I don't care for Sufjan Stevens - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
The Male

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Normal I don't care for Sufjan Stevens

*is attacked by wild animals*

I don't know...the only record I've heard by Sufjan Stevens is Illinoise, and I thought it was horrible. One of the worst wastes of 75 minutes anyone could have concocted. His voice sucks, the songwriting is nothing special, and the whole thing just came off as gimmicky to me.

Is Michigan better? I'm willing to give the guy another chance, but I'm tired of wasting my time on Illinoise...it's just a really bad/overrated record.

Oh, and by the way, about his "new" album of b-sides; how conceited can you get? Why would you release an album's worth of songs spawned from the recording sessions of a terrible album?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:16 PM
I don't care for Korn

Old 07-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

While I don't agree with what you say I defend to my death your right to say it.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Re: I don't care for Sufjan Stevens

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
This made me laugh.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:16 PM

Quote:
I don't know...the only record I've heard by Sufjan Stevens is Illinoise, and I thought it was horrible. One of the worst wastes of 75 minutes anyone could have concocted. His voice sucks, the songwriting is nothing special, and the whole thing just came off as gimmicky to me.
I agree. After he was praised to the heavens here last year, I checked out Illinois and was thoroughly let down. I don't think I even managed to listen to it all, I got so bored by what I perceived to be completely bland music that I just gave up and switched to something that would keep me awake.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Blue Meth Addict

I hated him at first too. I actually rated Illinois as the "most overrated album of 2005". Now I'm really enjoying his work and quite like Illinois. All things go, all things go.

No big deal if you don't like something, go listen to what you enjoy and have fun.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:16 PM
I heard a few tracks from Illinoise on the local college radio station, and I wasn't impressed either.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:16 PM
I love Sufjan. I think his work is incredible, and no I'm not just buying into the hype. I think he's a genius.

You know what I don't like though? Flesh wounds.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:14 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
You know what I don't like though? Flesh wounds.
Oh I know what you mean! I so much prefer wounds where vital organs are hit.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:18 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I love Sufjan, but probably yes, Illinoise was overrated... The Avalanche is great but... is going to be overrated too
Old 07-12-2006, 01:32 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

overrated or not, Sufjan's music is pure beauty

Old 07-12-2006, 02:09 AM   #12
The Male

I should probably listen to one more record by him before I say his music sucks.

Then again, that makes sense.

Check out Steven Thomas Erlewine's total bashing of Sufjan: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=61::67KP

Old 07-12-2006, 04:44 AM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 05:16 AM

Quote:

Is Michigan better? I'm willing to give the guy another chance, but I'm tired of wasting my time on Illinoise...it's just a really bad/overrated record.

Oh, and by the way, about his "new" album of b-sides; how conceited can you get? Why would you release an album's worth of songs spawned from the recording sessions of a terrible album?
I can understand your sentiments. When I first bought Illinois I wasn't overly enamoured by it, but after letting it grow on me over the course of a few months, I've grown to love the album. All good things come to he who waits. I can definitely understand how the hype, etc, might have gotten to you, however, and I would also defend your right to not like his music. I also appreciate that you decided not to rubbish him entirely without giving something else a chance, so I'd say that you should try Seven Swans. It's probably not as good as Illinois or Michigan, but given that Michigan is quite similar in sound to Illinois, it might be better to go for this album, which is quieter and has simpler arrangements. And, if you don't like it, well, it's probably no loss to you or me, it's just a matter of taste.

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I agree. After he was praised to the heavens here last year, I checked out Illinois and was thoroughly let down. I don't think I even managed to listen to it all, I got so bored by what I perceived to be completely bland music that I just gave up and switched to something that would keep me awake.
Give it time! One listen and you give up? I must say that any album that strikes me immediately on first listen generally ends up at the bottom of the pile pretty quickly. The arrangements on Illinois are superb and far from bland, and reveal themselves in their full glory only by repeated listening, if you give them a chance. Still, if you don't like it, you don't like it I suppose.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:19 AM   #14
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Re: Re: I don't care for Sufjan Stevens

Quote:
Originally posted by PookaMacP
Give it time! One listen and you give up? I must say that any album that strikes me immediately on first listen generally ends up at the bottom of the pile pretty quickly. The arrangements on Illinois are superb and far from bland, and reveal themselves in their full glory only by repeated listening, if you give them a chance. Still, if you don't like it, you don't like it I suppose.
My favourite albums have tended to not be those that struck me initially, but an album has to at least be decent enough for me to want to hear it again, and Illinois most certainly failed that test. It was so bland to my ears that I felt like I was listening to the sonic equivalent of a blank sheet of paper. It's not that I thought the album was crap, it's that I found it totally boring and unremarkable; I didn't feel any character or emotion in Sufjan's voice, the songs felt dull and lifeless, the concept felt forced - it had entirely no quality to make me want to listen. And at the end of the day, his style isn't really a style I find particularly interesting in the first place - I'm a prog fan.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:59 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Likewise how I find prog dull, lifeless, soulless and too utterly technical. I have no idea how people enjoy it, but Axver does, and for him to get the same joy out of Dream Theater that I get out of a guy like Sufjan is cool.

Music's good! It's all subjective!

Tags
sufjan stevens