Hip-Hop Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
93.5 KDAY. It was rush hour and they were doing mashups. Got to hear about two minutes of it before they moved on to something far less exciting.

The hip hop stations in Chicago just play Drake and generic banger shit all day.

oct 28

f40a1fae.jpg

01 Jeopardy
02 Oh My Darling Don't Cry
03 Blockbuster Night Part 1
04 Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck) [ft. Zack de la Rocha]
05 All My Life
06 Lie, Cheat, Steal
07 Early [ft. Boots]
08 All Due Respect [ft. Travis Barker]
09 Love Again (Akinyele Back)
10 Crown [ft. Diane Coffee]
11 Angel Duster

Mos Def: Black on Both Sides.

Loved this one. Mr. Def has great flow and intellect to spare: professorial rather than preachy. Def is clearly the star here (except on the track where Busta Rhymes guests and blows the place up), so the instrumentation is not as imaginative as it was on something like Madvillainy, but his lyrics are almost always captivating, preventing the many tracks from running together. That said, 72 minutes is a damn long album - I don't think it would have suffered much from the absence of Ms Fat Booty, for example - but overall this thing was a fantastic.

Just for future reference, he's usually referred to as Mos when his name is shortened, not Def. Mighty Mos is one of his most common nicknames. Just in case you want to sound cool. And, now that I think about it, you've clearly established over the years that you don't. So never mind. Carry on.

I don't think it would have suffered much from the absence of Ms Fat Booty

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Stoked you in enjoyed it - one of my five favourite hip-hop albums. I actually think it's one of the rare hip-hop albums whose lengthy run time feels earned. I was actually surprised to see it's 72 minutes long. Mathematics is the best track if you ask me.
But seriously, Ms Fat Booty is one of the album's - and hip-hop's - best tracks.

But seriously, Ms Fat Booty is one of the album's - and hip-hop's - best tracks.

I guess it just felt out of place to me. Maybe there's something there thematically that I missed the first time around. Anyway, I'll be looking into more stuff from this guy - probably The Ecstatic next.

now I'm lookin at her skeptically
cos baby girl got all the right weaponry

I would say go to this before The Ecstatic

kweli-blackstar.jpg

Kweli is also a very impressive lyricist and MC

I've heard Black Star, actually on your recommendation, LM. Very good as well, though I preferred Black on Both Sides.

Nice. I'll be seeing Common next month, I better get into his music and fast.

Sweet new RTJ2 track, and the bonus releases are fucking hilarious: EL-P + KILLER MIKE = RUN THE JEWELS - Merch. T-shirts. Hoodies. Video. Discography. Soundcloud. Release Date. Tour. Stream. – Daylight Curfew

The We Are Gordon Ramsey Package*:

Run The Jewels will self produce a new episode of Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsey, with Mike and El both playing Gordon Ramsey. We will travel to a restaurant with you of your choice, completely uninvited, and attempt to force them to change their menu. All the while verbally abusing and insulting the entire staff to hilarious effect. Also includes:

RTJ2 4xLP
RTJ2 T-shirt
RTJ2 CD
Signed Poster
Stickers

T-shirt Info: 100% combed and ring-spun cotton, 30 single 4.2 oz/yd², 142 g/m². Shoulder taping.

Honestly I haven't really dug all that much this year. Not even Piñata has grabbed me, so I guess ScHoolboy Q's Oxymoron at this point in time.

I would've liked Hell Can Wait a lot more if Spotify didn't only have the censored version.

It's Shabazz and Madgibbs for me, then everything else. At least until RTJ2 drops.

Back
Top Bottom