I can't like The Eagles anymore :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hand0lotion

War Child
Hi fellows. Never posted here before, and excuse me if this post is a little incoherent. I'm tired:crack:

So anyway, U2 is my number 1 band (duh, which is why I check these forums everyday). They're so much more than a band to me, they are a lifestyle, a religion I actually like and believe in, and they give me reason for my goals and the future (ok, but this is another story... one that we've heard many times around here).

I thought I should check out other groups too, cos such U2 exclusiveness could be 'unhealthy' as some might say :)shifty:), so I gave The Eagles a go, starting with Hotel California and taking off from there. They have some really catchy rock tunes, like "One of these nights", "Already gone", "life in the fast lane" etc. I did find it cool that all 4 members (left) could sing lead, and their voices were each pretty distinct, brought a special flavor to each song. Mostly the lyrics were pretty lame and gal-centered. They did have one lyric though, which I still love. "How do I get out of here, where do I fit in" from the song "Learn to be still" (achingly beautiful melody or snoozefest, depending on how yous ee it)

I'll cut to the chase, here's why the Eagles suck:
-Don Henley, frontman, kicks lead guitarist Don Felder out of the band. I'm sketchy on the exact details, but I know there was bad blood between the two Dons. (compare Bono:heart:Edge)
-On youtube, they ban the audio from uploaded songs of their DVD concert. And that was the version I would listen to on all the songs! Can you imagine U2 doing the same for their Rose Bowl songs on youtube? We complain about U2 being $$ grubbers or whatnot, but at least they don't do shit like this
-I used to like Don Henley: handsome, good songwriter, can drum and sing lead simultaneously, plays guitar and other stuff, but Don Henley is a diva. I've read this from various media anecdotes (ok, not all may be true, but you never see such negative stories about Bono or our boys), and now in U2 At The End of The World where Henley throws a hissy fit over Automatic Baby Clinton's inauguration closing instead of him. Yeah, add this to the fact that he kicked out a bandmate and we can conclude he's not a nice person.
-Henley said he doesn't 'get' U2 in the U2 At The End of The World book

:no:

At least Henley was polite enough to say that he "doesn't get" U2. The author Flanagan's interpretation of it is that he "doesn't like" them. I would still like to see the Eagles in concert, but without spending a dime (a matter of principles, and all my $$ is saved up for U2). Pity they would never do an outdoor show so I can't get free sounds. Short of someone giving me an Eagles ticket... nah.

Ugh, wow...usually I get irritated by defending the Eagles, but this thread....not gonna bother.

The only thing you even said there that has any real basis on them as a band MIGHT be the first thing. For one thing, do you really think it's The Eagles themselves that banned the audio from Youtube and not the label? There are PLENTY...PLENTY of youtube videos without sound because they aren't supposed to be there.

But...I'm really just not going to bother. But I did lol.

Most Interference regulars probably know like three other bands besides U2, and most bands that sound like U2 are shit, so there's not much room to progress from there cleanly into great music.

I guess Rattle and Hum has some Eagles-ish songs...

I don't want to sound like a prick. But how old are you? And how are U2 the only band you listen to? I think even at the very height of my obsession when I was around 15/16 I still listened to other music as well.

The only thing you even said there that has any real basis on them as a band MIGHT be the first thing. For one thing, do you really think it's The Eagles themselves that banned the audio from Youtube and not the label? There are PLENTY...PLENTY of youtube videos without sound because they aren't supposed to be there.
yeah, exactly. most of these cases is an automatic thing, pretty much as soon as the video is uploaded this stuff happens. 99% of my youtube uploads have some kind of copyright notice telling me this video can't load in these countries, this record label has a copyright on it, etc. it's the labels, not the artists. i don't think u2 themselves give a shit that i made a video of a b-side of theirs. though there are cases of artists like prince who (in the past) didn't like having live performances of theirs up and took them down, though usually in instances like that the whole video is taken down. the audio being removed leads me to think it's, again, a record label thing.

i'd put one up to test and see who makes the claim but that would require me having an eagles song on my computer.

re: the don henley not getting/liking u2 thing though, who cares? don't mean to sound rude but not every musician is going to like every other one. bono himself has (in the past, as in 30+ years ago) made disparaging comments about my favourite band. did i think bono was a prick for doing so? no, he's entitled to his own opinion and besides, he seems to like them okay now. but even if he didn't i wouldn't hate u2 or bono for not liking everyone i like. variety is the spice of life, different strokes for different folks, insert other popular sayings about not everyone being the same here.

