Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. It's been a pretty slow start for the genre, unfortunately. Indie rock has been carrying things, which is a strange turn.

Migos, Jonwayne, Stormzy and Future have all garnered great reviews from what I've seen :shrug:

Best songs on We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service:

We the People
Conrad Tokyo
Black Spasmodic
Enough!!

I don't think I'll ever have an active enough social life to find use for Migos or Future.

That Jonwayne album sounds promising, maybe I'll check it out tonight or tomorrow. Also, I neglected to mention the new Bedwetter (Lil Ugly Mane alias) album, but I think I just blocked it out because it's by a rapper called Bedwetter. It's pretty good. Not really good though, which is what iYup asked for.

Last edited:
I love all of those songs. My list would be:

We the People
Solid Wall of Sound
Dis Generation
Conrad Tokyo

However, the warm, dreamy beats of Whateva Will Be and Black Spasmodic have sent me on a journey for dancehall-influenced hip hop. I will let you know what I discover.

The more and more I think about it the more I think ScHoolboy Q put out the best hip-hop album last year. Blank Face is fucking fire. Anyone who slept on that needs to seek it out immediately.

But Untitled Unmastered, Atrocity Exhibition, The Life of Pablo, We Got It From Here, Imperial, Honor Killed the Samurai, Still Brazy, Telefone and so many other great projects dropped last year. Blank Face was really good, but it would only scrape the bottom of my top 10 hip hop records last year.

Q is pretty whatever for me in general though, partially because he doesn't bother editing his albums. 40-50 minutes of Groovy Tony/Eddie Kane and John Muir level tracks would make me a fan.

Say am I supposed to be dead or doing life in prison?
Just another dummy caught up in the system
Unruly hooligan who belongs in Spofford
Verse getting that degree at Stanford or Harvard
Threatened by my work ethic, the way I speak, yo
Should I be mentally weak, verse being Malik? Yo
Should I be trapped in the trap? Would you prefer that?
Fourth grade reading level but he knows how to rap
Are you amused by our struggles? The English that's broken?
The weed that I'm smoking? The guns that I'm toting?
The drugs that I'm selling? No need for improvement
Fuck you and who you think I should be, forward movement

? ? ? ?

I am absolutely, 100% naming my next dog Phife Dawg. Or just Phife, as not to put too fine a point on things.

Yes. Excited to hear that tonight.

The Jonwayne album did turn out to be very good, but it's Packs by Your Old Droog that is currently my hip hop AOTY. Listen to this fucking heat right here:

I love all of those songs. My list would be:

We the People
Solid Wall of Sound
Dis Generation
Conrad Tokyo

However, the warm, dreamy beats of Whateva Will Be and Black Spasmodic have sent me on a journey for dancehall-influenced hip hop. I will let you know what I discover.

I stumbled across a special LP of this album on ebay for a good price - apparently they sold a limited run of promos at a pop-up store in LA, numbered in a plain white sleeve. The really cool thing is the song titles look they were hand-written on the vinyl center.

I decided to revisit My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy now that I'm a lot better versed in hip-hop than I was when it came out. I'm conflicted about this album. The instrumentals are great to excellent throughout, but they get dulled by pretty much every song being 2 or 3 three times longer than it needs to be. So Appalled, for example, is great at first but is also fucking interminable. Runaway is the worst offender in that category. Listening to it immediately after DAMN also puts its lyrical shortcomings into some unflattering light - frankly I don't know how someone could come away from it feeling remotely sympathetic toward Kanye. All that said, Monster is a total banger that actually earns its runtime several times over. Devil in a New Dress is another standout. Probably an unpopular take on the album but what the hell.

While I'm at it, here's my take on Kanye: great producer, decent rapper, bad lyricist.

I agree on Runaway, but nothing else. The radio edit of Runaway is all you need. Everything else about it is perfect. Devil in a New Dress is my fav. Incredible song.

He isn't a bad lyricist though. I'm not sure how you can listen to a track like Gorgeous and come away from it thinking he's not very good. That's an astounding song, the lyrics, the flow, the delivery is top-notch.

So Appalled is on my Kanye Rushmore. He could've added two verses and I'd be ok with that.

Yeah, So Appalled is dope as all hell. And it's so funny that in the space of two tracks Jay Z both his one of his worst verses (Monster) and one of his best (So Appalled).

Two tracks our so far, Mic Jack is a fucking banger that has me amped as fuck. Kill Jill is a bit more run-of-the-mill, but still good. Big Boi's verse is way better than Killer Mike's.

Jay Z new album 4:44 out June 30. Given he hasn't released a good (solo, not counting Watch the Throne) song in nearly eight years and hasn't released a good album in nearly 15, I have no hopes for it and expect it will completely bland and already years irrelevant the moment it drops.

Back
Top Bottom