Hot Chip + side projects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alexis Taylor's got a new solo joint coming out, Await Barbarians.

First track is pretty boring, but imma still spin the shit in the hope there's some tracks that can match his fellow Hot Chip singer's solo output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCKgYfMVSaI

Track titles are predictably funny as ever

01 From The Halfway Line
02 Without A Crutch (2)
03 Immune System
04 Dolly and Porter
05 Closer To The Elderly
06 Elvis Has Left The Building
07 Piano Ducks
08 New Hours
09 Where Would I Be?
10 Am I Not A Soldier?
11 Without A Crutch (1)

:cornflakes::cornflakes::cornflakes::cornflakes::cornflakes::cornflakes:

283a416f.png

Why Make Sense?

May 18.

01 Huarache Lights
02 Love is the Future
03 Cry For You
04 Started Right
05 White Wine and Fried Chicken
06 Dark Night
07 Easy to Get
08 Need You Now
09 So Much Further to Go
10 Why Make Sense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0ONyRctyE

Really like Huarache Lights. Anyone else? Pre-orders of the deluxe CD or vinyl come with an EP entitled Separate with four original tracks. I will do just that... when I am not destitute.

I'd love to have got the vinyl but just too much money. Got the deluxe CD.

So pumped about this, Hot Chip really are one of my favourite ever bands. I have liked everything they've put out.

Just bought a digital copy. Physical deluxe CD was $30 and the one thing I hate about this band is that they never put much effort into packaging. Different coloured covers is a cool enough gimmick but there was still no booket, just a cover and a CD.

NONETHELESS, once again, Hot Chip deliver a really good album. It's got a bit of a more retro disco/r&b vibe to it at times, but still maintains the Hot Chip touch. Highlights for me on first spin through were Huarache Lights, Love is the Future (stands out with a verse from Posdnous!!!!), Dark Night, Need You Now (probably the best song) and the title track, which is quite a different sound for them, it has really loud, cacophonous drumming and a lot of other sounds going on which is a nice way to finish the album.

If I take off my rose-coloured glasses, it may be just another in a line of consistent, reliable albums from a band that don't make bad music, but has seemed to fall into a reasonably comfortable, safe-ish groove, but it will grow on me no doubt. It might be a bit more consistent than their last album but it doesn't have a banger as good as Flutes. As much as I love them I think they've really only got one truly great album, The Warning, and I'd love to hear more Joe Goddard, his last few EPs have been spectacular.

But yeah v good. Anyone else heard it yet?

The opener was easily the best track on this, but I liked the whole album. Last two have been really good, actually.

I've listened to Why Make Sense, and it's another winner! Maybe not as good as In Our Heads, as it seems to skimp on the dance-heavy tracks, but still very good.

If you have 90 minutes, I absolutely recommend you watch this show that was filmed at the Pitchfork Festival in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbpoozOvKqE

I also recommend everyone give The 2 Bears' album from last year, The Night is Young, a listen. So many incredible tracks from that record: "Get Out", "Angel (Touch Me)", "Not This Time", "Run Run Run", and the title track.

The opener was easily the best track on this, but I liked the whole album. Last two have been really good, actually.

Yep Huarache Lights is a banger. Really enjoyed another few spins this morning. I loooooove Need You Now. Best Hot Chip-related despondent electro walkthrough since this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXpQ1H-txY0

The Separate EP that comes with the deluxe edition is probably unnecessary.

If I take off my rose-coloured glasses, it may be just another in a line of consistent, reliable albums from a band that don't make bad music, but has seemed to fall into a reasonably comfortable, safe-ish groove, but it will grow on me no doubt. It might be a bit more consistent than their last album but it doesn't have a banger as good as Flutes. As much as I love them I think they've really only got one truly great album, The Warning, and I'd love to hear more Joe Goddard, his last few EPs have been spectacular.

But yeah v good. Anyone else heard it yet?
I was going to post something in the vein of this. It's good but it's not spectacular. I have that with all their albums (the three I've heard) actually. It's easy to listen to so I listen to it quite a lot but it's always in the background.

I do look forward to seeing them live this summer.

I would suggest keep spinning that last one, close to my fav album of the aughts.

Their debut, Coming On Strong, is good... it's spotty as many debuts are but it's their funniest album and has a couple of really, really good songs in Crap Kraft Dinner and especially Bad Luck.

The other one is Made in the Dark. I have probably only listened to it all the way through once or twice, the sequencing is just awful, but it has six or seven really great songs, and was their last album that musically focused more on guitar than electronics.

I've only seen them live once, opening for LCD in 2010, and don't recall much of it because I was just all about LCD that night. Missed them in 2013 because Beach House fell on the same night. They replied to my tweet and said they'll be out here either end of the year or start of next year, and I cannot wait.

Saw them last night. I hadn't seen them since 2010, when they played with LCD Soundsystem. But that night was pretty much all about LCD, so I was really, really fucking excited. Miss them on their last time through in 2013 because I went to see Beach House instead. Thank goodness they keep Flutes in the set.

They all walk out on stage at a small nightclub venue and it is a sight for sore eyes. Part of the reason I love Hot Chip so fucking much is because they are all such average dudes - except for Sarah Jones, who is their drummer, and she fucking absolutely slays. Holy hell - Alexis is about 50cm tall, hunched over and bespectacled. Joe Goddard is a giant, also hunched over, a bit overweight and actually seems a bit shy. It's actually Al Doyle who does most of the chit-chat, and he just wears a white kimono-lookin thing the whole time, beaming with a big smile, with balding red hair.

They open up with Huarache Lights, which is a great song, a terrific opener and a good banger. The auto-tune bits are heaps of fun. Stomping tune. That's followed by One Life Stand, good single that had the crowd singing along nice and early. I dragged my girlfriend along and she was enraptured; thanked me heaps, said it was the best thing she'd ever seen (though her experience before she met me was limited to one Aqua gig). Recognised this song. Up next was Night & Day, which I've never been big on, I'd have taken 50 other Hot Chip songs over it but it's a tune and was over pretty quick. Good to dance to. Heavier, more truncated and faster than the album version. THat was followed by Love is the Future. I thought it was kind of quaint that it features a Posdnuos verse; the only band I've seen at this venue was De La Soul. They cut that verse though. The song sounds good live.

Up next ... Flutes. My FUCKING GOD. I don't care who you are, if you don't like that song, you don't have a fucking pulse. It is a FUCKING MONSTER. It is perfectly crafted, the intro especially, with the way each beat/drumbeat/guitar part comes in bar by bar. It's fun to watch live too cos Al, Alexis and some other dude all turn 90 degrees at the end of all the "work that inside outside work that" lines. But yeah, it is fucking racuous. I was losing my fucking mind dancing to it, I was a ball of sweat by the end. Anyone else here experienced it live? A couple of years ago Inte said it was in his top experiences live EVER and I have to agree, it was right up there. Holy shit. Then they followed it with Over & OVer and I very nearly passed out.

Started Right and Need You Now were up next (although I just looked at their Sydney setlist and the fucking cunts got Alley Cats as well, one of my fav HC songs, and we didn't :sad: we got Easy to Get, though, which I also really like) and my girlfriend started dancing all sexy and it was hot as. All great tunes, Need You Now sounded different live and was great, although probably better on record. (Al's bass was super loud the whole night, which was great for most of it but meant on songs like Need You Now and Boy From School you couldn't hear the beat as well.) Ready for the Floor and I Feel Better closed the main set and by this point they had whipped the crowd into a massive, massive frenzy. It was insane. Loud as shit, hands everywhere, everyone sweating like crazy, the band were obviously very impressed by it, perhaps even a little surprised. It was why I was surprised they started the encore with Look at Where We Are, as the energy in the room was phenomenal, and would have been better served by a banger. (I was actually expecting them to just do Dancing in the Dark, or Boy From School/Dancing in the Dark, but it was a four-song encore.) Boy From School ruled, again it's better on record but it still stomps live, the first drop is fucking mad. Let Me Be Him was the penultimate song, one I had forgotten about, but worked really well, it's got that feel of a "night's almost over" song, particularly with the oh oh ohhhh oh part.

Then came the finish. I figured Flutes would be the highlight, and it certainly was, until this finish. If Hot Chip come near you, go and see them. Watching the tight-knit band all playing near each other as they rip through this song is spellbinding and they've struck upon something very, very special. They are certainly without doubt at the very top of their game live, and I think this cover takes them from "fucking awesome" into "something special" territory. The lights, the sheer noise, the crowd jumping and fist pumping and singing and screaming and cheering. Sarah going fucking nuts on the drums (she stands up and does a count-in beforehand).

And I tell you what... if there is a better way to start 2016 than watching a now-reunited LCD Soundsystem's sister band paying tribute to their best song... then I'd love to hear it. I'll fight you, because you won't win. It was a fucking tremendous show and everything I was hoping it would be.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

So Joe Goddard's debut solo album is a pretty big disappointment, it just sounds like an average compilation sadly.

This, however, makes up for it, also released this year

My fucking absolute boys are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New album A Bath Full of Ecstasy is out in June.

A-Bath-Full-of-Ecstasy-digital-packshot.jpg

01 Melody of Love
02 Spell
03 Bath Full of Ecstasy
04 Echo
05 Hungry Child
06 Positive
07 Why Does My Mind
08 Clear Blue Skies
09 No God

Hungry Child video (which is fkn hilarious):

The song is already stuck in my head. So goddamn excited.

Back
Top Bottom