Holy shit guys, Gilmour and Waters played together last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintagePunk

Blue Crack Distributor
YPJGu.jpg

David Gilmour: The Blog

Hoping Foundation

11 July 2010 at 18:48

Last night, Saturday 10 July, David performed at a charity event in aid of the Hoping Foundation (‘Hoping’ stands for ‘Hope and Optimism for Palestinians in the Next Generation’)… with one Roger Waters, who some of you might know.

There’s the photographic evidence, if you don’t believe me – from rehearsals.

The event, organised by Bella Freud and Karma Nabulsi, took place at Kidlington in Oxfordshire, England and raised a most welcome £350,000.

They performed four songs before 200 guests, accompanied by Guy Pratt (on bass and acoustic guitar), Harry Waters (on keyboards), Andy Newmark (on drums), Chester Kamen (on guitar) and Jonjo Grisdale (also on keyboards).

Songs were ‘To Know Him Is To Love Him’, which, I’m told, regularly featured in Pink Floyd sound checks way back when, followed by Pink Floyd favourites: ‘Wish You Were Here’, ‘Comfortably Numb’, and the one that got everybody singing along, ‘Another Brick in the Wall (Part Two)’.

Well, well, well… Bet you weren’t expecting that. Hoping, indeed.

Didn't they just play with eachother like four or five years ago at Live 8? I don't know, the reactions so far in here make it seem like this is the first time they'd gotten back together since the glory days.

Didn't they just play with eachother like four or five years ago at Live 8? I don't know, the reactions so far in here make it seem like this is the first time they'd gotten back together since the glory days.

Yeah, but that was the whole band, reuniting for a "higher purpose" and so on. In the interviews afterwards it was quite noticeable that the animosity between the two has not yet been completely cleared (although much better than before). To see them in amiable terms in an intimate acoustic setting is pretty shocking. In the best way possible.

^Yeah, and after Live 8, they both toured separately. David for On an Island, and Roger for...well, nothing. They both held tour rehearsals in buildings on the same grounds at overlapping times. On David's Remember That Night dvd from his tour, in the bonus features, it shows a brief clip of them meeting on the grounds of their respective rehearsal areas, and it was AWK-WARD times a billion. So even after Live 8, there was no love lost between them.

Maybe things have changed now, who knows. If they have buried the hatchet at least somewhat, it's too bad they waited till after Rick Wright was gone. :(

Yeah, but that was the whole band, reuniting for a "higher purpose" and so on.

This was, again, a charity benefit show. So, same thing.

Plenty of charity benefit shows around. Live 8 was once in a lifetime occasion (or twice if you feel all technical). Hardly the same thing. And they do seem much more comfortable around each other. Maybe a sign of things to come... though I doubt it.

The cynic in me says maybe they're both broke and figure a reunion tour would be good for their bank balances. :wink:

It was just the use of phrases like "The end is near..." and "Hell froze over." I understand those were partly (or mostly) in jest but, still, something seems way off about using those words for an event that, ummm, already happened just a few years ago.

Not a big deal. The reactions just seem like what they should have been for the first reunion at Live 8.

EDIT: Just looked it up and saw that Live 8 was in 2005. Jesus. I remember that day very vividly, watching all the sets, and it really really does not seem like it was 5 years ago. Seems much shorter than that. Time fucking flies, man.

Totally different. The former was a worldwide music spectacle set to raise millions, this was a low key thing playing for 200 people that raised 350,000 pounds. This wasn't reported until after the fact. Either of them could have easily written a cheque for that amount to the charity, just to not have to bother playing with the other. They had to want to do this.

The cynic in me says maybe they're both broke and figure a reunion tour would be good for their bank balances. :wink:

Ha, that would be my normal reaction too, but in this case, I think they're both bazillionaires. David sold one of his houses a few years ago, and donated the millions of pounds to charity, and when he did his tour in '06, it was a relatively short tour - in North America, he only played 10 shows in 5 cities, and they were small venues - the one I saw him in only seated just over 2,000. The two Toronto dates sold out in like a minute, I'm sure he could have played multiple nights in an arena. And Roger will be launching a big tour later this year that will extend into 2011. It's done quite well, sales-wise. So no, I don't think they're hurting for money.