me? i like some of their stuff and i might have some of their songs on my ipod, i'm not sure. 99% of my music is on my other computer which is still in the states. my comment about having to have eagles music on my computer is mostly out of laziness, though also coupled with the fact that there's some of their hits i don't like and would rather not have on my computer, which i'd get if i downloaded a best of or something.

pretty sure you can be a douche and still make decent music (or even be a wicked nice person who puts out shitty albums). don't worry, once you turn 13 you'll learn to separate the tunes from the 'ttudes. the eagles, however, were never capable of making decent music. i mean, i guess they're alright if you like utterly boring songs that smack of adult contemporary lack of originality (and the eagles are definitely guilty of such suckiness, never mind henley's solo stuff). me personally, i can't think of a single song of theirs that hasn't made me want to rupture my eardrums with flaming chopsticks.

Okkervil River. We were talking about him being a douchebag in random, some believed he was, some did not. I believe that wearing a scarf in 40+ degrees (celsius) weather is the very definition of being a douchebag.

The Eagles sounded okay in their time period, but the music hasn't aged well. It's too stuck in the 70s. Of course, I haven't heard any of their "new" stuff, and wouldn't listen to their solo stuff in you paid me to. And many of them are pricks as people.

Some kid I know's parents paid $800 each for front row tickets the last time they were here... and I think it was just a red zone type deal, nothing else.

Didn't realise this is EYKIW part 2.

Anyway, was feeling really good about myself after getting this off my chest. I now see the eagles as a group of individuals--session musicians who play well together and crank out good music (subjective) at a live concert, since you have to pay a bomb for it.

Ahh... the 'hey little kiddo, someday you'll grow up and be like us' tactic. I'm not a kid but I'm an optimist, and I like to believe the acts I spend $$ on represent something good, or are fundamentally nice people. I guess Bruce Stringsteen would also fall into that category.

I suppose it's a 'good skill' to separate the tunes from the 'tude as someone up there said. Good on those who have it.

I don't want to sound like a prick. But how old are you? And how are U2 the only band you listen to? I think even at the very height of my obsession when I was around 15/16 I still listened to other music as well.

We're on these boards cos we're the thousand or so (rough ballpark) U2 fanatics who think about the band (or moreso the music for EYKIW folks) every day.

Do you go to mutliple bands' interference equivalent forums everyday? That must be mentally exhausting.

fundamentally nice people.

cynical: good luck. people inherently suck.

apathetic: and if there is such a thing as a fundamentally nice person, especially regarding people i've never met or never will meet, i don't see how that matters.

We're on these boards cos we're the thousand or so (rough ballpark) U2 fanatics who think about the band (or moreso the music for EYKIW folks) every day.

Do you go to mutliple bands' interference equivalent forums everyday? That must be mentally exhausting.

Speaking for myself, since when does going to an "Interference equivalent forum" mean you're a fanatic of that band?

Again, speaking for myself, but I'm sure I'm not alone, a lot of us signed up on this site when we were at the height of our U2 fandom, and still come here because we've developed friendships and like to discuss other music besides U2 (which does exist). So there's no need to go to other forums, when we can discuss music right here.

Speaking for myself, since when does going to an "Interference equivalent forum" mean you're a fanatic of that band?

Again, speaking for myself, but I'm sure I'm not alone, a lot of us signed up on this site when we were at the height of our U2 fandom, and still come here because we've developed friendships and like to discuss other music besides U2 (which does exist). So there's no need to go to other forums, when we can discuss music right here.

i hate to agree with bomac when he is most likely in the process of quoting my last post in some way to tell me i'm a fucktard, but i support this post 100%.

And just because we like/love U2 that doesn't mean that we automatically dismiss all the other good music that's around. I mean, I'm a huge U2 fan and listen to U2 more than any other band/artist. But still, 95% of the time I'm listening to music, I'm not listening to U2 (thanks Last.fm for that statistic :) ).
It's nice to have some perspective on music/artists. Just because I love U2 doesn't mean that Bono is God, Edge is the most intelligent genius on earth, Larry is the best drummer EVAH and Adam has the biggest... erm... let's not go there. :shifty:

As for The Eagles. They never struck me a particularly nice people, but they have some excellent tunes. I might get some Greatest Hits album someday.

Okkervil River. We were talking about him being a douchebag in random, some believed he was, some did not. I believe that wearing a scarf in 40+ degrees (celsius) weather is the very definition of being a douchebag.

I'm going to test the fuck out of that this summer.

I refuse to accept that he would be a douchebag.

Back
Top Bottom