Hockey - Mind Chaos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Now, I'll admit, I haven't heard this one yet, but I've been looking forward to it all year, and I'm about to get to it now. "Too Fake" has been one of my favorite songs this year, and I hate that I missed them at Lollapalooza.

YouTube - TOO FAKE Official Music Video

And from Allmusic:

Hockey's debut, Mind Chaos, was initially going to be released by Sony Records — the band even got as far as reworking some of its demos in the studio with producer Jerry Harrison — but the album's fate was left in limbo when the label dropped the band. Mind Chaos got a new lease on life when Hockey's songs made their way to BBC Radio 1 DJ Zane Lowe, whose championing of the strutting "Learn to Lose" helped earned the band another major-label deal. It's easy to hear why two big labels were interested in Mind Chaos; Hockey's angular basslines, chugging guitars, and washy keyboards call to mind tried and true, new wave-tinged acts like the Strokes, OK Go, and the Killers. For most of the album, they don't stray far from this style, and considering that they had been around for a while before Mind Chaos's 2009 release, they sound effective, but not especially fresh. Most of the band's character resides in Ben Grubin's raspy vocals, which lie somewhere between a young Rod Stewart and the Strokes' Julian Casablancas, and his surprisingly smart lyrics. He's nothing if not self-aware: Grubin sings about writing "a truthful song over an '80s groove" on the Cars-like "Song Away," the only Harrison-produced song that ended up on Mind Chaos' final version. Elsewhere, his hyper-literate tales of self-loathing posers and late-night intrigue give Hockey an appealingly witty personality. When they stretch out, they get intriguing, if mixed, results: "Work" reveals a slinkier, smokier side to the band, as well as a disco fetish, while "Preacher" travels from a gospel-infused ballad to blazing rock. Mind Chaos is an uneven but promising debut. Considering how much difficulty Hockey experienced in getting it out, it'll be interesting to hear what they do with a (hopefully) easier road ahead of them.

And now that I've heard it, I can safely say I love it. Yeah, it's ALL over the place...Mind CHAOS probably should've given a slight indication of that, but this is definitely something I want to listen to while driving. Oh to have a CD player in my car again.

These guys could be on the way up down here, 'Song Away' is getting some commercial atrention, and i do like that tune...

"Song Away" is easily my favorite thing on here now. Which says a lot because I really do love "Too Fake". I really did believe that Capitol was planning a huge launch of these guys. First they pulled the original version of the album off iTunes to revamp it and add tracks, then Too Fake was featured in a few adds over the summer, they played a few festivals, etc. But, nah, the album came out pretty quietly.

I've been wondering about this album. I absolutely love "Too Fake." Will have to look into picking up the whole record since people are digging it. :up:

I finally did get this album, and it's good. "Wanna Be Black" and "3am Spanish" are my two favorites after "Too Fake." I love the line in the last song where he says, "I only feel once a year. Psych! Everybody feels all the time." It just kinda comes outta nowhere and always makes me laugh.

Gotta say, listened to the album quite a few times now (upwards of 8-10), and there's only about 3 or 4 outstanding tracks. The rest just seems like overlong filler...bit disappointed.

i'm listening to this right now. it's enjoyable. nothing groundbreaking, but good.

I'd never heard of these guys until bono_212 mentioned them in her year-end favorites list. I kind of dig it - I heard one of their songs on the radio the other day, too.

I'd never heard of these guys until bono_212 mentioned them in her year-end favorites list. I kind of dig it - I heard one of their songs on the radio the other day, too.

bono_212 is a girl? sweet. i thought i ran out of girls to hit on here.

giggity.

Interesting. I just found them about a week ago on Spotify and bookmarked them cause I really liked em.

Definitely gonna take a listen if they've got some new material coming out.

I am curious to see what direction they take things in. Their debut was about 50 different genres all over the place and I'm hoping they're a bit more focused now.

This year is going to kick my ass. I can't believe how many albums I already love and how many more of my favorite bands still have stuff to come.

That being said, there is not a release date for this one yet, because they had to remaster a track, but now the album is done and there's a song.

It's not...good....the bass and drums and all that are right on with the sound I love, but uh...the vocals are weird as fuck.

https://www.facebook.com/hockeyband?v=app_178091127385

So check it out: Jerm and i were talking last night, and realized we wanted to try and craft an open letter to anyone out there who's been following us, or might be interested to find out the (behind the scenes) DEAL. Here's the story: It took us a long time to make this album. And it sounds different. We were freaking out trying to please everyone. Meet expectations. Our label and management at the time wanted a specific commercial sound from us. But every time we tried to deliver it we ended up stumbling upon new vibes and approaches that were actually alive and exciting to us. What can be done? Btwn 2010 and 2012 we continued to favor these unproven songs and methods, and saw it through to our version of the end. It's on this album. Wyeth IS… this time around we're on our own with it all, so if you're feeling it, buying the album or passing the music on to friends etc would be very much appreciated…
though it hasn't been in our nature to be the most outspoken group on social media, your support over the years has really meant a lot ! !
… Can't say where our music will go in the future, but for now we're exited to share something that, take it or leave it, is REAL. Thanks !!!!

So they got dropped from their label because they wouldn't make more songs for commercials?

Well, I have no idea what happened with these guys that there is suddenly NO publicity around them, label issues, etc, but the new album's pretty good.

It's not anywhere near Mind Chaos, though. But at least it's way more focused. There's really only one genre here, as opposed to the cacophony that was the debut. Very dance pop (Friendly Fires, Foals, what have you), but the production seems pretty horrible. It's not a very clean album, by any means.

Anyways, I'll definitely be giving it a few more listens, and I'm by no means disappointed, glad they didn't completely disappear, even if they basically have.

Back
Top Bottom