Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
he passed away on halloween and we're only finding about about it now? i'm assuming that his family wanted some time to grieve privately first, which is understandable. i'm just surprised it was kept totally secret for this time.

in any case, it's a sad loss for hip hop. one of the most technically skilled MC's of all time. RIP.

Last edited:
I thought you'd have more to say, Dave, I think it was you who originally turned me on to Madvillainy (also might have been LM or iYup but I think it was your enthusiasm that got me).

The circumstances are very DOOM. I actually really like that it came about this way, months ago, and his family was able to keep it private that whole time - NO ONE in the game knew, judging by the outpouring of grief from some incredible artists.

Flying Lotus / Brainfeeder is doing a deep dive into MF DOOM clips, videos and songs on Twitch right now, I've got a lot more to learn about this man, I only know Madvillainy, it's fucking sick so far, dating back to the late 80s https://www.twitch.tv/timeboy

You only know Madvillainy? Good Lord, you're going to have fun. He's got a good half dozen essential albums.

I listened to Operation Doomsday and Vaudeville Villain (my second favorite) today, both totally excellent.

I thought you'd have more to say, Dave, I think it was you who originally turned me on to Madvillainy (also might have been LM or iYup but I think it was your enthusiasm that got me).

The circumstances are very DOOM. I actually really like that it came about this way, months ago, and his family was able to keep it private that whole time - NO ONE in the game knew, judging by the outpouring of grief from some incredible artists.

Flying Lotus / Brainfeeder is doing a deep dive into MF DOOM clips, videos and songs on Twitch right now, I've got a lot more to learn about this man, I only know Madvillainy, it's fucking sick so far, dating back to the late 80s https://www.twitch.tv/timeboy

the last couple of weeks have been especially hectic for me so i haven't really had much time to post. i usually don't have all that much to say when someone passes away anyhow, at least nothing that a million others haven't said/won't say more eloquently than i can.

i will say that it was one of those other two you named that got me into madvillainy first though so i won't take full credit. but glad that my joy at discovering it also inspired you to check it out, it's one of my top 5 hip hop albums and basically essential listening for anyone who wants to understand the genre.

when i have a chance i'll check out your writeup.

Most of what I know about hip-hop comes from LM so it's likely him that made the initial recommendation.

Some words on Madvillainy. Would appreciate any thoughts if you read. A true all-timer.

https://ramblingsfromdjp.wordpress.com/2021/01/02/when-hes-at-the-mic-you-dont-go-next/

this is a really good writeup. i relate hard to the part where you associate the tracks to specific places - for me listening to madvillainy always brings back the first summer i moved to toronto, where i would alternate between madvillainy, good kid maad city, and toro y moi biking around basically at random on long rides exploring this huge-ass city. bistro in particular brings back a great memory of pausing to smoke a joint under a big shady tree on the beach by lake ontario on a hazy hot sunny day, just before turning to head back home.

if anyone else who loves the album is listening you should give this a read :up:

Last edited:
I checked it out for what I think is the first time this week and loved it. Nice write up too, cobbler. I hear you on walking around the block so that you could finish the album before going to work.

this is a really good writeup. i relate hard to the part where you associate the tracks to specific places - for me listening to madvillainy always brings back the first summer i moved to toronto, where i would alternate between madvillainy, good kid maad city, and toro y moi biking around basically at random on long rides exploring this huge-ass city. bistro in particular brings back a great memory of pausing to smoke a joint under a big shady tree on the beach by lake ontario on a hazy hot sunny day, just before turning to head back home.

if anyone else who loves the album is listening you should give this a read :up:

Thanks heaps for the kind words man :) listening to Bistro slightly high sounds amazing haha.

I checked it out for what I think is the first time this week and loved it. Nice write up too, cobbler. I hear you on walking around the block so that you could finish the album before going to work.

Thanks man :) glad you enjoyed the record - does it stick in your head?

Seems to be official now though. AP is reporting on it.

RIP DMX :( He had such a powerful voice and delivery

damn, i was hoping he would pull through but also knew realistically that the prognosis was really poor.

i was about 2 or 3 years too young to get into big and pac when they were alive, so DMX was really one of the first rappers i noticed and became a fan of, much to the chagrin of my mom. RIP.

I honestly don't know a single track of his other than the ubiquitous Party Up which was everywhere in the early 00s.

RIP.

The new Billy Woods album is fantastic.

Dusty, nasty, atmospheric and brilliantly written album from one of the best going.

I was going to post about that album. The samples on a lot of those tracks are fantastic, so outside the box.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom