Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I MADE 100 THOU THEN I FREAKED IT

I MADE 500 THOU THEN I FREAKED IT

Fuck integrity, fuck your pedigree, fuck your feelings, fuck your culture
Fuck your mom, fuck your family, fuck your drive
Fuck your land, fuck your children, fuck your wives
Who am I? Not your father, not your brother
Not your reason, not your future
Not your comfort, not your reverence, not your glory
Not your heaven, not your angel, not your spirit
Not your message, not your freedom
Not your people, not your neighbor
Not your baby, not your equal
Not the title y'all want me under
All hail King Killmonger

JWLRnTe.gif

That album is not coming out lol

But, you know, if it does...in the same year as Bandana...I just don't know, man.

so this is a really cool time capsule of hip hop history:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/alt.rap

https://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/8ay0fk/hiphop_forum_that_dates_back_to_1993/

the alt.rap newsgroup that goes back to 1993. there's so much gold in this. i'll just copy the reddit post:

Link is here. Reading this feels often like hearing somebody say "yo I just heard about this cool new underground band, it's called the Beatles you should check it out".

Some notable quotes:

About MMLP on the day it came out: "This will be the biggest selling hip hop album of all time"
In 1996: "What could Canadians possibly rap about? Degrassi High?"
About Nas: "I heard his next album is supposed to be called "Still Illmatic"... when's he gonna learn he ain't NEVER gonna reproduce that ish? whatever... At least he should call it 'Stillmatic'"
"When is Dre going to make a new album? It’s been 3 years. I know many people aren’t a bit interested, but I am, I like his shit. And also, I was checking around, and I haven’t heard anywhere that he isn’t writing his own texts, like I heard somewhere around here. How do you know it and how can you be sure?"
About Illmatic: "This is a good album. This is a great album. This is probably the best debut to come out of New York since Black Moon’s “Enta Da Stage.” BUT, this is not the classic everybody’s been calling…for sure, everyone will be hypin' this album and 12" of the singles will get mad play. But a classic? A classic debut? Like “People’s Instinctive Travels…” or “3 Feet High and Rising?” Naw man. Like “Criminal Minded” or “Paid In Full?” C'mon."
Or some people were horribly wrong too:

"JA RULE = NEXT TUPAC"
"And also heard new shit from Snoop Dogg Dont know the name of it but it went something like 'Rolling down the street, Smoking Endo, Sipping on Pils'"
people in 1995 were saying Wu Tang were “commercial trash for suburban white kids" HOW???
Anticipating Biggie's Ready To Die: "personally i think it wont live up to the hype and he will be forgotten"
You can find Illmatic reviews on the day it came out, threads announcing the death of Tupac - and people being dicks about it: “hahahaha who cares” and “shut up, he was still human.. show some respect!!!”. Also, people were racist af.

Edit: Yes I know Illmatic is a classic, hence I could have put the quote at the 'horribly wrong'-section. However, he still thought it was a great album and by comparison I don't think there were that many people calling GKMC or TPAB a classic on the day it came out. Sooo, he wasn't correct, but also not "horribly wrong". More like a 'notable quote'

i've been digging around in this for an hour now. it's crazy to see some of the ridiculous opinions and wild predictions that turned out to be true.

i'm in desperate need of some new hip hop artists. pls help
Brockhampton
Denzel Curry
Milo
Open Mike Eagle
Injury Reserve
Noname
Maxo Kream
Kate Tempest
Rapsody
Saba
Nickelus F
Billy Woods
Ka
Quelle Chris
J.I.D
Jay IDK
MIKE
Oddisee
Wiki
Doppelgangaz
Sicko Mobb
Joey Purp

I listened to Illmatic a ton at some point in my life. The thing is, I’m not sure when this was. I listened to it for what I thought would be the first time through the other day, and was rather surprised to find I knew about 1/2 the lyrics to 2/3 of the songs on it.

Apparently getting old is trying to fill in some glaring holes in your musical knowledge only to find they weren’t actually holes in the first place.

The new Earl Sweatshirt album is money, though it is over nearly as soon as it starts. I love the haziness of the guy's production.

Can't believe the last post in this thread is me writing about Earl Sweatshirt almost a year ago. But now I'm going to do it again. His new EP is fantastic.

he released a couple of pretty good singles shortly before the album so he still has it in him and i think that if he actually takes this all to heart he has the potential to come back from this.

but yeah i wouldn't even go see him for free at this point. it wouldn't be worth sitting through all the new songs and preaching just to hear him do one or two tracks i like off acid rap.

That site also does a weird thing where they announce something for pre-order and then never issue it. It happened with an edition of Beach House's Bloom that was supposed to be on this awesome-looking indigo/purple vinyl.

Chance The Rapper has been sued by his long-term manager, until earlier this year, Pat Corcoran. In a lawsuit filed with the courts in Illinois earlier this week, Corcoran accuses his former client of ignoring his professional advice, then blaming him for the mixed response from fans to 2019 album ‘The Big Day’ and subsequent lacklustre ticket sales, firing him in April this year, and then refusing to pay commissions that are owed.

Much of Corcoran’s lawsuit tells the story of how Chance The Rapper, real name Chancelor Bennett, achieved huge success despite declining to work within the major label system, rising to fame as a truly independent artist in control of all his rights and brand.

That was the result of the rapper’s partnership with Corcoran, the lawsuit says, outlining the manager’s role in building the Chance The Rapper brand and business, and negotiating innovative partnerships, such as that with Apple Music around the release of 2016 mixtape ‘Coloring Book’.

According to the lawsuit, Corcoran’s working partnership with Bennett remained strong until early 2019. Then, in February that year, the rapper announced, without consulting or informing his manager, that he would release his first studio album proper in July that year.

“Given the significant amount of work, care and attention needed to produce an album”, the lawsuit goes on, “Corcoran expressed serious concern with the projected release date Bennett had unilaterally announced for the album”.

With the rapper also getting married the following month, the manager reckoned there wasn’t enough time to create, record and prepare an album.

That unrealistic timeline, coupled with “unproductive and undisciplined studio sessions”, resulted in a “freestyle-driven product of sub-part quality”. ‘The Big Day’ was by no means a flop, and garnered some good reviews, but was not as popular as previous releases, especially among the rapper’s fanbase. That less than enthusiastic fan response to the record, Corcoran claims, directly resulted in lacklustre ticket sales for the follow-on tour.

It was poor ticket sales, the lawsuit alleges, that resulted in the tour being postponed and then cancelled entirely. All of this, Corcoran argues, was the result of Bennett increasingly ignoring his advice, instead allowing his business affairs to be managed by his father and brother, Ken and Taylor Bennett.

The lawsuit states: “Instead of acknowledging the numerous distractions and artistic compromises that inevitably resulted from time wasted in the studio, all of which contributed to a lacklustre album evidenced by historically low ticket sales, Bennett ultimately blamed Corcoran for the judgement rendered by his fanbase rather than accept that his own lack of dedication had doomed the project”.

Bennett continued to ignore Corcoran’s advice – which by this point was to step back from the public eye and regroup – instead agreeing to various media appearances booked by his father and brother. “These appearances served only to further exacerbate the failure of ‘The Big Day’”, Corcoran reckons.

All of this led to the Bennett family announcing on 27 Apr this year that Corcoran’s services were being terminated. That in turn kicked off the classic sacked manager contract dispute, with Corcoran seeking to enforce his oral agreement with the rapper, which pays the manager 15% of his client’s net income.

According to Corcoran more than $3 million is now owing. He also wants to enforce an “industry standard” sunset clause, so that he continues to earn commissions for three more years. Bennett Senior has apparently offered a one-off lump sum payment of $350,000.

“Despite months of outreach and efforts at reconciliation, Bennett has refused to pay Corcoran the amounts Corcoran is fairly owed under the parties’ long-standing agreement and well-settled course of conduct”, the lawsuit concludes.

Corcoran and his company Pat The Manager are suing for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, and violation of the Illinois Sales Representative Act.

https://www.mmgnews.com/chance-the-rapper-sued-for-3-million-in-commission-by-former-manager/

basically proving the rumours that he's just surrounded himself with yesmen lately. he can still rap but this gives me very little hope of seeing a proper comeback from him.

I know I'm pretty late to the party here, but I think Black Thought is becoming like an all-time favourite rapper for me. His solo stuff of late has been fucking fire.

Back
Top Bottom