Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
listened to Madvillany at work today. it's crazy how the production hasn't aged at all. in fact, it's more at home with today's rap production than ever before. an album truly ahead of its time.

and, yeah, I used to be *the* biggest Usher stan until after Confessions (side note: those abs of his didn't hurt how I felt about him when I was 14 haha). I have that on now and it's still a solid album...might have to throw on 8701 and My Way after this.

listened to Madvillany at work today. it's crazy how the production hasn't aged at all. in fact, it's more at home with today's rap production than ever before. an album truly ahead of its time.

and, yeah, I used to be *the* biggest Usher stan until after Confessions (side note: those abs of his didn't hurt how I felt about him when I was 14 haha). I have that on now and it's still a solid album...might have to throw on 8701 and My Way after this.

Seriously. It's so fucking addictive. Every listen sounds fresh, almost as if I'm hearing it for the first time. It's essentially perfect as a whole.

U Got It Bad was probably my favourite song for a whole year, up until Without Me dropped.

Seriously. It's so fucking addictive. Every listen sounds fresh, almost as if I'm hearing it for the first time. It's essentially perfect as a whole.

U Got It Bad was probably my favourite song for a whole year, up until Without Me dropped.

mannn "u got it bad" is so good. classic Usher. i have a very soft spot for "you make me wanna..." and "my way" too.

Kevin Gates's newest is pretty good. Think you'll like it if you dug Luca Brasi.

oh yeah, i listened to it the day it came out. i was mostly wondering if anyone else had listened to it, so i'm glad you did! it's not as good as Luca Brasi, but so far, i like "movie," "bet i'm on it," "arm and hammer," and "wit it"

Amazing. Great album.

Really like Madlib's blue note album and the album he did with J Dilla

You persons ever listen to his younger brothers beats? Oh no?

i've listened to some of oh no's beats...they're alright, but they don't strike me as consistently as madlib's.

oh just some hippie who's been in ghost mode for way too long

good to see you! and you'll be happy to know that i pay for far more music than i used to :wink:

oh just some hippie who's been in ghost mode for way too long

good to see you! and you'll be happy to know that i pay for far more music than i used to :wink:

Good to see you as well!

So you buy one or two songs a year now?

Heyoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

hahahahaha nah i did spotify premium for awhile and switched to beats music soon after they came out, plus i buy albums on occasion. this year, that's been 7 or 8 itunes preorders. not perfect, but like i said, i'm getting better!

I think that's actually comparable to the amount of albums I've bought this year, so I can't complain.

Late as fuck, but I want to give some shine to one of the funniest diss tracks I've ever heard

Lil B - T-Shirt and BUDDENS (JOE BUDDENS DISS) - YouTube

Losing all your hair Joe, think you need rogaine
Joe Budden, Joe booty, what the fuck is yo name
Shut the fuck up with those depressing ass songs
It's the summertime, get some fucking pussy and go home

Last edited:
I have completed the entire rateyourmusic top 100 for hip hop. Moving on to jazz next.

Takeaway points:

-Hip hop is a great genre
-Pete Rock is the man

I have completed the entire rateyourmusic top 100 for hip hop. Moving on to jazz next.

Takeaway points:

-Hip hop is a great genre
-Pete Rock is the man

had to take a look at that list and wow is southern rap underrepresented there. criminal, really, if you ask me. it's also funny to me that a ton of the albums were from nyc when once you get past the "classics," the city's been struggling to put out a relevant artist with the nyc sound for years and years now (asap sounds more like houston, so they don't really count). gotta cling onto those so-called golden years of hip hop i guess

there were some nice surprises on the list though, like trick daddy's www.thug.com

i'm seeing bun b (and kirko bangz, whose songs i don't think i've ever heard) on saturday. can't wait to see a legend in action though and i hope he does some ugk songs alongside his solo stuff.

:lol:

oh man why did I actually go back and look at that thread for a few minutes?? it's everything I can't stand now about one-sided "real hip hop" discussions thrown into a single thread.

I bought my ticket to see future today! very excited to see him do a full set because I've only seen him open for drake.

Cass I saw a British comedian last week called Doc Brown. He used to be a rapper but has become a comedian and actor, he's worked with Gervais a bit. Anyway part of his show is about hip-hop and how he has turned on the genre. He's got some pretty funny rapping ad-libs, but he entirely dismisses modern hip-hop, lumping everything in together, using the guns-drugs-bitches-money etc arguments, and I sat there so conflicted, because he's a funny comedian but for a bloke who tells the crowd he's open-minded he's damn ignorant about modern hip-hop.

Cass I saw a British comedian last week called Doc Brown. He used to be a rapper but has become a comedian and actor, he's worked with Gervais a bit. Anyway part of his show is about hip-hop and how he has turned on the genre. He's got some pretty funny rapping ad-libs, but he entirely dismisses modern hip-hop, lumping everything in together, using the guns-drugs-bitches-money etc arguments, and I sat there so conflicted, because he's a funny comedian but for a bloke who tells the crowd he's open-minded he's damn ignorant about modern hip-hop.

boooo on those arguments! you know my feelings on all of that though haha. it's too bad when somebody you enjoy holds views that conflict so much with your own or do something gross...i love twitter, but sometimes it's difficult in that regard when you find out somebody you admire is sexist or racist or whatever.

Know what you mean. Unrelated but I just found out that one of my favourite up-and-coming comedians was convicted of belting the shit out of some stranger at a bar. His show's about how he took a year off booze, but he doesn't mention that the catalyst for that decision was being blind drunk and belting someone.

eesh that's rough. yeah, one of the timberwolves got arrested for domestic assault a couple days ago...he allegedly choked his girlfriend until she thought she was dying.

just talked to the dj who's going on before bun b tomorrow night and he's doing a history of the south set complete with a crunk section. CAN'T. WAIT.

Back
Top Bottom