Agreed.

It was just the use of phrases like "The end is near..." and "Hell froze over." I understand those were partly (or mostly) in jest but, still, something seems way off about using those words for an event that, ummm, already happened just a few years ago.

Not a big deal. The reactions just seem like what they should have been for the first reunion at Live 8.

Agreed.

Still cool though.

Another way it's different from Live 8 is that the entire band played that show. I can see the two of them setting aside their differences for a one off show, for the sake of the other two. This time, it was just them, they weren't doing it for anyone else but themselves.

I haven't seen any video surface, and if it wasn't filmed professionally, I'd be surprised if anything did. Only 200 people and raising that much money means that it was a pretty exclusive gig. I don't know, do the insanely wealthy film shows and post to You Tube?

I recognize that this was different than the whole band playing, and that this was on a smaller scale. But djerap's original point was that they did Live 8 for a "higher purpose" and I still say that this is the case here. They weren't hanging out on a Sunday in Gilmour's garage, it was a charity benefit. Sure it's good news but it's not earth-shattering.

I But djerap's original point was that they did Live 8 for a "higher purpose" and I still say that this is the case here.

You're still missing the point why I wrote that. But you can check VintagePunk's post that explains it. Still, let's not over-analyze this to death, it's cool that they played together.

Ha! I KNEW that something had changed in the Gilmour - Waters dynamic! (in case any of you didn't check out the link to other pics above, they seem downright congenial toward each other, as opposed to just sharing a stage the way they did at Live 8...)

Apparently, David is going to perform at one of Roger's upcoming shows.

The Daily Swarm - David Gilmour To Join Roger Waters On 'The Wall' Tour To Play 'Comfortably Numb'...

David Gilmour To Join Roger Waters On 'The Wall' Tour To Play 'Comfortably Numb'...
Facebook | Read Full Story >

Roger Waters The Wall Facebook page:

So here’s what happened. Last year, ‘The Hoping Foundation’ a charity that supports Palestinian refugee kids, (Hoping Foundation) put on a fund raiser at Ronnie Scott’s Club in London, the idea of which was to raise money by auctioning karaoke performances by various celebrities. David was there as a supporter and was moved to perform an impromptu rendition of George Gershwin’s ‘Summertime?’ which he performed aided and abetted by supermodel Kate Moss.

In the wake of that evening, someone, I think it was David himself, came up with this ‘Wouldn’t it be funny’, idea. What if he (David that is) were to sing the old Teddy Bears song ‘To Know Him Is To Love Him’ with me (Roger that is), what with us having been so famously at each other’s throats for years and years. Get it!!!! Anyway he E-mailed me with this suggestion and I loved it, so then it was just a question of juggling dates and deciding to do ‘Wish You Were Here’ and ‘Comfortably Numb’ to round out our little set. Or so I thought, until he sent me a number of very musical and eloquent demos of how we could do the song in two-part harmony. I listened with a sinking heart, knowing that David, with his superior vocal skills, could sing either part standing on his head, whilst I would have to search for a different key and then struggle through hours and hours of routining a performance that lay way outside my vocal comfort zone. To my eternal shame I bottled out and told Dave I would happily do ‘Wish You Were Here’ and ‘C. Numb’, but that ‘To Know him is to Love him’ was beyond me.

Some weeks passed with David cajoling me from time to time, telling me how easy it would be, but I clung resolutely to my fear of failure until one day he made one final entreaty. I quote “If you do ‘To Know Him Is To Love Him’ for The Hoping Foundation Gig, I’ll come and do ‘C. Numb’ on one of your Wall shows”. Well! You could have knocked me down with a feather. How fucking cool! I was blown away. How could I refuse such an offer. I couldn’t, there was no way. Generosity trumped fear. And so explaining that I would probably be shite, but if he didn’t mind I didn’t, I agreed and the rest is history. We did it, and it was fucking great. End of story. Or possibly beginning.

Roger

PS. Just heard from David, he will decide in due course which gig he wants to do, it will be a surprise!

Possibly the beginning, huh? Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom