________________
Sicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com