Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for the ridiculous question, but where does one actually find the new Chance album? Is it for sale somewhere?

Huh. They must have taken it down. I found an article saying you can listen to it for free on there, but maybe it's tied into Apple Music.

I mean, it's on youtube as one video, as a last resort. The album sounds like crap to begin with as far as sound quality goes, so you're not missing out on much.

I actually kind of love the new DJ Khaled/Drake song.

But I cannot for the life of me figure out what Khaled does other than yell obnoxiously throughout "his" songs. He doesn't produce the beat. He doesn't rap or sing on the song. What the fuck does he do?

I thought he did produce the beats? I don't know. I just love him so much anyway for his Snapchat. Good lord, it's not always great but when he's on a roll on that thing it's so joyous and funny and life affirming.

If you look at the credits on Wikipedia he's never actually credited for the production. I don't know why I still follow him on snapchat, but I do. He's ridiculous. He must be so annoying. And have like 10 phones.

Well, if you think about his Snapchat story on an average day it probably amounts to what, like 5 or 10 minutes of footage? So he's showing us 5 or 10 minutes of his entire day. That's not much at all. Maybe he's super chill for the better part of the day and not so "on" all the time. We just don't see it.

I've missed it completely then. Which albums do you recommend?

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

chance the rapper, kanye west, schoolboy q, anderson.paak and kendrick lamar have all released amazing albums in the first half or so of the year. i highly recommend every one of them and i'm sure i'm forgetting a few.

don't bother with drake.

Kendrick was the only one I could think of. I also loved the Kanye and Anderson Paak albums. I've been wanting to listen to Chance's album but it's frustrating that nothing of his is on streaming services. Torrenting it is then.

I checked and it's on Google Music too. It must be recent because I've checked several times.

2016 has been OK. Kendrick, Open Mike Eagle, Kanye, Denzel Curry is about it for me. Q and YG were pretty good.

Not saying 2015 was better when there's still half the year to go, but definitely no TPABs yet.

Last edited:
Coloring Book wasn't really my thing. Sounds like the kind of rap that would play at a church youth group.

At least Chance has his own lane and he's not trying to be Drake or Kendrick like everyone else.

Last edited:
this track came up on shuffle today for the first time in forever. i fucking love it, the beat is so great. one of pac's most underrated imo.

edit:
Coloring Book wasn't really my thing. Sounds like the kind of rap that would play at a church youth group.

At least Chance has his own lane and he's not trying to be Drake or Kendrick like everyone else.

that's fair. i thought it was awesome after about 3 or 4 listens, musically it's phenomenal, and chance's skill and technique has improved exponentially since acid rap. the unending religious stuff wore a little thin though (being an atheist) to the point where i haven't listened to it much in the last couple weeks. i would still put it in the top 10 or so of 2016 but not top 3 with kendrick and kanye anymore.

Last edited:
As an atheist the only track that gets close to that for me is "How Great" but then it's got J Elec and it's redeemed.

Coloring Book is miles away the most satisfying album I've heard from 2016 thus far.

?? I find it odd that music about god would even bother an atheist, unless you're an arsehole atheist like Richard Dawkins or something. So much of my favourite music has a deep connection to religion - U2, Sufjan, a great deal of hip-hop. I'm an atheist myself and I find it utterly beautiful and uplifting; Ultralight Beam is one of the best songs of recent years and I find it moving despite being an atheist. I find this really odd. Weird.

As for Colouring Book I love All We Got, No Problem, Same Drugs, All Night, Finish Line/Drown and Blessings. The rest I can take or leave (aside from Mixtape, which suuuuucks). I like Acid Rap more.

?? I find it odd that music about god would even bother an atheist, unless you're an arsehole atheist like Richard Dawkins or something. So much of my favourite music has a deep connection to religion - U2, Sufjan, a great deal of hip-hop. I'm an atheist myself and I find it utterly beautiful and uplifting; Ultralight Beam is one of the best songs of recent years and I find it moving despite being an atheist. I find this really odd. Weird.

not at all, it's just a very recurring musical theme that i don't identify with. i'm not bothered by it. it just doesn't incite any emotion, and it's pretty frequent, so as the album goes along i find myself getting tired of it. it's no different than a hillbilly country album, as a city kid i could appreciate the music but ultimately i wouldn't identify with it as much, and get tired of hearing farm songs quickly enough.

:shrug:

ultralight beam is chance's best verse ever, and my favourite track on the life of pablo, for what it's worth.

As for Colouring Book I love All We Got, No Problem, Same Drugs, All Night, Finish Line/Drown and Blessings. The rest I can take or leave (aside from Mixtape, which suuuuucks). I like Acid Rap more.

i have the same list except swap blessings for summer friends. i like acid rap more too, but chance's raps are technically superior on coloring book. of course they are with a few years' practice.

Last edited:
I'm Christian and find his newer stuff a bit cloying. It all comes down to execution.

Most people don't even notice that Good Kid Maad City is loaded with religious themes. I'm surprised that Kendrick came out of that without receiving more criticism, but it actually drew people in.

cloying! that's the word i was looking for. yes, i find it gets kinda cloying as the album goes along.

gkmc's religious content really only applies to the skits, though. off the top of my head i don't think there is anything explicitly religious/spiritual in the music itself. and in any case those are scenes of a narrative, so they serve a purpose. in chance's case it's more just general "praise god!" stuff, your "church youth group rap" comment fits pretty well for most of the songs.

in any case, i think chance 3 is a really good album. i'm going to listen to it again this weekend for sure. it's just got a vibe i don't really get 100% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom