Hit Liftout's Top 40 Debut Albums. Also, feel free to chat and discuss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Just a liftout from a local paper over here, thought Top 40 debut albums would be a bit average.

Couldn't find a link, so here's a painstaking hand-written version. In brackets is the artist it inspired, plus the occasional comment from yours truly.

The 40
  1. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (Oasis)
  2. Jeff Buckley - Grace (Coldplay)
  3. The Strokes - Is This It? (Arctic Monkeys)
  4. Oasis - Definitely Maybe (Kasabian)
  5. Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (The Darkness)
  6. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (Guns 'n' Roses)
  7. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (Lily Allen)
  8. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising (Lupe Fiasco)
  9. The Doors - The Doors (INXS)
  10. Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (Eminem)
  11. Coldplay - Parachutes (Snow Patrol)
  12. ABC - The Lexicon of Love (George Michael)
  13. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks (Nirvana)
  14. Massive Attack - Blue Lines (Madonna)
  15. Kate Bush - The Kick Inside (Tori Amos)
  16. Skyhooks - Livin' in the 70s (Men at Work)
  17. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico (Bowie)
  18. Portishead - Dummy (Dr Dre)
  19. The Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust (Justice)
  20. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy (My Bloody Valentine)
  21. Doves - Lost Souls
  22. Neneh Cherry - Raw Like Sushi
  23. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
  24. The La's - The La's
  25. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Rattlesnakes
  26. Icehouse - Flowers
  27. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
  28. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
  29. Madonna - Madonna
  30. Arcade Fire - Funeral
  31. The Ramones - The Ramones
  32. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
  33. Daft Punk - Homework
  34. Crowded House - Crowded House
  35. The Smiths - The Smiths
  36. Hoodoo Gurus - Stoneage Romeos
  37. The Who - My Generation
  38. Australian Crawl - The Boys Light Up
  39. Kanye West - The College Dropout (with a comment saying - "almost half as amazing as he thinks it is" :lol:)
  40. The Beatles - Please Please Me

I've heard only seven of these. Thought a mention was probably deserved for Pink Floyd, Silent Alarm should've been higher, and Boy is pretty good. Not a bad list however!

Great Artists, but not-so-great debuts
Powderfinger - Parables for Wooden Ears
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
Paul Kelly - Talk
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Freaky Styley (I resent this, I love this album)
Radiohead - Pablo Honey ("Had Creep on it. And that's about it.")

Discuss, minions, discuss.

I find your lack of Murmur disturbing.

Also, I'm not so sure about the "artists it inspired" thing. That seems a bit silly. And I think you have to toss Patti Smith's Horses and Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted on there, at least.

On a more personal note, the omission of Pearl Jam's Ten is pretty glaring.

All that being said, though, I'm cool with a bunch of these selections. I absolutely love all the albums in the Top 8 of the list, although they probably don't all deserve to be that high. I'll stop talking now.

It's not my list, it was in the paper.

The man responsible did a blog at 12:30, I could give the link, but 90% of the posts in there were bemoaning the lack of Ten, and I think he confessed that he wasn't a big Pearl Jam fan, so that's why it wasn't on the list. A number of people also mentioned Murmur as well.

Personally I thought Piper at the Gates of Dawn would've been a shoo-in. I personally don't like it all that much, but it was groundbreaking, experimental as all fuck, and had a number of pervasive and pretty damn good tracks in Lucifer Sam, Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive.

16, 26, 34, 36 and 38 all Australian for those who don't recognise them.

Oh yeah, I knew it wasn't your list but now that I re-read my post I can totally see how you thought that...it was probably my stupid Star Wars reference that threw the whole thing off.

Anyways, I was wondering who the hell Icehouse was. Now I know.

Anyways, I was wondering who the hell Icehouse was. Now I know.

Icehouse are rad. Although when the album was released, they were called Flowers and the album was Icehouse. Then they realised that Flowers was a shonky name and would equal comparisons with a stupid frontman of a stupid band that makes stupid music the prettiest boy in pop 25 years later.

Icehouse are wicked.

So great to see Stone Roses getting some rare attention in AustraliA. That album is a masterpiece, absolute classic. I agree with it's positioning as well.

Unknown PLeasures should be higher, and where's Turn On The Bright Lights, and where is BoY, and where is Savage Garden's debut? For an Aussie list it should be listed.

Unknown PLeasures should be higher, and where's Turn On The Bright Lights, and where is BoY, and where is Savage Garden's debut? For an Aussie list it should be listed.

I'm trying not to agree with your last statement... but oh man, that album has some doozies.

Also, I'm impressed that 3 Foot High and Rising made it in the top 10 - I'm sure that De La Soul's recent tour here (which was ace, by the way) made an impact in that regard, but it's great to see it nonetheless.

Icehouse are rad. Although when the album was released, they were called Flowers and the album was Icehouse. Then they realised that Flowers was a shonky name and would equal comparisons with a stupid frontman of a stupid band that makes stupid music the prettiest boy in pop 25 years later.

Oh in the paper it said the band name was Flowers, and the album Icehouse, but I just figured it was a typo :reject:

Is Grace that good?

I own nine of those and have no major complaints with the list. Very surprised to see Neneh Cherry on there, though I do love the majority of that record.

Oh in the paper it said the band name was Flowers, and the album Icehouse, but I just figured it was a typo :reject:

Is Grace that good?

Haha, 'sall good.

Grace, as in Jeff Buckley? Yeah, it's great. Not what I always listen to and I think it's pretty overrated, but as far as the big 90's albums go, it's worth your time. I know you like Coldplay anyway, but don't be put off the fact that it supposedly influenced Coldplay.

Also, Freakey Styley was RHCP's second album. The first was self-titled.

And where the hell is the Clash's debut album? Yes, I know we could do this forever, but Nevermind the Bollocks is on there but The Clash is not?

Also, Freakey Styley was RHCP's second album. The first was self-titled.

And where the hell is the Clash's debut album? Yes, I know we could do this forever, but Nevermind the Bollocks is on there but The Clash is not?
Hey! That's a great point.

I just discovered that 'If You Want Me To Stay', one of my favourites from that record, is actually a Sly and Family Stone cover.

Back
Top Bottom