Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the longer shit goes on the more my opinion of lil wayne shifts from "terrible" to "way ahead of his time", as much as i don't really want to admit it.

this just instantly became my favourite mashup album of all time. it's orders of magnitude better than the grey album:

examples?? I still only really like one song (Mr Carter) but then there's some stuff here and there that I don't outright hate.

i don't have specific songs to point out. but if you listen to current hip hop his enormous influence should be pretty obvious. in both beats and flow. not to say that he himself is particularly great (tho his verse in no problem is awesome), but his sound has been crafted upon in the last few years by top artists. there's no denying that.

I love the instrumentals on the songs I have heard from Atrocity Exhibition, but I just can't handle Danny's voice.

One of the best albums of the year for sure. I've gotten used to his voice and love it now, I had the same roadblock for Kendrick too.

This thread has been about Coloring Book for ages but Atrocity Exhibition is at least 50 times better.

Last edited:
Maybe if you dislike Danny's voice so much that you can't stomach any of the songs, but I think Really Doe alone can safely be considered one of the best tracks to come out this year. AE as a whole, the production, structure, themes, rapping, all of it is on another level from most of what's come out this year. It wraps you up and doesn't let go.

Last edited:
Have you listened to any Black Milk? If you enjoy the beat on there (which he was responsible for), his last two albums are in a similar vein. Detroit raised and heavily influenced by Dilla.

I have not, but speaking of Dilla, NxWorries (Knxwledge & the amazing Anderson .Paak) has a great record out.

Back onto Chance tho. I will not abide your not-so-subtle sniping LM. :wink: I think he is utterly brilliant and I am so, so glad he is hitting the big time. Colouring Book is far from perfect, there's at least three hip-hop albums this year that are better, but fuck, it's about so much more than just that record. He's authoring a movement. A movement of spiritual positivity, self-help and community that reaches me just as much as reaches the devoutly religious. It's fucking beautiful. And he is so genuine. You can see in his eyes that he's still just a wide-eyed teen, amazed at the life he's living. He's a superstar now but look how he fucking reacts when Beyonce says hello to him - he's just like a crazed fan!!

Same reaction when Lil Wayne adlibs about Ryan Lochte in the Ellen performance of No Problem:

And then you've got this, which for my money is up there with the absolute best ever live TV performances.

The joy is fucking infectious.

:heart::heart::heart:

One of Chance's friends, Saba, just dropped his debut album. Everyone needs to listen to it.

I wonder how regularly Jermone Bettis gets shout-outs in hip-hop songs, like he does on this Danny Brown album. I imagine not too often.

Damn, "Lost" is one of the better hip-hop songs I have heard in a while. Whatever the sample is in there is fucking haunting.

Dance in the Water has my favorite sample on the album. That track sounds like a pagan ritual sacrifice, but it's about shaking your ass. Amazing.

Ain't It Funny sounds like a beat that Tom Waits considered using but ultimately found too jarring.

Wouldn't say Tribe is AOTY quality but it's definitely better than I was expecting. Really good shit.

Back
Top Bottom