I don't care for Sufjan Stevens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I recall hearing a single song by him, despite quite a bit of name-dropping of his stuff.

Detroit, Come On! Feel The Illinoise!, Chicago, and Casimir Pulaski Day are the ones to check out.

Detroit, Come On! Feel The Illinoise!, Chicago, and Casimir Pulaski Day are the ones to check out.

The vast majority of what you just mentioned is from Illinoise, you do like it!!!!!

:wink:

Seer's Tower was the song that finally won me over.

The vast majority of what you just mentioned is from Illinoise, you do like it!!!!!

:wink:

Seer's Tower was the song that finally won me over.

Yeah, too bad there are 19 other songs on that album, at least 6 of them being utterly pointless.

haha

It's funny because of how much I initially hated the album as well. I can relate, yet at the same time, violently disagree.

Anyone been listening to The Welcome Wagon? Husband and wife produced by Sufjan...quite a good album.

I initially liked Michigan more, particularly They Only Mourn... (whatever the rest of that song title is) and Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! ...(whatever the rest of that song title is). They've got a colder, darker feeling than any of the tracks on Illinois, but I don't think they're nearly as accessible as most of the songs on that album. I tried not to like Chicago - I don't like Sufjan's voice at all, for instance. He barely has one. But Chicago is just a great song, it sounds organic, like it's a massive monster in motion. Great driving music, too.

Plus his songs actually make me feel like I'm in the Midwest, which is a fine achievement as I've never been there.

I really like him. His first album (Seven Swans) is really lovely. I think Illinois is my favorite record by him - "Chicago" is amazing, and "John Wayne Gacy, Jr" just breaks my heart.

That being said, I can't listen to a lot of him in one sitting. And he needs an editor for his ridiculous song titles.

I think Illinois is my favorite record by him - "Chicago" is amazing, and "John Wayne Gacy, Jr" just breaks my heart.

That being said, I can't listen to a lot of him in one sitting. And he needs an editor for his ridiculous song titles.

Agree with all of this (although I kind of like the silly song titles).

For some reason I'm not interested in him as a live performer, though. I've never seen a live clip that I was particularly impressed with. I love his records, though, and he's just insanely talented (plays how many instruments??).

Still, a little Sufjan goes a long way.

HG & philly, have a listen to "Chicago." I couldn't find a "real" video and this is kind of annoying but you can at least hear one of his best songs (and see how cute he is):

YouTube - Chicago - Sufjan Stevens

Are you sure, as it doesn't seem you actually read the thread or anything else LeMeL wrote after the first post looking at your response. :huh:

yeah i meant thread title, not thread. I also failed to notice it was like two years old.

anyway, my initial reaction was a bit harsh, I was very angry that day if you can believe it

...but I still don't like Sufjan Stevens

I wasn't a big fan of sufjan etiher until I checked out his cd titled "seven swans". It is full of truly beautiful songs....highly recommended.

Bean...

Back
Top Bottom