Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Killer Mike has clearly been listening to shitty early 80s hardcore for inspiration. Who knew?

The first time I heard it I probably did LOL. When he started saying Ronald Wilson Reagan at the end I thought "WAIT, is he gonna invoke the Number of the Beast? And then BLAMMO, that shit happened.

Life is Good is pretty sweet. Not sure I love it as much as others straight up, but it's definitely good.

Stay is my favourite by miles. Heart-wrenchingly gorgeous.

Summer on Smash is horrendous.

Nas, the modern-day technology storyteller:

This morning I got a call, nearly split my wig
This social network said Nas go and get your kid
She's on Twitter, I know she ain't gon post no pic
Of herself underdressed, no inappropriate shit, right
Her mother cried when she answered
Said she don't know what got inside this child's mind, she planted
A box of condoms on her dresser then she Instagrammed it

He opened for GZA when I saw him and was extremely good. Simon Says was ridiculous. The crowd was going that nuts I'd actually moved about 10 metres forward and closer to the centre by the time the song and moshing were over.

Dude is underrated.

Flying Lotus spun Simon Says when I saw him and I knew I had to hear Internal Affairs. This album is nuts.

PQpIh.png

Liquid Swords got a 10 and best new reissue from p4k today.

Very pleasing. The writer hits on a lot of the thoughts I have about the album. The lyricism and the rhymes are just sublime. They blow me away with every single listen. And the production is phenomenal. RZA genuinely creates an atmosphere. Whenever I listen to Cold World I feel like I need to but a thick jumper on.

My hip-hop Rushmore, as it currently stands:

1. Outkast - Aquemini
Has everything that I love about Outkast - funk, aggression, deep lyrics, fun, effortless vocals, astounding, varying production, much more - all rolled into one package. As good as Southernplayalistic, ATLiens and Stankonia are, this is the one I come back to most often. It has everything.

2. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Probably the best rap album I’ve ever heard. RZA gets a lot of credit for his production, and rightly so, but his style is more laying down good beats and then getting the fuck out of the way to let the rapping shine through. Protect Ya Neck is the best hip-hop track of all time, no contest.

3. Nas - Illmatic
An absolute mastercraft. Not much longer than 40 minutes, no skits to be heard of, just a hungry young rapper trying to make sense of the fucked-up world around him. Sure, Jay-Z has gone on to be more successful, but as much as he dissed Nas (and as good as The Blueprint and Reasonable Doubt are), even he had to admit this is a touchstone of the genre. Unwitable.

4. GZA - Swordsman
GZA is now my favourite member of the clan, and all the reasons why are laid out here. The dude’s lyrics are incredibly potent, and whilst his style doesn’t immediately hit you like Ghostface Killah or Ol’ Dirty Bastard, it will get under your skin. It’s death by a thousand cuts. Swordsman might be one of the most underrated tracks ever.

Albums:

Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - Aquemini
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Madvillain - Madvillainy

I won't even attempt tracks.

It's about time I ventured into this thread.

Guess I'll chime in with the news that I just listened to Illmatic for the first time this week. Something about Nas rubbed me the wrong way when he first hit the scene, but I heard one of the Illmatic songs in a film and checked it out. And I liked it. :up:

I'm making a playlist of hip-hop tracks that go hard and get you fired up. That's it. No pansy bullshit. Yeezy will get two tracks, Power and Niggas In Paris.

Definitely Takeover by Jigga.

I'll post it when I'm done. No reason to upload it anymore since you can just put it together in grooveshark, but yeah.

I haven't done anything with the order, really, but it doesn't matter all that much since the songs are all heading to the same goal:

IT GETS THE PEOPLE GOING!

1. The Throne - Niggas In Paris
2. Kanye West - Monster
3. Jay-Z - Takeover
4. Notorious BIG - Hypnotize
5. Beastie Boys - So Watcha Want
6. The Roots - 75 Bars
7. Wu-Tang - Protect Ya Neck
8. Public Enemy - Fight The Power
9. Nas - Halftime
10. Mobb Deep - Shook Ones, Part 2
11. Raekwon - Ice Cream
12. UGK - Diamonds and Wood
13. O.C. - Time's Up
14. NWA - Straight Outta Compton
15. Ice Cube - No Vaseline
16. Pharoahe Monch feat. Lady Luck, Method Man, Redman, Shabaam Sahdeeq and Busta Rhymes - Simon Says (remix)
17. Ol Dirty Bastard - Shimmy Shimmy Ya
18. Run-DMC - It's Tricky
19. Killer Mike & El-P - Big Beast
20. Outkast - B.O.B.

Might add more later, but this is so dope.

^Nice. :yes:

Especially pleased to see No Vaseline on that list. Mind if I turn that into a playlist on Spotify and give it a listen?

Also: :heart: De La Soul :heart:
Before I kiss myself, I always jump back...

Haven't listened to Rick Ross' album yet, it's had some conflicting reviews, but I tell you what, he absolutely fucking dominates on this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfKVN8S1L7Q

Might be my favourite guest spot on that album, even topping Nicki Minaj's verse on Monster.

My dad's always banging on about shit like "people still remember the classics like Dark Side, Bat Out of Hell, Harvest etc 30 years on and they're timeless, people won't remember the albums coming out today in 30 years" and he's so wrong. Dark Fantasy is one of those albums I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom